World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished on the boat today,launched at knab rock, first stop was langland,we caught 1 bream and 1 doggie,from there we went to tor/three cliffs, plenty of mackerel,then to the banks and nothing at all, the wind was easterly and quite lumpy out there, i got soaked coming back in due to the spray coming over the side, assisted by the wind. we were going to stop back at langland but there were white horses everywhere, so we made the right choice to come back in early,when i got home,looking back down 3 cliffs, oxwich, its dead calm,you win some you lose some!.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi Dog
It flattened off when the tide turned m8 you win some you loose some.
Always next time m8

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Dog Hop,
I also went out yesterday, as you say a very:eek: changable day. Went first to W/Oyster ledges, 2 bass, [email protected] 1/2lb and 1 tiddler, small pollack all on live sandeel. Then on the way up to the 3 mile bank the wind turned the sea to right old nasty state as you know. Sheltered in Oxwich on St Chris noll, 1 Doggy, but as soon as the tide turned, the Sea flattened. went back out to the W'Oyster, perfect conditions in the evening, but not a touch on Live Sandeel, Live Mackerel,
Prawns and Shad. Funny old game This Fishing.
I'm not sure if you came across any? but I picked up a couple of fresh very large Cuttle fish, They have gone in the freezer, ready for the winter.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
That easterly wind can do that to you, I have had to shelter well inshore in Caswell to hide from it wondering what to do for the best, then suddenly it drops right away & its as flat as a witches. I have said, that in future if its easterly I wont go! then I curse when it drops away at High Water, but the thought of taking on the Cherry Stones or the Mixon, with an easterly blowing over a fast flooding spring tide, puts the fear of god into me.
blueskip

·
Registered
208 Posts
Went out on sat 25, had 2 nice bream about 2lb, 1 7lb spur, loads of doggys and a few mackys all in all was a good day out hopefully the first of many this year. As you all say the sea came up a bit as the tide floods over the cherry stones etc (wind over tide), if it gets too bad i normaly go out and around the mixon where the water is a bit deeper with less breakers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fishy Finger said:
Hi Dog Hop,
I also went out yesterday, as you say a very:eek: changable day. Went first to W/Oyster ledges, 2 bass, [email protected] 1/2lb and 1 tiddler, small pollack all on live sandeel. Then on the way up to the 3 mile bank the wind turned the sea to right old nasty state as you know. Sheltered in Oxwich on St Chris noll, 1 Doggy, but as soon as the tide turned, the Sea flattened. went back out to the W'Oyster, perfect conditions in the evening, but not a touch on Live Sandeel, Live Mackerel,
Prawns and Shad. Funny old game This Fishing.
I'm not sure if you came across any? but I picked up a couple of fresh very large Cuttle fish, They have gone in the freezer, ready for the winter.
Cheers Steve
fishy,where did you catch the cuttlefish i've been trying for a long time but with no luck, i presume you had them drifting with eel as you would with squid?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blueskip said:
That easterly wind can do that to you, I have had to shelter well inshore in Caswell to hide from it wondering what to do for the best, then suddenly it drops right away & its as flat as a witches. I have said, that in future if its easterly I wont go! then I curse when it drops away at High Water, but the thought of taking on the Cherry Stones or the Mixon, with an easterly blowing over a fast flooding spring tide, puts the fear of god into me.
blueskip
skip, you are right about the cherry stones/mixon shoal its the worst i've experienced there on a relatively calm day, with an easterly blowing and fighting the tide, apart from the added petrol costs, you really have to have your wits about you,only the once did the boat go from under me, but i wouldn't like to traverse that passage on a 4 or 5 with an easterly on a 12 metre tide its enough to give you sleepless nights!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Dog Hop, Woe, Woe & thrice Woe, as Henna the soothsayer says! I have had "that little round object" in my mouth several times, coming through that, only to find that when I get on shore, my a******e is missing! When will we ever learn? & we put most of what we catch back anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dog hop, Sorry about the late reply, been a bit busy in work,Dam Lightning. :eek: On standby this week.
Anyway,the Cuttle Fish came from the tide line, just as you start to get onto the W/Oyster ledges, there seems to be a back eddy and allways a load of flotsam in a line. They were dead on the surface, but realy fresh, I guess they had their wicked way a popped it.
I have caught Squid on Hockeyes off Oxwich point and last year caught a octopus off langland.
Cheers Steve

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts