World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Beefcake,

Save your money until you have enough to buy a new one or a good second hand one. You wont get anything for £30 pounds.

Have a look at the second hand adverts in the Sea Angler, I have bought a few odds and ends through them and have been extremely lucky.

Ask your family to club together for your next birthday and buy yourself a decent reel, Abu, Shimano or Daiwa, the rest are rubbish.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
754 Posts
i'll aggree with that - when i first took up angling again i first bought a ron thompson multi for 20 odd quid , then upgraded to a shakespeare xk 400 for 40 odd quid. To put it another way i wasted £60 which is almost what i paid for my first slosh.
unless you get very lucky , cheap tackle is a waste of money , save up and buy some good stuff. Also keep a eye on ebay , i got lucky the other week and got a slosh 20 for £40

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
beefcake you're not listening.

daiwa abu penn.

the rest are a waste of money.

Torbay angling are doing slosch20/30 for £65.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Beefcake

As the guys have already said, it might not be what you want to hear, but unfortunately there is no such thing as a good cheap multiplier. Expect to spend £70+ (new), and stick to abu/daiwa/penn. One of the benefits of posting questions on forums like this is that you can learn from others mistakes without having to make them yourself.

A cheap multiplier will be next to useless, be a pain to use and will put you off them for life.

A quality multiplier will always keep its resale value so if you find that you don't like it then you can sell it for a good price.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

What about chipping in a couple of quid each and buying Beefcake a decent reel for his birthday or making a contribution towards one?

His contributions to the forum are well worth a thank you.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
i bought a ron thompson combo uptide rod with a okuma 300 multiplier.
i am going out of bradwell on sunday let you no how it was.
ps i have been over the local park with it and it seems to cast ok 60 yards or so with no birdsnests.
it seems a bit plasticky but like they say you get what you pay for. like you i am new to multipliers so didnt want to spend to much on my first rod+reel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all.....
I've just taken some pics of several of the multi's I have so I can post them on here, but I just realised that you cant post pics on this site. shame.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jim,

I used to fish out out of Bradwell on the "Vicky Emma", who are you going out with?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
john rawle on kingfisher.
although looking on the vickyemma website terry batt says he is of to florida this week with john rawle who has a boat out there.
so i think we will have a stand in skipper. iwent out with jon rawle last around october time and we caught mostly codling whiting odd pounting+doggies and one bass. i am hoping for a better day this time as most of the fish were quite small apart from the bass 4-5 pound.
our last trip was called of due to wind. and sundays forcast is for wind +rain so fingers crossed.
i will let you no how i get on weather permiting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a 7HT that looks like its been in a cement mixer for an hour but,it still works a treat and casts well over 100 yards with a clipped down worm bait. it must be coming up to 12 yrs old now. the only bad point is the retreive with a good fish on......takes ages.also got anSL30 which is probably the best all round multi i've ever bought.Save up and gat a decent multi not a crappy one.

F

·
0 Posts
Drew said:
Save your money until you have enough to buy a new one or a good second hand one. You wont get anything for £30 pounds.
I beg to differ. I have just bought a lovely condition Abu 6500 C3 off ebay for £26 :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew
"Save your money until you have enough to buy a new one or a good second hand one. You wont get anything for £30 pounds."

Hi Flounder,

As I said "or a good second hand one".

You wont get a good new one for £30!!!!

No offence

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Drew said:
Hi Beefcake,

Have a look at the second hand adverts in the Sea Angler, I have bought a few odds and ends through them and have been extremely lucky.

Ask your family to club together for your next birthday and buy yourself a decent reel, Abu, Shimano or Daiwa, the rest are rubbish.

Cheers

Drew

what bout penn , decent reels and not half the price as most shimanos

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hi boys i just posted a thread on the shore fishing forum about ray fishing but when i try 2 post a reply it says its closed-lockr=ed and i cant post

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Rock Hopper,

Not half as good either.

Penn is a swear word to me, I refuse to purchase anything with their name on it.

Their marketing technique is the pits. Buy the rod get the reel free!!!! Buy the reel get the rod free!!!! Buy a rod get another one free!!!! Buy a reel get another free, and so on. Cheap American r*****h as far as I am concerned

Speaks for itself.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
rockhopper that thread on rays was closed for a reason. u can always start another thread on the subject of rays if you wish, you can start a thread about anything to do with fishing, or a thread on non fishing in the non fishing thread m8.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts