World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished down mwnt this evening with the rag left over from ydays boat trip.

Got there about 5 and bites were none stop had a fish nearly every cast. kept the rigs simple just a 3way swivel with a weak link and on the other my hook, fished just under my feet in amongst the rocks first cast i had a small pollack

then second cast

then the dolphins came in tried to get some pics of them but didnt do very well and killed the batteries on my camera.

In all i had about 15 ballans up to about 3half pound 3 pollack biggest about 2 pound a few pout and poorcod and a corkwing wrasse which ive after for ages for my species list, ive got pics of this on my phone just got to find the lead to put it on the computer. Going back down 2mz with the worm thats left

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good stuff !
Just hoping for the weather holds for my trip down in a few weeks deffo want to try Mwnt along with the "Cliff" if the weather is good like it looks in your pics is it safe enough for a sensibe 10 year old ? I should I dump him on the beach ?

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
hi mate ,well done on ya fishing ,have you got any details on mwnt,parking,distance from car ,where abouts? why i ask ,im on hols in fishgaurd in august and normally fish strumble,st davids,marloes,porth gain,sometimes the breakwater at goodwick,but looking for some new places or ideas for this year,mwnt sounds good and perfect for float fishing and wrasse bashing ,thanks in advance for any ideas :fishing::clap:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went back down mwnt again 2nite went to my little ledge away from all the mackeral bashers, i just planned to fish for the small stuff so set up with 12lb flurocarbon and size 6 hooks and straight and straight away hooked into this

3lb 10oz
Then had a couple of smaller ballans then a few tompot blennies

Also had a few of these pretty sure there rock cooks going by my book

Also had a couple of small pollack and pout.

I wouldnt recomend you take your ten year old down there the rocks are fairly steep this is the climb down to where i fish for the wrasse.
For the wrasse you need to search around for gullies and holes until you find the fish, i find 2 hours hours either side of low water are best. Any info you want just ask

·
Registered
594 Posts
well done mate another new species to you mate and a new set of batteries.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Went back down mwnt again 2nite went to my little ledge away from all the mackeral bashers, i just planned to fish for the small stuff so set up with 12lb flurocarbon and size 6 hooks and straight and straight away hooked into this

3lb 10oz
Then had a couple of smaller ballans then a few tompot blennies

Also had a few of these pretty sure there rock cooks going by my book

Also had a couple of small pollack and pout.

I wouldnt recomend you take your ten year old down there the rocks are fairly steep this is the climb down to where i fish for the wrasse.
For the wrasse you need to search around for gullies and holes until you find the fish, i find 2 hours hours either side of low water are best. Any info you want just ask
think thats a female corkwing mate,im up for any info you got about mwnt fella.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My book says all corkwings have a black spot on the tail its defo different to the corkwing i had yesterday that was brown and the spot was unmissable. Im confused, No the you dont need ropes just a bit of care, there are esier places to get to but there not as good for wrasse and are usually full of mackeral bashers. What you going to fish for?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
speices hunter me,likes a try for anything different or bigger ,like s a try on bottom for dogs,gurnards,or anything really dont fish for mackeral unless i want one for bait or diff speices in comp,but honestly mate its deff a female corky,they dont show spot,rock cook got a dark band at base of tail,can tell by shape near rectum(usually blue) on corkies,rock cook are quite straight under neath,try googling cork wing wrasse on images ,should be there or on fishbase site. ive done a lot of looking when i caught one like you had lol.
is it easy to walk to from car to get to mwnt?? would love a crack at it looks brill

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeh its only about a 10min walk just steep down to the marks off the path. Im into the species aswell mwnt has a good mix. Theres a chance of huss and conger after dark dogs, wrasse, pollack, bass, gurnards, mackeral, gars, pout, poorcod, whitting, (codling later in the year)and all the mini species. Pretty much anything might turn up. Ive been after a tadpole fish lately ive had a couple of them down there but not this year and want one for this years list. Let me know when your down and ill see if i can come down

·
Registered
594 Posts
ye lads if you do go down to mwnt give me a shout if i cant get out on the boat i'll do this weekend

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeh its only about a 10min walk just steep down to the marks off the path. Im into the species aswell mwnt has a good mix. Theres a chance of huss and conger after dark dogs, wrasse, pollack, bass, gurnards, mackeral, gars, pout, poorcod, whitting, (codling later in the year)and all the mini species. Pretty much anything might turn up. Ive been after a tadpole fish lately ive had a couple of them down there but not this year and want one for this years list. Let me know when your down and ill see if i can come down
that would be brill mate,im in fishgaurd from the 23rd august till the 29th,so somewhere in that week mate ,we could try and meet up:clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts