World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen a few "my reel nests " posts any tips and after trying out my own after an outing found it to be nesting every other cast ,not big line wreckers but enough to cause concern anyway after checking everything was ok with settings etc i got it home and found it full of water from its rinse off
and decided to dry it out setc it now casts normal again
i can only guess that water was upsetting the lubrication and action of the reel so worth checking

might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to this subject as im sure apart from the main reasons theres a few more obscure ones out there

·
Registered
280 Posts
the levelwind on my multi caused most of the nests I've had. It tracked too quickly from side to side, putting too much line on the reel at each turn. When casting this excess exploded out, creating nests. I cured it by removing the levelwind.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to this subject as im sure apart from the main reasons theres a few more obscure ones out there
Well let's make this a dedicated thread then! :)

Post your ideas below please, causes and remedies. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i have found that when level winding by hand make sure you go to one side to the other without overlapping in middle as you go, if you know what i mean

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
basically most nests are caused by a combination or one of the following 4 main causes - these are ranked in typical liklihood from my perspective - but not for everyone

also because it may be a combination - fixing one problem that does not give a direct imrovment - doesn't mean it was a waste of time.

1. bad casting technique - typically - trying too hard (uncontrolled power) - a snatched or thrashed cast with too much right arm (e.g. all sudden acceleration with no follow thru) - not visualising an aiming point - wrong/inconsistent drop length - a slackening of the drop just before the cast - poor thumbing of spool during cast - solution to all = proper tuition from an approved coach) - there are others!!!
also psychological - one fluke nest causing you to doubt your technique/skill - makes you tentative/overanalytical and destroys confidence -go to a plain sinker only set up and start to build from a flick - until normal service resumes

2. badly set up gear - incorrect end float on spool spindle, insufficient braking of spool, over full spool, over-empty spool, rod handle length/reel position wrong, slidy mag slip - (solution = adjust reel. tape slidy, check handle length = tuck butt cap under armpit and stretch along rod with thumb to find reel position)

3. poor equipment - rod rating-weight mismatch - bulky leader knot - old kinked line - too much flapping bait causing drag especially on headwind - dirty/wet real innards including caked old oil - over-thin oil - using thin braid.

4. odds and sods - obstructions/footing causing unnatural technique (especially at new venues) - strong headwind - lack of concentration - thumb slip (use finger/strip grip). - oh yes - dry line - i always have a sinker only flick to get the line wet at the start of a session

solutions - ask advice if unsure - be aware of these causes and elliminate the most likely work methodically through - don't expect an immediate solution - check equipment before you go and check set-up before each cast.

I am sure these are not comprehensive - but they seem to be the main ones from my perspective :g:

also pratice practice practice

Al

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I find that often it seems that at the crucial point of the cast the waves take the sand from in front of your foot, not only do you end up with a king sized birdsnest but you also send the lead sideways and invariably end up face first in the surf with your mates peeing themselves laughing:uhuh: :unsure: :yeah::fishing: OOOOpps never happened to me ------ honest:unsure: :hypocrite :whistling :whistling

·
Registered
280 Posts
basically most nests are caused by a combination or one of the following 4 main causes - these are ranked in typical liklihood from my perspective - but not for everyone

also because it may be a combination - fixing one problem that does not give a direct imrovment - doesn't mean it was a waste of time.

1. bad casting technique - typically - trying too hard (uncontrolled power) - a snatched or thrashed cast with too much right arm (e.g. all sudden acceleration with no follow thru) - not visualising an aiming point - wrong/inconsistent drop length - a slackening of the drop just before the cast - poor thumbing of spool during cast - solution to all = proper tuition from an approved coach) - there are others!!!
also psychological - one fluke nest causing you to doubt your technique/skill - makes you tentative/overanalytical and destroys confidence -go to a plain sinker only set up and start to build from a flick - until normal service resumes

2. badly set up gear - incorrect end float on spool spindle, insufficient braking of spool, over full spool, over-empty spool, rod handle length/reel position wrong, slidy mag slip - (solution = adjust reel. tape slidy, check handle length = tuck butt cap under armpit and stretch along rod with thumb to find reel position)

3. poor equipment - rod rating-weight mismatch - bulky leader knot - old kinked line - too much flapping bait causing drag especially on headwind - dirty/wet real innards including caked old oil - over-thin oil - using thin braid.

4. odds and sods - obstructions/footing causing unnatural technique (especially at new venues) - strong headwind - lack of concentration - thumb slip (use finger/strip grip). - oh yes - dry line - i always have a sinker only flick to get the line wet at the start of a session

solutions - ask advice if unsure - be aware of these causes and elliminate the most likely work methodically through - don't expect an immediate solution - check equipment before you go and check set-up before each cast.

I am sure these are not comprehensive - but they seem to be the main ones from my perspective :g:

also practice practice practice

Al
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

In my case it was no.3, poor equipment, a cheap Fladen multiplier. As I said, the level wind tracked too quickly from side to side, putting too much line on to the spool. If I could have slowed it down by 50% it might have been ok, but I don't have the right equipment.
My casting style isn't great but it is consistent - once I removed the level wind the nests went away.

When I can afford one I'll get a decent reel, like a Penn, slosh or an Abu. Until then I'll have to make do with my Fladen.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The principal cause of the crackoff(s) that occur for no apparent reason after the lead has travelled perhaps 15 to 40 yards is rod tip overshoot. Todays top blanks are technological marvels, and are considerably lighter than the glass blanks with dural butts of the 1970's. Todays rods are fishings equivalent of top sports cars, even at the very top, the formula racers. If you weigh a set of rings from the 1970s, the early fujis and a diamite tip ring, and then weigh a set of SiC or ZrC you will see a weight saving of 30-45 grams. The use of overweight rings can cause this overshoot at the end of the cast, as the lead goes past the rod tip, the overshoot takes a couple of feet of extra line from a multiplier, and the extra line has no-where to go. Result, the unexplained crack-off. Hope this helps some of you. Users of fixed-spool reels are immune from this problem.

philtherod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Sounds like you need 30 mins with an instructor.............they will show you how to set up your reel for optimum fishing and smooth out your casting technique..........get rid of the level wind....leader knot will always hit it and cause an over-run

1 - 13 of 13 Posts