World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THE GAME AND LOOKING TO PURCHASE A MULTIPLIER REEL FOR DISTANCE CASTING YET I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT GEAR RATIO'S AND BRAKING SYSTEMS ETC, CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ABOUT THEESE TOPICS i.e THE BEST AND WORST GEAR RATIO ETC :(

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Colin,

The Abu Mag Elite for distance casting is the number 1.

If distance casting is the main priority then forget about gear ratios etc. The Mag Elite is the best on the market. Purchase it, ask the dealer to put in the brake blocks i.e. if you can't do it yourself, slide the magnetic brake on and away you go, not forgetting to load the real with a good quality line.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drew, I was planning to purchase it from the internet-how hard is it to fit brake blocks?

M

·
0 Posts
brake blocks are an absolute doddle to fit but i am not sure if the mag elites have them in the box. it has been a while since i bought them, so check with the dealer and if they don't they are cheap to buy anyway.
These are definitely top notch casting reels and the magnets will help you learn to cast a multiplier no end.
cheers Karl

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Are you sure you need a multiplier? They don't give any more distance, are slower on the retrieve and fixed spools are a lot less hassle. I've come to realise over the years that 90% of the marks I've fished could be handled using a fixed spool reel. Only the really heavy rough stuff needs a multiplier. In fact I plan on switching over to fixed spools for all my clean/mixed ground work with one of those new long rods (I fancy the K2 Titaniums by Shakespeare).

I'll say it again. Multipliers do not give you distance - no matter what the "experts" say. Learn to cast well with a fixed spool and then consider switching.

Rhod.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow ...some interesting comments... the one i cant get my head around is the one regarding "multipliers cant cast further than a fixed spool no matter what the EXPERTS say"

Funny how all the casting experts (world champions) use them for all their competitions isnt it.

But hey...each to thier own thats what I say, if you can catch the fish your targeting who's to say what is right or wrong.

Regards
Nigel-MULTIPLIER USE
ABU 6500C3 Ct elite
abu 7000
diawa sl30sh
shimano TLD25

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

My favourite subject.

If you hold an Abu 6500 Mag Elite in one hand and a Daiwa Emblem EME 5000 or any other top quality fixed spool reel in the other you will soon discover why most dedicated fisherman prefer multipliers for beachcasting. There is no comparison. I agree that both will do the job equally as well, both are top of the market reels but the Abu speaks for itself. It is a beautifull piece of engineering. To those of you who have never held one, have a go the next time you are in your tackle shop.

I rest my case.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
188 Posts
I find the Abu range a dream to cast with ,I have a few of them and I honestly believe they are giving me the distance I require.I base this on the years I fished with the fixed spools ,yes I agree they are easier to retrieve ,less hassle, and maintanence requires little or no mechanical skills.
However Once a multi is set for your particular casting style and abilty there no comparision in using them.As for maintenence the following link will give you the schematics for any of the range a little computer knowledge will allow you to enlarge them and stripping one down is no problem.
http://www.abu-garcia.com/schematics/index.cfm

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sorry to go on but pixybasher is right - and wrong. Yes, under TOURNAMENT conditions multipliers are slightly better. Ever been to a tournament? Impressive distances are achieved! Quite scary to mere mortals like me. But look - flat, firm casting surface, a tail wind if possible, usually nice and dry as well. Compare this with a typical fishing mark/conditions! I'm sorry, but under fishing conditions fixed spools are just as good (if not better) for distance than multipliers, especially with lighter lines.
I'm not accusing anybody of this but there is a bit of a macho culture thing in our country regarding powerful rods and multipliers. My 12 year old summed it up the other day (he really studies Sea Angler). He said "I want to learn how to use a multiplier coz that means you're a good angler". Thats the impression the magazines give. Likewise if you want distance, buy a multiplier with the "distance" label in the advertising hype. It's all bullshit.
A good angler is one who catches fish - and enjoys doing it.
If you want distance, there are no shortcuts I'm afraid. You must learn how to cast. And, let's be honest, most of us are crap at casting because we don't spend time on developing this skill. But if you're catching fish, who cares?

Yours frustrated that relative beginners are being conned into buying tackle that may even put them off the whole wonderful world of fishing by making it more difficult for them than it really needs to be,

Rhod.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well said Rhod.

IMHO : For fishing purposes, a fixed spool will be better for the angler who is just starting out. They will cast further with it, more time will be spent with bait actually in the water and so more fish will be caught. Angling will be more enjoyable as a consequence, and so the angler is likely to continue to fish for many years.

Learn to fish first, then think about changing to a multiplier.

I use mutlipliers for all my fishing apart from light tackle close in / spinning simply because they feel so much nicer to use. There is also a sense of satifaction when you cast a multiplier nicely and hear it sing. Truth is, the fish don't care what tackle I use and I dont catch any more (or any less) fish for using a multiplier.

It is a minefield for the new angler - the first place they look for info is invariably the angling magazines, which I think set them off in totally the wrong direction by focusing on tackle (which coincidentally their advertisers happen to sell...). The important thing is to learn about is the fish you are hoping to catch - for most species the tackle is not that important, its the where, when and how that need to be figured out, and this is done by understanding the fish (what/where/when/how it eats)

A good angler will catch fish with very basic tackle.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Manx Fisher said:
Well said Rhod.

I use mutlipliers for all my fishing apart from light tackle close in / spinning simply because they feel so much nicer to use. There is also a sense of satifaction when you cast a multiplier nicely and hear it sing.

A good angler will catch fish with very basic tackle.
Hi Folks,

The answer is above.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts