World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can buy these online. The smallest I have seen is 3.6kg which would be ideal.
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Do you have a picture of one or can you describe it. The only Mushroom anchor I know of is used for a mooring on silt and mud. Didn't know there was one for everyday anchoring hence my confusion.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy these online. The smallest I have seen is 3.6kg which would be ideal.
Regards
Mike
What are you planning to use it for? I'm not sure I have ever seen one for small boats.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah most of them seem quite large but American sites list these neat ones - the link shows a 15lb one but they go as small as 8lb.http://www.boatersworld.com/product/156790107msk.htm
I have a particular spot where I want to use one of these for bass. I think it would work and it would take up hardly any space in the front anchor well alongside the bruce. But if I get the rocker stoppers they recommend using them with mushroom anchors on the end of the lines

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought you might be amused at this offering from Sea and Shore in bonny Scotland:
Inflatable Boat Anchor
OK ... it does begin to make sense when they go on to say ....
Designed specifically for safe and easy use with infltable boats. A mushroom anchor in a choice of three weights, coated in black plastisol.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Interesting, they give a holding power up to 10 times the weight of the anchor. That is very poor compared to "normal" anchors. A 10lb mushroom would give a 100lb hold. A fortress FX7 weighing in at just 4lb on an ideal scope set in hard sand would give over 2500lb hold.

An average 20 foot boat in a 30 knot wind has about 350lb wind loading on it so the anchor needs to hold more for it not to drag, this would need a 36lb mushroom anchor and it would be on it's limit of holding, whereas a Fortress of 4 lb wouldn't even be breaking sweat.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Thought you might be amused at this offering from Sea and Shore in bonny Scotland:
Inflatable Boat Anchor
OK ... it does begin to make sense when they go on to say ....
Designed specifically for safe and easy use with infltable boats. A mushroom anchor in a choice of three weights, coated in black plastisol.
Got a link for that? Sounds eeeeeeh..........Dumb?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Interesting, they give a holding power up to 10 times the weight of the anchor. That is very poor compared to "normal" anchors. A 10lb mushroom would give a 100lb hold. A fortress FX7 weighing in at just 4lb on an ideal scope set in hard sand would give over 2500lb hold.

An average 20 foot boat in a 30 knot wind has about 350lb wind loading on it so the anchor needs to hold more for it not to drag, this would need a 36lb mushroom anchor and it would be on it's limit of holding, whereas a Fortress of 4 lb wouldn't even be breaking sweat.
Yes I thought it was odd the reference to "normal" anchors withat saying what normal meant.:g:

Chris did you miss my last question on my EV50 RNLI motor in Norries engine dates thread?
Dave.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a link for that? Sounds eeeeeeh..........Dumb?
http://www.seaandshore.co.uk/index/quicksilver-accessories about half way down the page. I've sent it in to New Scientist under the innovations section. It probably comes with a very long boat-hook to force it down to the sea bed.
Could be really useful though - think of the space saved when it's not being used, and you don't have to carry all that extra weight out to sea .... and it would double as a flotation aid if anyone goes overboard ... and it would never get snagged on rough ground ........ hey this product is growing on me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts