World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Fished over HW and down the ebb. Cardigan Island side of the mark as there were a bunch of folk losing leads to the rough ground on the other side. Big prob being pot-fleets set right across it at present so long casting is guaranteed lost end-gear.

The place is crawling with 1-2lb dogfish and 1/4lb whiting, inside of the pot-ropes. Lost count. Nothing else gets a shot at the bait. Missed a few sharp bites from wrasse close-in so figured they were small. All baits produced bites - anything you can imagine! I had doggers on mackerel flapper baits & whole dead whiting!

If anyone knows this mark better, cos I don't, are flatties ever caught from there over the sand?? Tried & tried but whiting/dog/whiting/dog etc etc etc.....was thinking it cannot be too unlike Aberporth and that produces a few plaice this time of year.....

Nice day out in the sunshine tho'.....

Cheers - John

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi john,
before i tell you more john. please be aware of its dangers if you are going there, first check the weather forcast for rain or fog those rocks are covered in lychen (moss) and when wet or even damp make it impossable to walk on not even in stocking feet and if you do slip you will travel down the rocks like a bob sled
worse with wet gear on. trust me it caught me out about 15 years ago.

Dont fish alone use stout boots take a (rope) if you look as you are walking to the spots you will see spikes driven into the rockface where you can tie on. take a mobile.
if rain imenent get off there.

Ok so u arive in the car park church facing you, walk to the right of the church follow on down to the stream go over the stream and go up the rise go over or through fence (usualy trampled down) follow sheep tracks if you walk on for about a 1/4 of a mile you will see a a spot that with care will take you to the waters edge with 80 to 100 yd cast's you can take pollock closer in spin or feather for mackey in season also place ray tope spurdog and huss if you are lucky. balan wrass close in. if you walk back you will see other spots that will take your fancy with care and look for the rope tie off's. worm baits fresh mackey spinners and plugs or a grenade.

sorry to babble on but this place is not to be taken lightly.......clive.:)

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Clive!

I'll have a recce sometime over the Summer. I've fished the main Mwnt mark many times, but have never explored further up towards Aberporth. Do you need the rope more as a handrail or is it a full-on abseil job? I've done quite a bit of rope-access work over the years so have the kit!

I can well believe your comment about slimey rock - it's the case all along the Cardiganshire coast, even on shallow reefs, unless it's low tide and you can walk on barnacle encrusted rock. Wellies are a total no-no - para-boots are ideal. I'd add too for the benefit of other anglers that big swells or a strong N/NW chop make these marks hazardous as they face north. Definately fair-weather marks only, though this is interesting ground with a lot of potential, as a cast can drop you into 13m+ water depth and some strong tide races. The rule of thumb for Mwnt always used to be fish it on the ebb only if bottom-fishing. I tried a Spring flood once out of curiosity and it rips past, picking up your gear and dumping it into the nearest available snag!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi john,
reply to your rope question just used as extra help to get up and down m8 incase of a slip. yes we normaly fish it after a north westerly blow but the mark i told you about you can fish it at all states of tide and you can get out of the wind and away from the swell, and there is not a lot of rip in the tide as the rock face pushes it away to the cardican side 3oz-5oz flat weights hold the sand bed here nicley.
clive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ha yes fish this mark every summer.camp at the campsite on top o the cliffs.cheap and cheerfull.but yes be very carefull.i sliped there a couple of yrs ago.yes did go like a rocket straight into the sea.could not get back out.had to swim for it,took the skin off my arms and back,got the p*ss took out of me all weekend.but it was calm that day.was reading a news report about 2 brothers who died there the other week.got washed in and drowned.great spot but be carefull.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its a good mark for big whitting and pouting during the winter, during the summer theres a big choice of fish to catch theres plenty of mackeral,wrasse, pollack. Theres a couple of spots there that hold bass its just finding them there a bit hit and miss, if you ground bait you will get the gars there. After dark use a small pout or whitting for conger ive found if you use mackeral the dogs will find it first. Theres alot of miny species down there to its the only place ive regularly seen tadpole fish caught. Never caught any flatties off mwnt, If your after plaice id try penbryn it normally shows a few plus small turbot. The cliffs at aberporth towards tresaith produces plenty of dabs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts