World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a disaster on the beach this weekend,besides blanking I wrote off my Daiwa 9000 which Ive been using for 20 years,gutted.Im thinking about going back to multipliers but dont particularly want to buy new rods as well tho both my rods have seen a fair bit of action(Century Slammer and a Zippy 2500)they are still perfectly fine but they are ringed for fixed spool - my question is,will I get away with using these rods with multipliers and which are the most user friendly babys out there ,I dont pendulem but favour off the ground,from what I have read the Slosh20 takes a bit of beating but I would welcome any input from your good selves

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
penn 525 mag. easy to use and adjust and as tough as the slosh. it will also cast as far as an abu 6500 and handle the rough when needed.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
slosh everytime snoopy you may lose a few yards in casting over the 525 but the slosh wont bite you back if you fluff something the 525s are expensive and to tempremental in my humble opinion you can get a brand new slosh 30 for 60 notes bargain:):) unless you get one of the supermag xtras or whatever penn are calling them this month i think you will be disappointed penn said there was nothing wrong with the original 525mag:g:so why spend a fortune developing extra magnets and new models TO FIX SOMETHING THAT WASNT BROKE:uhuh::uhuh: let me know how you get on with whatever you buy and yes they will work with your fixed spool rods

·
Registered
424 Posts
If your rods are rung specifically for fixed spool rods, i.e., with fewer than six or seven rings, then they aren't suitable for use with multipliers as the line will rub against the blank when retrieving with the reel on top, especially when under pressure.

The Mag Elite is probably the most docile of all casting multipliers but it's for clean ground only. The 525 is a great all-rounder with the capacity to cope with heavier lines when required and the current models are fairly docile, though expensive. The Slosh20 is not an out-and-out casting machine, although it can be tamed to cast reasonably well. If you like Daiwas then the 7HT will be a better choice for clean ground. I've no experience of the Okuma Magnetix reels but they've been getting some good reports on this forum and they're reasonably inexpensive.

If you say exactly what type of fishing you do and what price ranges you're thinking of then someone will probably suggest a balanced outfit or two.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
588 Posts
slosh everytime snoopy you may lose a few yards in casting over the 525 but the slosh wont bite you back if you fluff something the 525s are expensive and to tempremental in my humble opinion you can get a brand new slosh 30 for 60 notes bargain:):) unless you get one of the supermag xtras or whatever penn are calling them this month i think you will be disappointed penn said there was nothing wrong with the original 525mag:g:so why spend a fortune developing extra magnets and new models TO FIX SOMETHING THAT WASNT BROKE:uhuh::uhuh: let me know how you get on with whatever you buy and yes they will work with your fixed spool rods
Thornback - check your facts - there has only EVER been 5 variations of 525 Mag, and no more than 3 at any one time.

525 Mag - Discontinued
525 Mag T - Discontinued
525 Supermag - Discontinued
525 Mag Xtra - Current
525 Supermag Xtra - Current

And this over 10 years! How many ABU's have there been in that time? I've run out of fingers and toes counting!

Yes, there was nothing wrong with the original 525 Mag. There was nothing wrong with the Ferrari Testarossa either, apart from the fact is was just a dirty big go kart! But Ferraris now have power steering, ABS, etc. It's called PROGRESS - we made a better product in terms of controllability, which amounts to everything in casting. We can't all be blessed with amazing casting skills, the new generation of mags helps people improve their abilities. You said it yourself - "can be a bit tempermental" - that's WHY WE IMPROVED IT!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had a disaster on the beach this weekend,besides blanking I wrote off my Daiwa 9000 which Ive been using for 20 years,gutted.Im thinking about going back to multipliers but dont particularly want to buy new rods as well tho both my rods have seen a fair bit of action(Century Slammer and a Zippy 2500)they are still perfectly fine but they are ringed for fixed spool - my question is,will I get away with using these rods with multipliers and which are the most user friendly babys out there ,I dont pendulem but favour off the ground,from what I have read the Slosh20 takes a bit of beating but I would welcome any input from your good selves
Penn 525 will cover just about everything you should need. I use these because being relatively new to multipliers, I find them easy to use, easy to take apart and get back together again (important!) and a quick retrieve.
Customer service is top quality aswell, unlike certain other manufacturers.

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
go for the 6500 mag elite mate you can pick up a new one for 70 notes.perfect for clean ground and can be used in roughish ground as well.
its very forgiving under cast and simple to use.
if you fish heavy rough ground get a 7000.
i dont like the 525s its that simple

i had one of the 1st 525 mags thought it was pants,not very user friendly and very tempremental. thats my opinion.

you never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression so ill never own one or any of its offspring again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all the input guys,a mate is lending me a Slosh20 to try out this weekend,said he would oil her up to make her a bit more friendly,had to give up doing that with the missus,twas getting to expensive.I will let you know how it goes,I dont do a lot of rough ground fishing

·
Registered
24,800 Posts
Being a former engineer and appreciating decently engineered things in life I chose Penn's reels against any other . I now own 525's and a 535 multi's

I was pleased to find that these ever so fast reels had been calmed down with magnetic braking to help reduce birds nests ... I didn't find any of the brake block reels anywhere near in comparison though I did cut my teeth on a Shakespeare Powerplay ....once I got the idea of using this Shakespeare multi it was not long before I migrated up to the top of the class.

