World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i was just poping up the question as i am thinking of geting a new reel my current fixed spoon is geting on abit, i had a multiplier for a short period but broke rather quickly, found it so much more fun and satisfing that chucking out a plug on fixed spool. i was just wondering are multipliers suitable when working a lure and jerking the line, as when my dad had to change from multiplyer as he claimed the line bedded in when working the lure and on casting caused bird nests, so just asking for feedback on people useing multiplyer when plugging and if any problem problem ? i will be using lures around 20-25 g on 15lb line

·
Registered
183 Posts
i use a small abu 5500 with 8 lb line throwing spinners and plugs without any troubles at all. but answering are multipliers suitable when working lure nah not its not as easy to answer really its all down to personal preferance what you feel most comfortable with .

but i will say your probably better off with a fixed spool for lighter lures . plus your gonna have less troble with the fixed spool if your not proficient with casting a multi.

in your dads case with the reel nesting up id say wasit nt down to line beading in the spool id say the lures were too light .

also your using rather heavy line id say 8ld minium to 12lb max for spinning any heavier and theres no real sport in it .

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
most lure set ups are fixed spool with a 15-40lb braid but some use the baitcasting reels to good affect, personally i use a fixed for my lure fishing as ive tried the baitcasters and find they dont cast as far and are a nightmare to untangle if nested..

Ross

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you liked using multis for lure work before then get another one, but be warned that prices for good small multis, like the Abu Records, and Low Profile Baitcaster reels, like the Abu Revo STX and Inshore and Shimano Curados and Daiwa Zillion coastal, have gone up a lot in the past year. It seems that they,ve become fairly popular in the UK now and the shops know it.
I use 2010 Revo Premiers for most of my lure work from unweighted plastics to 28g tobies and Revo Inshores for heavier stuff, loaded with 15lb Berkley fireline Tracer braid. They all cast and lay line well, as long as you set the brakes up right.
Avoid the Abu Max family of multis unless you are only going for small stuff 2 or 3 times a year as the body is prone to flexing with 5lb+ fish on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me explain my experience. A lot of guys here are grinders sport fishing, more precisely, the Ultegra Shimano and Daiwa Saltiga Surf, full of braid. Last night some of my partners and I were caught in the crush Grey Shark, where they filled their mills, and I have my Tor30 Murderess and heavy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts