1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
ho there . i had a good look at them and in the end i got a leatherman tool . so much better full stainless steel

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will the leathermans stand up to saltwater?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
will the leathermans stand up to saltwater?
Can I ask what exactly your going to use them for?

I ask as a novice who's putting together their own kit...

I've had a Leatherman Wave for about 15 years and used to carry it a lot while out shooting in all weathers, and never had any problem with it, apart from the leather sheath..They are a quality bit of kit, but being stainless steel are quite a hefty chunk to have on your belt.

From a fishing perspective, I think they would be a handy bit of kit for rig repairs or as a mini took kit, but less than ideal for unhooking fish...

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
I have been using a Leatherman Wave for around 14 years for fishing . After about 3 years the scissors snapped, but Leatherman sent me a new "Wave" under warranty, apart from that it has been very good,it does suffer slightly from the occasional "rust" spot, but as I look after it and quickly remove offending rust and generously oil , there are no detrimental effects.
I especially like the sharpening blade.. it is just brilliant for honing hooks to a needle sharp point.
The different screwdriver parts have saved the day several times, for everything from fixing the hinges on glasses, to rebuilding a Reel that a diy expert had put together wrongly, that was out at sea on a charter as well.
The sharp blades have been used for multiple tasks, from cutting mono/ braid / rope, to cutting back a tree branch that was in a bad place over a river swim.
As already said, they arent much good for unhooking fish,but on one occasion it was used to push a hook fully through somebodies finger, snip the eye off, and pull it through,so it doubles up as a surgical instrument as well.
Once used it to repair the door on a freezer in a self catering place we stayed at , been back twice since, the repair has held, so the Leatherman has paid for itself time over time.

Best thing since sliced bread...... it can do that too !

Dave

PS.. I have never had to remove a boy scout from a horses hoof yet,but I am sure it would do it if pushed come to shove !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.