What ever multi you do chose , may I be bold enough to suggest you do lots of reading about the model you eventually decide to get BEFORE you get it .. that way when you do birds nest in the first few sessions you can understand why it happened rather than blame the reel .

There have been some good threads on site about it giving good reasoned explanations of how to use and maintain all sorts of reels

The fact that Penn's guys come on site and advise (as well as giving outstanding service ) is also a very big plus for those reels, who else can you get that from ?

David

·
Registered
646 Posts
Get a recently discontinued 6500 if fishing the clean, 525 for the mixed bag. If you're torn go for the 6500, (probably the better option for someone getting back into multiplier casting)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanx for all the input guys,a mate is lending me a Slosh20 to try out this weekend,said he would oil her up to make her a bit more friendly
You should be okay with that. I've a Slosh30 and with EP90 oil in the bearings even it's manageable. Just watch the line level too - keep it about 3mm down from the lip of the spool for 18lb mono. If you can afford one, though, you'll be better off with a 525.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said Ive got the loan of a Slosh20 this weekend,if I get on with it I can buy a pair of them pretty much for the price of one 525,Ive got lazy over the years with the "mangles".Mostly because they are idiot proof when night fishing which is mostly what I do these days but carrying less weight on my back is becoming more paramount these days,not getting any younger and Chale doesnt get any easier to get down........or up and Blackgang isnt a lot better for those of you who know what Im talking about

G

·
Buy a 525 mag xtra mate it is indestructable,easy to use and won't let you down,follow the instructions to set it up then practice starting with full mags and reduce untill it sings.For all round fishing you want areel that will cast ,hold enough line ,have a fast retreive and be durable the 525 fits the bill!

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i use a pair of 6500 mag elites for the majority of my fishing, extremely rare that i have a birdie, even at night, you soon learn to recognise when the lead is about to hit the water, even if you miss-time it, it's only a little over-run,

downside ? not an amazing drag, though it does work, otherwise great !

when using big baits (like very big... 2 whole squid, whole macky etc) i use the slosh 20, this was my first non abu multi, and despite being a little concerned about it having no mags, i haven't birdied it once yet ! but.... you do need to use them with a decent thickness of line, i've heard from some users that it's no good sticking .25mm mono on there, birdie hell wil ensue, i think neil Mc... also says the same on his site, i use it with 40lb teklon gold, with a .40mm diam, great (if expensive) line for the slosh. i like it so much, that i will replace it with the updated SHV version soon.both variations have the best drag i've experienced on ANY reel, fs or multi !

only downside to slosh ? imho it slows 'too' suddenly, cast great, then seems to just slam the brakes on, i feel a brake block coming out soon ! but it will cast a good distance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yMRVJkOZ0
the other thing, don't use it with an abu griplock sliding seat (prob not an issue for you right now) as the foot on the reel has a steeper angle than the penn and abu, it jams the griploks !

as for the penn 525 s/mags, i don't own one, i have used one on occasion, perhaps 10-15 casts on a pals rod when casting for practice, i'd say i've birdied almost as many times as not, they're very fast, you WILL have to start with the mags on full, and slow it, gradually getting faster, thing is though, the reel is well built, but i think for user freindlyness, the slosh (equally well built) would win if i had to buy one or the other.

people will always have their favourites, and you'll never persuade most people otherwise, you just have to try em out if poss, and make an educated buy,

i'm not saying i wouldn't buy the penn, it's well built etc, just very very fast, even when slow !

·
Registered
424 Posts
i'm not saying i wouldn't buy the penn, it's well built etc, just very very fast, even when slow !
Hi crazyplums,

This was a common complaint with the earlier 525s, and it may have been one of these that you tried out. The new Supermag Xtra has extra magnets and a much wider braking range. With the mags wound fully on it is very slow and with them fully off it flies. In between these extremes there's enough scope to accommodate just about everyone.

Cheers,

John

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Hi crazyplums,

This was a common complaint with the earlier 525s, and it may have been one of these that you tried out. The new Supermag Xtra has extra magnets and a much wider braking range. With the mags wound fully on it is very slow and with them fully off it flies. In between these extremes there's enough scope to accommodate just about everyone.

Cheers,

John
it's a super mag i occasionally have a go with, but the guy runs it very fast, slightest bit of wind and even he has the mags wound right up ! fastest i've managed it is down on No5, the owner is usually around 3-4 from memory !

compare this with my modified mag elites, which run as fast as they can, i can cast on zero with extremely few problems (and one brake block) in the same conditions, down to 2 when upto about a force 4, rarely go above 4 unless trying to cast very short range in strong winds.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i use a pair of 6500 mag elites for the majority of my fishing, extremely rare that i have a birdie, even at night, you soon learn to recognise when the lead is about to hit the water, even if you miss-time it, it's only a little over-run
I once attached a glowtip light to my rig to see if it worked as an attractor and when I cast out I noticed I could still see it even as it hit the water!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts