World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Like everyone else I am looking for advice.
I have always fished using fixed spool reels and I have had no trouble with them.
However a friend recently lent me a small multiplier (Abu 5500) I have been having great fun with it.
I am thinking of moving over to multis but I dont want to dive in as I can't afford to change all of my kit.
I will have to use my FS rods with a multi for a while :g: !!

So, I am looking for advice.
What multi should I be looking for with a budget of about £100 (maybe a combo?).
I would prefer something a big bigger than the 5500 as I use 18-20lb for general fishing.

I fish on Chesil and Bristol channel so the reel will have to handle clean and rough
ground and be easy on a beginner.
I know that there are budget reels out there but I have been caught buying cheap stuff before so I would like to avoid them unless you guys know better.

Hope there are lots of good ideas out there!!:notworthy

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You can get a brand new Daiwa 7HT or Abu 6500 CT mag elite for £69.99. Both will cast very well, although i have replaced the bearings on mine with ceramic bearings and use TG's rocket fuel. The 7HT is very user friendly and casts well straight from the box, the Abu works best if the bearings are re-oiled with a lower viscosity oil. The Abu has better magnetic cast control though which could be a deciding factor for you though. Take a look at both and see what you prefer before you buy one, for £70 though they are both a bargain!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get a brand new Daiwa 7HT or Abu 6500 CT mag elite for £69.99. Both will cast very well, although i have replaced the bearings on mine with ceramic bearings and use TG's rocket fuel. The 7HT is very user friendly and casts well straight from the box, the Abu works best if the bearings are re-oiled with a lower viscosity oil. The Abu has better magnetic cast control though which could be a deciding factor for you though. Take a look at both and see what you prefer before you buy one, for £70 though they are both a bargain!
Thanks for the info!
Is one of these better for rough ground than the other?
I've heard that the Abu isn't so good but that was from a Penn user.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
In that case i would go for a Penn 525mag if you intend to fish rough ground. The Abu 6500 and Daiwa 7HT are not up to rougher ground with heavier lines. The Penn 525 is a good allrounder and can be used with lines from 15lb up to 30lb. You could have a look at the Okuma Magnetix 20, they cast well and are only £54.99 however there are question marks over the low spool capacity and durability.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you I think mate, new to multi's and all that, I seem to have spent an age reading posts on here on the subject. I think i'm going to have a try with a daiwa slosh 20, will apparently handle jusy about anything, reasonably easy to use and I've also seen them on T'internet for £60, hope that helps mate:g: :g:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you want a tough, reliable reel for a mix of grounds have a look at the daiwa slosh20 and the any of the penn 525 range. My choice would be a 525mag/supermag/mag xtra/supermag xtra!! Any of these 525 models are well capable of long distances and are suitable for various lines (I use 18-20lb in the winter, 10-12lb in the summer)

The slosh's are extremely strong, powerfull reels but lack the magnetic braking of the 525 range. A magnetically braked sl20sh would be nice - hint hint Daiwa!! :kissing:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its getting interesting now!
I see the slosh 20/30 on the internet for about £70 and the 525 mag xtra for £110.
Is the 525 and the magnets worth the difference in price?
I also take it from whats been written that they are both better allrounders than the 7HT or the Abu mag elite.
Or have I got that the wrong way round?:)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I also take it from whats been written that they are both better allrounders than the 7HT or the Abu mag elite.
No you have it right, the penn (in my opinion) is the ultimate all rounder and a better reel than the slosh - however I don't know about the new shv range of slosh's as I only have the old model.

In terms of fishing - atleast my fishing - I can't compare the abu to a 525, there is no competition whatsoever....525 wins hands down. But my opinion may not be totally valid.....I dislike abu's, I find them weak and poorly constructed....flimsy would be the best description. I bought an abu sportsmag (granted its one of the poorer abu's) with casting predominantly in mind but also fishing, but my experience of it is that it's simply not up to fishing!! They are very smooth casting but I like a little power and this is where the 525 really delivers (preparing for abu's fans to attack!! :blink: )

You're best bet would be to try or atleast have a look at all the reels mentioned and draw your own conclusions from your experiences :fish:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i am sure many others will agree that the best 'allrounder' is either the Penn 525 mag or the Daiwa SL20SH. i personally prefer the Penn due to its mag brakes and i find it more user friendly, although many will argue that they prefer the Daiwa Slosh. Have a look at both and see what you think, if price is an issue than the Daiwa is considerably cheaper than the Penn.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Its getting interesting now!
I see the slosh 20/30 on the internet for about £70 and the 525 mag xtra for £110.
Is the 525 and the magnets worth the difference in price?
the slosh & the 525 can cope with the rough ground m8t, i used my slosh20 for the rock ends & off the cliffs it took alot of hammer & still runs fine, just use it off the beaches now 15lb line. use the 525 & 535's in the rough stuff.
would'nt like 2 try the 7ht or the mag elite off the marks i fish:)
better 2 go 4 slosh & 525,all round reels:clap2:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well you know my opion mate. The new 6500ct premium is a far better reel and smoother than the abu of recenet time thinking of getting one my self for light fishing (also matches the whipping on me tt sport) (bit of a tart) hasn't got the balls of the 525.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who posted.
So far I'm leaning towards SL20SH just because of the price difference with the 525.
With the 30-40 squid difference in price I might be able to pick up a multiplier rod instead of having to use one of my FS rods.

Any ideas????:whistling

M

·
0 Posts
Rods that are set up for using with a fixed-spool reel have fewer rod rings as the line is not going to be on top of the blank, whereas the rings on a rod set up for using with a multiplier a greater in number to prevent any line coming in contact with the rod during the cast and whilst playing any fish.

I think Multiplier rods are OK to use with FS reels, but (I think) multplier reels can't be used on a rod for FS use.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong / try explain this a bit better than I have, please.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know its not good to use a FS rod with a multiplier but at the moment I don't know if I'm going full speed down the multiplier lane.

Its a simple question of pennies - I don't have enough:cry:

I have already been told that I can't simply whip in another couple of eyes because it will alter the whole stiffness of the rod.

As I said, unless I can get a decent multiplier rod for £30-40 then I will have to use my FS rods until I decide if multis are really for me.

This will be the first time that I hope I don't hook anything big enough to test the rod:unsure:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You will get a Greys GRX-s for £75 from Harris Sports Mail. Or you can get the same rod with a Penn 525Mag Xtra for £150 from the G.A.C. A good rod for little money, and if you search forums many will agree with me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a link for the G.A.C. combo?
I cant find it on their site.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for trying.
It's the story of my life, especially fishing - you should have been here yesterday, it was great!

I can't even get Harris Sports Mail to work properly, nothing seems to have any prices:giveup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Iv Got A Slosh 20 Great Reel Does Everything I Ask Of It,interesting Point I Also Have The Newer Slosh20shv,wish I Would Have Saved Some Money The Older Model Is Way Better!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts