World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multipliers are ruining my life. I have tried all different makes and models and the only one that is working is the slosh.

My question(s) to you.........

> Can you use a fixed spool rod on a rod ringed for a multi - i.e. Greys Apollo MK II? What are the disadvantages of using a multi rod other than buying a fixed spool rod.

> I currently have a Penn 525 Mag Extra and the aforementioned rod. If I were to swap over to a FS setup, I would be after something similar in setup, i.e. not too flimsy and will drag me through weed/rock when fishing heavy ground. What rods and reels am I looking at?

Yours in anticipation.

Jon

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Jon,

What are the problems that you are having with multipliers?

The difference in the rods are that one rung for fixed spool have a larger bottom ring to cope with the line comming off the reel in loops as opposed to a straight(ish) feed. Also the rings are fitted to the opposite side of the 'spine' of the rod (though this is not as critical with modern manufacuring processes).

If you are fishing heavy ground I would stick with the multiplier setup as it will cope with those conditions better that a fixed spool.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I can only base my answer on a conversation I had with Lew Marsden
of Century Rods (one O their design team).

I asked him the same Q....albeit for me it would be over mostly clean to mixed ground casting and providing you are NOT looking to cast over 140yds which I cant with a bait/lead on with either multi or FS their range of rods ringed with standard BNGH guides he suggested that they should suffice....but did point out that ring spacing and guide size would determine your casting distances with two different reel types.

That said,I have seen the rods I use for sale with FS guides on them (Gerrys) so I guess its a question of if you can afford both then go for it.

But as I cant at present I enjoy using their TT supermatch 2009 model and 15 foot BB with a 525 supermag and a shimano biomaster without to much difficulty.

soz,cant offer any help re ruff ground combinations but if you ring lisa @ century she may be able to put you in touch with Lew and as mentioned he is a mind of info that may be able to guide you better.

Gaz

·
Registered
157 Posts
Multipliers are ruining my life.
LOL...this gave me a giggle. Thought that a few times myself. Maybe its worth cracking the problem with the multipliers rather than spending dosh on changing your set up?...dont know mate...as said it depends on what ground you fish on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
its funny but I fish with both, I normally fish two rods one with a abu 6500 mag elite and the other with a fixed spool I have several. I actually like both, but actually feel whilst I lose a tiny amoutn of distance withthe fixed spool than I do with the multi, performance they both work and i enjoy them both. I have a pair of Penn Power stix 15 ft now and they are a joy to use with both set ups. if I fish night I often fish with two FS simply for ease of getting them out there etc.

i rarely fish rough ground but if you buy high end FS they will easily deal with most situations including the rough side of things imo

I have decided its what suits the individual more than anything, and above all else catching fish !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)

Mainly rough ground...

I have an abu 6500 mag elite, a penn 525 mag extra slowed right down and i've used a mates slosh 30. I can wallop the slosh about 160-170 yards off the ground and its fine but as soon as I give it some with either of the other 2 mentioned..............heart = broken.

I've had my abu looked at several times thinking it was the reel itself and it isnt. I then bought the Penn and have the same problems but not quite as bad.

First cast yesterday using the Penn, into a strong left to right cross wind went fine, however the line went slack due to the wind and got caught under a rock > Snap (nothing to do with the reel, I know). Loaded shockleader back on, 2nd cast, line got caught on thumby and snapped (nothing to do with the reel, I know) - however after having so many frustrating sessions, I decided to stick my FS on the Apollo. Definately not as much power in the retrieve - I had to pump the rod several times to get it through the weed, but it made me think - Is there a nice strong FS reel out there that would do the trick, instead of spending all night crying on the beach wanting to take a brick to my reel.

Jon

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have problems with fixed spools! I have at least 3 that have a broken drag knob. One of which now has a nut screwed up tight instead. My newest one, which, although a Fladen did cost me about £50 keeps wrapping line round the back of the spool onto the spindle.
Only use a FS for spinning. Give me a Mag 525 anyday!

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Have you thought about buying a Slosh instead of a fixed spool?

:)

I can wallop the slosh about 160-170 yards off the ground and its fine but as soon as I give it some with either of the other 2 mentioned..............heart = broken.

Jon
A couple of questions spring to mind. 1) What diameter line are you using (or breaking strain?) Using heavy line on a baitcasting reel like the 6500 can lead to problems, especially if 2) you say off the ground but is this a "proper" OTG cast or is it a glorified over head thump? Again if you are a big lad (and if you play tighthead I'm guessing you are) and giving it a wallop with an agricultural technique you are asking for trouble, especially with the Penn which can be notoriously difficult to tame.

I live Durham City way and would be happy to meet up on a field for a couple of casting lessons if you like. Or if you definitely want shot I'll take both reels off your hands for you :bleh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Casting lessons sound ideal - It does feel as though I snatch at the cast sometimes. I have no confidence in my casting at all and I think thats half the trouble.

18lb Diawa sensor with 60lb shock.

I work in Durham so could meet you sometime after work.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I've sent you a pm

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Have you thought about buying a Slosh instead of a fixed spool?

I live Durham City way and would be happy to meet up on a field for a couple of casting lessons if you like. Or if you definitely want shot I'll take both reels off your hands for you :bleh:
that's a cracking offer dude, glad to see it's been accepted.

Tighthead3,

i've said to plenty of people in the past... confidence is key with multipliers, doesn't matter if it's an old seastreak from the 70's or a brand new top end super fast magged reel, smooth and confident will see it on it's way,

sure, there'll be mishaps along the way but, once you've sussed it there'll be few headaches to come.

Hugh

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am looking to purchase a new reel for all round usage. I am new to sea fishing but like the idea of a multiplier. What are the pro's and cons of an abu garcia 6500 c3 over a similarly priced fix spool? Also what other multipliers can be purchased at a similar or more competitive price, shimano td?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have problems with fixed spools! I have at least 3 that have a broken drag knob. One of which now has a nut screwed up tight instead. My newest one, which, although a Fladen did cost me about £50 keeps wrapping line round the back of the spool onto the spindle.
Only use a FS for spinning. Give me a Mag 525 anyday!
gotta say mate sounds like a case of bad workman blaming his tools!!!!! ok you aint had a decent f/spool but still no reason to overtighten the dragnut!!! ive been fishing f/spool and multi for 35 years and never knackered a drag on either and i use a f/spool nearly every session and when i didnt have decent ones even the £15 shakey ones never let me down

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 6500's dont take much line. Enough for 1-2 decent casts I reckon - after that, if you snap off, you'll probably have to set the whole thing up again. They are quick but more of a casting reel than a fishing reel. Wouldn't recommend over rough ground. Can't really comment on the comparison against fixed spool reels...

If you're new to multipliers - Slosh 30 is the way forward........... Bomb proof!

·
Registered
84 Posts
gotta say mate sounds like a case of bad workman blaming his tools!!!!! ok you aint had a decent f/spool but still no reason to overtighten the dragnut!!! ive been fishing f/spool and multi for 35 years and never knackered a drag on either and i use a f/spool nearly every session and when i didnt have decent ones even the £15 shakey ones never let me down
Lol, probably true! To be honest I never really know what to do with the drag so tend to leave it tightened up. I have always fished either on my own or with my daughter so until recently I never had this wealth of information and advice which you could find on forums. Books are ok to a point but are not always clear.
Lots of people learn from others they are fishing with but it's difficult to find a fishing partner when you're a woman. I did look at joining a club once but gave up when they didn't send me the info they had promised. Besides I'm not really into comps. I am going to try Bass fishing on a running ledger with the drag backed off this year. Trouble is I don't know how far to back it off or when, if or how much to tighten it up if I get a fish on. Guess it will be trial and error and if it doesn't work I'll probably go back to what I normally do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The phrase I'd use is "Horses for Courses" - it all depends on the kind of fishing you do, and what you feel comfortable with (or can learn to feel comfortable with).

I haven't fished a "bang it right out" mark for quite a while now - mainly because I don't much enjoy fishing with leads above 3oz - so quite a lot of the fishing I do isn't suited to full-on beachcasting gear. I use a fixed spool quite a lot, but would go for a multiplier every time if I'm fishing with a running ledger (often close in) - or any other time I want to allow a fish to run with the bait . For that an old Mitchell multiplier still works well - as much as anything because it takes a lot of punishment and you can't miss the sound of the ratchet!

Using a lighter 1-3oz rod, I find you can swap from one reel type to the other without any great problems, as they aren't optimised for one type of reel and so ring size and ring type/spacing isn't so critical.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Casting lessons sound ideal - It does feel as though I snatch at the cast sometimes. I have no confidence in my casting at all and I think thats half the trouble.

18lb Diawa sensor with 60lb shock.

I work in Durham so could meet you sometime after work.
YES it sounds like you are snatching, you are puting toomuch torque on to the reel, magged reels, the ones you have been having problems with will fly at tremendouns speeds, im guessing your blowing your reels up? also bigger baits will slow your bait down during casts and cause birdies,

slow your cast right down, compress the rod gently then give it a bit more power towards the last part of the cast,
this will be more progressive rather than the aggressive style it sounds like you have,

try that, go to the sea withjust a lead wieght and try, if all else fails go to a casting day, im sure theres some good lads that will sort you out no probs,
its all just practice :fishing:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yes m8, you can use Fixed spool reels on Multi rods, not ideal if you want total distance but perfectly usable.
All my rods apart from one are multi's and get used for both type's of reel. I fish rocks and that means fixed spool work for the faster retrieve, clean or mixed ground is when my multi's go on, or sometimes I use small fixed spools.

Gail! get the drag off, no need to keep it up tight. when its in the rod rest slacken it off a bit so as a fish can take line under pressure and not drag the rod into the sea..lol

lighty

·
Registered
228 Posts
if you did chose a f/s instead then the better reele are usually the expensive ones. the daiwa windcast z/x ld are a very good reel and have a locking switch, lots of line(530m) and a coned spool.

i am the other way ....I'm fighting not to buy a multi and i like my fixed spool reels.i guess each to their own.

dave

·
Registered
381 Posts
I do not get on with 525 mag.. In my opinion they are over-rated and blow up for the craic sometimes.. I found it u put 25lb line onto the 525 mag it behaves a little better...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts