World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to mumbles on Bike tues armed with a small spinning rod a few lures was perfect conditions no wind water clarity crystal clear locked bike near pier entrance and walked down the steps to the beach walking along waters edge around 11:30am just as I got to first island East side facing the bay saw alot of surface activity sprats jumping for the whitebait but it was very shallow and rocky continued along till I got the the lighthouse walked up towards the cherry stones but as tide was small decide to off the ledge before casting towards the tower (grape and olive) a bit of surface activity as when the hook the lure got wrapped around the mainline causing the lure to spin across the surface. Then an amazing sight a small Garfish around 14 inches long jumped totaly out of the water not once but three times was like watching marlin in miniature a few more casts and a hit but it didn't hook I was positive there were bass here continuing in the same spot about 5 more casts and bang a lively schoolie great sport on light tackle my drag was on min so he took line run left the right I kept rod high keeping the line tight at all times and took full advantage of the fish taking 5 mins to land a silver schoolie about 16 inches estate 1lb armed with towel I landed him unhooking him and a quick photo my first bass of the year and on light tackle.
I did continue for another hour but tide started to flood causing the clear water to murk so I called it a day and what a great day it was. View attachment 1092877

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Nice one :thumbsup:

Reactions: thee-edd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your welcome thankyou to all for taking the time to read my report and the positive feedback.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Lovely report, and well done on the first bass of the year. Tight lines and wish you many more bars of silver to come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Handy report, looking to travel from Gloucester for some rocky ground with clear water.

Why the towel? Spiky fish? You wet the towel I assume.

Is it difficult ground to walk over?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your welcome thankyou for taking the time to read my report and the positive feedback.
Handy report, looking to travel from Gloucester for some rocky ground with clear water.

Why the towel? Spiky fish? You wet the towel I assume.

Is it difficult ground to walk over?
Yes Martin I recommend staying clear of the sea weed as u will know how slippery it is also check the tides as you can only fish over low tides for upto 2 hours at low water and less on large tides I recommend a good strong pair of boots to get there and yes i did wet the towel to protect the fish losing mucus aswell as protect my hands from the sharp spines around the Gill plates and dorsal fins every fin has a spine so the smaller schoolies are very lively and fight very hard making them amazing sport on light tackle I returned the fish to a shallow weeded pool where the tide had just flooded into the fish stayed in the weed for 2 mins before making its way back to the open sea there is a ban on landing bass this year to protect fish stocks and there are environmental officers occasionally patrolling if you are caught taking a bass you will have your tackle confiscated and could also be given a large fine I feel more should be done towards the commercial licenced netting boats and there is much debait for law changes but we will have to see what happens unfortunately with government policies I just hope we can protect what little stocks we have left so everyone can enjoy the sport of bass fishing in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worms head is prob the best place to fish on the Gower for bass but it's quite a walk and make sure you check tides and weather first as the causeway is only accessible for 2 hours each side of low water there are alot of deep ledges on the right hand side facing the beach Llangennith and the opposite side has rocky reefs and some deeper legs further around I don't advise going on your own if you havnt fished there before.
Please research the area and ask locals for advise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. Perch are spiky. Pike are just toothy. I did get spiked by a scorpion fish on Lanzarote, much the same as a wasp sting really.

I reckon a trip to Mumbles is on the cards at least we will be close to fish and chips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts