World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was 60 year on to the day that mumbles lifeboat edward prince of wales was launched in gale force wind to help the stricken vessel s s samtanna at sker point porthcawl.coxion william gammon and his crew battled agianst very ruff sea to reach the stricken vessel with 8 lifeboat men and 39 crew on the ss samtanna.the edward prince of wales lifeboat capsized all crew of both vessels perished in the very ruff sea.mumbles worst ever lifeboat disaster.very brave men going to help other sea farers risking there there lives as todays lifeboat men/ladies R I P

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice post Steve. It's good that people remember,and to remind others about what "life" is really about.
RIP all those brave men/women.

BTW it is St Georges day too. Happy St Georges to all our English cousins.:)
william gammon was my great grand father on the gammon side of the family.crazy but true 23rd of april 1947 the lifeboat capsized 25th april 2004 we capsize and i loss my son.god rest there souls

·
Registered
594 Posts
i've always wanted to be a life boat man, how do you go about beeing one?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Mainly In Families I Think!!! Not Sure Tho....

·
Registered
150 Posts
i've always wanted to be a life boat man, how do you go about beeing one?
Visit your local station, show an interest such as going along on training nights, to learn little bits. Then you would have a general fitness medical (colour blindness is a no no). If you pass your medical, you then keep going on training nights, out on excerses etc then the Coswain will decide when you are showing enough committment to begin training courses with the first usually being sea survival and fire fighting etc.
You don't have to have nautical experience (i didn't) but you learn fast. After so many months of training and showing promise you will get a pager and be on probation for 12 months. During this time going on more training and gaining proficiency in stuff like seamanship, boat handling and first aid etc etc. Its worth a try, the team spirit and training is something to be proud of and you become part of a new family.
I'll have to mention as well that we recently had the 120th year memorial service for the mexico disaster which happened in the ribble estaury where two crews lost their lives including a couple of past relatives of current crew members. The crew of twelve from the Mexico were saved.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Nice post steve, was there a documentery about that........sounds very familiar!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts