World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Mussels in Loch Etive are fit to eat. They are farmed there and the wild ones are good. Try to pick the ones at the higher levels of the tideline off the rocks.
Those lower down close to sand can be very gritty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
does anyone no any good mussels beaches for the pot THNX Andy:g:
good question,:clap3: i fish catch and release as i dont like the taste of most fish so a bag of edible shellfish would be welcome for the pot,like andrewbrogar i would welcome any info on places around scotland where you could collect shell fish for human(my) consumption,i collect a lot from pease bay in the summer and im still here to talk about it so it must be ok.........tight lines.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Mussels in Loch Etive are fit to eat. They are farmed there and the wild ones are good. Try to pick the ones at the higher levels of the tideline off the rocks.
Those lower down close to sand can be very gritty.
i have eaten the ones out of loch leven for years and i am still around so they cant be bad also etive is very good as pelamid says they are very gritty if you get them by sand but the ones higher up the tideline are ok

·
Registered
66 Posts
Westcliff on Sea, Essex.
At low tide, good mussel beds (good for peelers and softbacks crabs too)
but also oysters, clams and cockles, all there just waiting to be picked up. (just look for the gaggle of Chinese gatherers)
Moreover, the Thames estuary is now the cleanest water in Europe.

·
Registered
436 Posts
4540 g mussels, cleaned and debearded
110 g onion, chopped
3 g garlic, minced
DIRECTIONS
Fill a large pot with mussels. Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over the shellfish. Do not add water, as mussels produce all the water needed for steaming! Cook over high heat until most or all of the mussels open. Discard any that do not open.

great recipe seves 5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts