World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alreet guys,

hope people are having luck in pulling some supper out of our north sea.

Like any good fisherman I've come to the conclusion that i need to blame my equipment for my lack of a good cast so i've decided i need a multiplier which i will pick up either this months pay day or nexts. I'd appreciate some advice on what to buy.

Looking for something under 50 squid. I've only ever used a multiplier twice before, small reel used for coarse fishing, which resulted in massive bird nests. Can any particular reel/design help the beginner in avoiding nests ? or is it mainly practice and technique ? also, does any particulare line breaking strain or diameter held in reducing nests ?

Don't take the ****, but i'm using a 13ft telescopic beachcaster with a 300g casting limit if that helps with choice of reel.

Would appreciate any guidance/tips in this area. Good forum this, plenty of people helping out and I look forward to the day when i can actually input something worthwhile back.

Have fun and good luck all :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hi mate multiplier is definatly the way forward, but saying that good fixed spool rods and reels can be just as good, i think your rod is going to be your biggest let down with a multiplier a decent reel to start with for cheapness is abu 7000 it all depends if you will need a level wind reel or not its better without one but alot of people have probs to start, ive said this before but people just think i take the pi** if your willing to learn and listen im willing to teach i have some old reels which work fine i just dont use them much i usally have plenty spare time during the weekdays and if you want to get down on a beach practice just let me no this way you will no if you can handle multipliers or not without going out spending any money.

I must state tho only if serious and willing to learn and take things in i'll sort it all out for you i done this with hibbdogg and hes come along way in just over a year of fishing.

Paul

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wouldn't use a multi with a telescopic rod, the line guides would be too far apart. The type of terrain you plan to fish determines the breaking strain line you need to use and together with the length of line needed determines the size reel ou need. It's also unlikely you could get a reasonable quality multi for less than £60.
It's more likely your tele rod is to blame for your lack of a good cast - you'd probably do better by spending the £50 on a better rod.

tight lines,

Geoff

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi mate multiplier is definatly the way forward, but saying that good fixed spool rods and reels can be just as good, i think your rod is going to be your biggest let down with a multiplier a decent reel to start with for cheapness is abu 7000 it all depends if you will need a level wind reel or not its better without one but alot of people have probs to start, ive said this before but people just think i take the pi** if your willing to learn and listen im willing to teach i have some old reels which work fine i just dont use them much i usally have plenty spare time during the weekdays and if you want to get down on a beach practice just let me no this way you will no if you can handle multipliers or not without going out spending any money.

I must state tho only if serious and willing to learn and take things in i'll sort it all out for you i done this with hibbdogg and hes come along way in just over a year of fishing.

Paul
you can't go wrong if you take Paul up on his offer.

F

·
0 Posts
Hi mate a lot of shops have really good quality second hand reels in. glasgow angling center have some excellent deals on a the moment. Again it depends what you want for summer bottom fishing a niece out fit is a Conoflex flattie fanatic and a abu 6500 mag elite but if you want an all rounder rod a century tip tornado does the job with a penn mag or supermag but you will have to pay good money. If you are just starting with a multiplier try and get a abu 6500 with a levelwind on just until you get use to casting, you can still get a good cast with one of these even with a level wind on you can get good quality abu 6500 mag elites 2nd had for 35 quid to 40 quid.
Hope this information helps mate:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'd defo change the rod before you buy a new reel. I fish with a Penn rod and matching mag extra, I'm not bad at casting but i've seen guys with a good fixed spool set up completely annihalate my distance ability.

A fixed spool reel doesn't really do anything during the cast, its a simple line storage and recovery system whereas a multiplier is active during the cast and the cheaper ones out there aren't so good. A half decent fixed spool reel can be picked up for less than £40 with the only real difference being build quality, as long as the spool is the right shape and filled correctly there isn't much difference between them in terms of distance ability.

The rod on the other hand has a major impact on cast distance assuming it's wielded correctly. Tele rods are great for lighter work and have obvious benfits for travelling anglers but due to the way they are constructed you can never load up a tele as you could even a cheaper two pce rod.

Get yourself a decent rod to start with and get some casting lessons from Big P.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

I appreciate my rod is going to be a stumbling block at the mo' but the current reel i have is even worse than the rod and finances dictate i need to upgrade the reel first and the rod later.
I only started out sea fishing as an alternative to coarse fishing but i am itching to start pulling in some edible sea fish so i will be upgrading as i go along.

Bigpaul, appreciate the offer, very good of you to offer a multiplier session. If you're still open to that next month, I'd be keen to take you up on that offer. I'll im you next month if thats good with you :) If i can't get to grips with a multiplier then I'll get a decent fixed spool.

Thanks again guys and good luck all if yous are out this weekend

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Thanks guys

I appreciate my rod is going to be a stumbling block at the mo' but the current reel i have is even worse than the rod and finances dictate i need to upgrade the reel first and the rod later.
I only started out sea fishing as an alternative to coarse fishing but i am itching to start pulling in some edible sea fish so i will be upgrading as i go along.

Bigpaul, appreciate the offer, very good of you to offer a multiplier session. If you're still open to that next month, I'd be keen to take you up on that offer. I'll im you next month if thats good with you :) If i can't get to grips with a multiplier then I'll get a decent fixed spool.

Thanks again guys and good luck all if yous are out this weekend
no probs mate just send me a pm be glad to help mate

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
my mate has a skakespeare powerplY multi

its a 6500 clone - and i am sure the innards won't be as strong as abu - but it casts brilliant and no trouble in 6 months

about 35-40 squidlies - so yould cut your teeth on it before shelling out real brass for your second and proper reel

al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts