World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to use these hooks years ago for fishing rough ground as I found them a good blend between stength but still being able to bend out of a snag using heavy gear.

After many years fishing the south coast shingle I'm back home and starting to fish rough ground marks again. Are the Viking hooks still the same - will they bend out of a snag using 35lb line? Or can anyone recommend a modern hook that has the same properties?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I think that they are the same as they have always been. I prefer them over rough ground because you can sharpen them up again if they blunt on the rocks and boulders. My own preference is the pennel with the turned eye, super hooks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The two types I tend to rely on these days are the Mustad Power Worm - very similar to Vikings but a bit sharper and they have a wide gape good for big balls of crab and the like. The other is the Kamasan B950u Uptiders which don't have such a big gape and I tend to use them with worm baits or when having to scale down baits to catch smaller fish.:thumbs: You'll easily bend either out with 35lb or so line and both can easily be put back into shape.

·
Registered
86 Posts
still the same mate. always been the best hook for reef fishing.i use 4o on 15lb big game (breaks at 21lb) and they just about bend out so no doubt they will bend out with your 35lb line.they do still sell them and i would not use any other hook on a reef

1 - 5 of 5 Posts