World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before anyone says yes i have searched the site for the matter and no there isnt anything there.

anyway:rolleyes:

im going to start spinning in the summer so i need to get myself a set up. i use multi. already and i do prefere it but what is best for spinning. can i get more distance spinning with a multi.,??

cheers james

·
Banned
400 Posts
multi's are no use for spinning, get a medium sized FS and laod it with 12-15lb line.

distance has little to do with the reel, but for ease of use and versatility then the FS is the far superiour choice or spinning.

·
Registered
477 Posts
multi's are no use for spinning, get a medium sized FS and laod it with 12-15lb line.

distance has little to do with the reel, but for ease of use and versatility then the FS is the far superiour choice or spinning.
Tell that to the rest of the world! :D

Both reels have there place in the spinning armoury.

For my money I prefer FS for lighter weight lures, quite simply I find that I can cast further weight for weight with a FS than with a multi. As the weight increases then the distance cast levels out, and then I would think it comes down to your personal preference.

As far as multipliers are concerned I use small baitcaster type multipliers and try and ensure that I have them set just right for the weight of lure being used. If that is done correctly then they are very simple to use. Get it wrong and either the distance cast is far shorter than it should be or the danger of real good quality birdsnests increase.

In a nutshell - I cannot see many instances in which you will get longer casts using a multi for spinning than you would get using a FS, but if you enjoy using a multi then go for it and have fun.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Both certainly have their place in spinning but I prefer a f-spool (my brother is a big fan of baitcasting multis however) Multi's really shine when working big heavy lures, and the opposite for a f-spool, I find it much easier to cast very light lures with a f-spool :fish:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I use a fixed spool but Abu multipliers were originally designed for casting lures. In fact the instructions that still come with them relate to setting the reel up for casting lures.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I love using a multi for spinning they feel so much more solid and satisfying to use all the americans use them for casting plugs.But often the fixed spool is a much more practical option.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think Americans use them because they largely fish from a boat so casting isn't such an issue. Go fixed spool.
Yeah your right mate they do mainly fish from boats but they do do alot of casting with there multis using baitcasting rods and plugs and it works well for them and me.:)

·
Banned
820 Posts
:)
before anyone says yes i have searched the site for the matter and no there isnt anything there.

anyway:rolleyes:

im going to start spinning in the summer so i need to get myself a set up. i use multi. already and i do prefere it but what is best for spinning. can i get more distance spinning with a multi.,??

cheers james
There is no doubt you will get more distance if you are shore casting with a fixed spool reel. whether you use light or heavier lures.

The baitcasting multipliers. Sub 500 abu size. The little palm type with magnetic braking are great for flipping lures abave 3/8oz or so up to 30 yds further If you are good with it. Which may be far enough for you? And they are very satisfying to use.

They work even better with heavier lures. Lightweight lure casting is where they fall down in efficiency.
For ultimate distance though and paricularly into a wind. The fixed spool wins.:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ive got a top end Abu and Mitchell baitcaisting outfit and cannot use them for the life of me. Just end up with a birds nest and end up going back to my trusted fs Shimanos.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ms1000 - I do not wish to teach my granny to suck eggs, but do you know how to set them up so you won't get birdsnests?

Just shout if you need to know :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Fixed spool every time, preferably shimano, loaded with braid. Far more practical, less hastle and maintenance.
For the record, I use Multipliers for general shore fishing...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
fixed spool ,most of the time reliable
multies are a bit like computers ,fantastic when they work ,pain in the ass when they dont lol

Mark

·
Registered
633 Posts
I personally use both 'standard' fixed spool/10ft rods and short baitcasting rod/multiplier set ups. The baitcasting rod/reel wins hands down for 90% of my lure fishing. When adjusted and used correctly there is virtually no distance variation when casting general J11, Magnum type plugs. The fun factor is far greater when using the shorter outfit. Two of my mates have borrowed baitcasting outfits from me and have now purchased their own set ups. Casting is also far easier and quicker with a thumb bar multiplier. No faffing about with bail arms and less wind knots in braid, just flick the rod forward and press the button, accuracy is far greater also. Give em' a go before dismissing these outfits. As already has been stated, 75% of the worlds lure fishermen cant be wrong. By the way, the short baitcasters are fantastic on the boat for bream fishing :D .

·
Registered
213 Posts
I personally use both 'standard' fixed spool/10ft rods and short baitcasting rod/multiplier set ups. The baitcasting rod/reel wins hands down for 90% of my lure fishing. When adjusted and used correctly there is virtually no distance variation when casting general J11, Magnum type plugs. The fun factor is far greater when using the shorter outfit. Two of my mates have borrowed baitcasting outfits from me and have now purchased their own set ups. Casting is also far easier and quicker with a thumb bar multiplier. No faffing about with bail arms and less wind knots in braid, just flick the rod forward and press the button, accuary is far greater also. Give em' a go before dismissing these outfits. As already has been stated, 75% of the worlds lure fishermen cant be wrong. By the way, the short baitcasters are fantastic on the boat for bream fishing :D .
Thats exactly the same as me the short rods are alot less cumbersome.:clap2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got a baitcast multi for christmas and wouldn't dream of going back to using fs on my spinning rod - no more line twist hassle, mag casting control, smoother retrieve and it casts FURTHER with heavier lures.
180yds of 10lb or 150yds of 12lb

£0.99 + £10.80 postage off fleabay!

just got to persuade the wife I need another one! lol

Tght lines,

Geoff

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Geoff, did you buy one of those reels from china?? i looked at them, but i can see them breaking after 2 trips or being [email protected] to use! lol

Jamie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Geoff, did you buy one of those reels from china?? i looked at them, but i can see them breaking after 2 trips or being [email protected] to use! lol

Jamie
Yes, it's from China, but the build quality is really good - I was surprised just how good it was when it arrived. I've used it several times without any problems so far (hope I haven't jinxed it, lol).
It has a graphite body but the working parts are all either stainless steel or brass.
The spool is well balanced and almost silent during casting, it's a real pleasure to use.

Tight lines,

Geoff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts