World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of buying a multiplier reel after x-mas
i have only just starting fishing about 3 months ago but have been looking at multipliers
i have a okuma fixed spool but i dont like it
can u recomend a begginer multiplier reel please!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
What sort of ground are you fishing over Beefcake ?

Daiwa 7HT is an excellent reel to learn with straight from the box (worked for me), but the small handle makes retrieving slow which is a problem on anything other than clean beaches.

Abu Mag Elite is slightly more expensive. Fool proof for casting and happy over mixed ground. For pure casting I love 'em (although I have had problems with re-engaging the spool after casting)

Penn Mag 525 IMHO is an excellent all round reel, but defo not the best to learn with because it is quite fast straight from the box and needs tuning down a bit. The new supermag should be more user friendly (slower).

Any of the above reels would be money well spent - it really does come down to personal choice/opinion. Most importantly, learn a simple casting style. Try to find a local casting instructor who will show you the way, and also explain how to set your reel up so that it is controllable.

Let us know which one you decide to go for.

Good luck.

T

·
0 Posts
I have got both Mag elite and Penn mag, as said previously, both great reels, but prefer the penn mag.

As Manx said, it is a very fast reel, had it explode on me, luckily had a spare (the mag elite) I purchased extra mags, the reel is less ruthless now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
look at the akios 656 reels theyre relatively new,,,have brilliant mag braking ,,centrifugal brakes and the centre bullet pressure brake,,what can possibly go wrong ! all for £100, and they are solid, probably the best off the shelf reels out there right now, buy right the first time ,

·
Registered
31 Posts
7ht, best out of the box easy far casting reel, i'd recommend one to anyone for a first multi, can get them second hand for around £50 aswell, so cheap

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well my first multi was the Daiwa Sealine X 30SHA. The shop I bought it from recommended putting the larger brake blocks in and they did this for me. I got to grips with this reel straight away, found it very easy to use, nice large handle and good retrieve rate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Buy the old model Penn 525 (Slidey) and pick up some extra rare earth magnets for about a tenner off amazon and then just attach them to the inside of the magnet plate (on the opposite side of the magnet housing) if the reel runs a little to fast for you. (I can show you an example if your struggling to follow what I mean)

The 525 has got to be the best all round multiplier and will enable you to use the same reel for any ground you fish.

You can pick up one in perfect condition for around £50-70 on ebay so have a look on there mate.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Irritating when noobs drag up old threads while searching about, what a bellend

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
All the suggestions here would work fine and whehn it comes to reels there are many fan boys who will recommend their reel!

My only suggestion would be to buy a used reel off of fleebay or on the classifieds here, no need to go spanking out lots of money if you don't yet know how you're going to get on. Also, unless you also buy a multiplier rod you won't get all the benefits of that new multiplier.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Sorry tired but the thread is 9 years old so no real need to recommend him a reel anymore

1 - 19 of 19 Posts