World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've dabbled at shore fishing for year, but recently decided to step up and go more often.......so I want to buy a multiplier.

My local tackle dealer recommended going for a Penn 525 super mag.

Is this a good choice for a beginner with multipliers?

I've seen other anglers with multipliers, they all seem to use right handed multipliers.........is there any reason why right handed is preferable to left?

Thanks.

Kev

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
it depends if you are right or left handed lol. but that reel i personally would not giv to a newbie, just my opinion m8........

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Kev

Not being sarcastic, but they are for right handed anglers.

Right handed anglers use their left hand when using a FS reel. I don't know why. I use my right hand for both multipliers and FS.

As for buying a new multiplier nobody but nobody can advise you. Everybody who has an Abu Mag Elite will say that it is the best, others who have the Penn will say that theirs is the best and those with both will inform you what they think is best and so it goes on.

I have used an Abu since they first came out and think that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has never let me down yet, and easy to maintain. I have used a friends Penn but didn't think it was as good as the Abu.

Never listen to the guys in the shop, all they want to do is make a sale and collect the maximum profit. Make up your own mind by asking the lads on the beach, and then deciding.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
961 Posts
Abu or Penn ..... just make sure you get a mag version of either, the daiwa 7ht is also supposed to be a forgiving reel as well.

for distance best to get a model without a levelwind.

If you fancy a mag reel its worth having a look on Ebay for good prices.

I have found as a right hander that when fishing very light, the reel handle on the left feels most comfortable but as soon as bigger leads, etc are used the handle on the right feels better !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Kev

I have a Daiwa 7HT, Abu Sportsmag and a Penn Supermag.

For a first multiplier I would recommend the 7HT to anyone as some people find that the Abu's runs too fast and the Penn can be a bit bulky. I know that there is a trend towards mag controlled reels but of the three I still find the Daiwa the most forgiving.

They are all great reels so no matter which one you buy you won't go far wrong.

Lee 337.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
hi,
i recently switched to multipliers, i made the mistake of buying a cheap shakespear one, i lost more kit than the real was worth.
i've since bought a penn 525 super mag an i can't go wrong, i have only cracked of once (that was my fault) and i have added at least 30yrds to my casts.
i havn't tried many other multiplers but i made the same move as ur making and i have found it perfect.
the only thing i would recormend is before u try for distance thnk about how ur casting and concentrate on making it smoother before u ease off on the brakes.

Tozer

·
Registered
7 Posts
as i am sure most here that have used the normal mag it has meny problams. firstly is the unstable overuns. this is said to be due to the tournement oil used and say you should flush it out and put thicker oil in. this helps but cuts distance down and dose not compleatly fix the problam. you still end up with overruns with brakes full on you being a beginer with the multiplyer is a no go!!

however i bought the supermag when it came on the market and have not changed the oil and can cast time after time with a zipplex f zero and a 7 oz led and cannot overun it. i have tryed and tryed snapping and whipping and i find it impossable to overrun. this is set on fast. only when i had a large bate on full and casted a wee bit low.. come on we all do it now and again.. i had a small overun. i can sit here and tell everyone. pro or first timer. this is the best casting reel on the market. if anyone has one that they dont like i am going to bye another so let me know and i will give you good value for it.... hope this helps

one problam i have found. if you are spooling with 25lb or above you could find yourself empting the spool i use diawa 15lb tournement now and have some left on the spool to spare

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drew said:
Hi Kev

Not being sarcastic, but they are for right handed anglers.

Right handed anglers use their left hand when using a FS reel. I don't know why. I use my right hand for both multipliers and FS.

As for buying a new multiplier nobody but nobody can advise you. Everybody who has an Abu Mag Elite will say that it is the best, others who have the Penn will say that theirs is the best and those with both will inform you what they think is best and so it goes on.

I have used an Abu since they first came out and think that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has never let me down yet, and easy to maintain. I have used a friends Penn but didn't think it was as good as the Abu.

Never listen to the guys in the shop, all they want to do is make a sale and collect the maximum profit. Make up your own mind by asking the lads on the beach, and then deciding.

Cheers

Drew

great advice. see i have used both but will swear by the supermag.
try and ask lads on beach for a cast with them and see what is right for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts