World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly i'd like to say sorry for a late catcth report but due to being dunce when it comes to computers, I just lost the last loooooong report that I wrote yesterday.

Anyway, myself and the 3 stooges (Just Jay, Denmark and Abupro) decided to try a west sussex beach on Friday night for cod, sole, anything really. And after a short stomp, the shelters were rapidly put up due to the wind that was a tad on the nippy side.
I had my 1st rod in the water at around 6pm and before I'd even baited up my 2nd rod, it was tapping away nicely as something took a liking to the rag worm. Expecting a pout or whiting, I was over the moon when my 1st ever ray came skimming over the water. Even though it was palm sized, if i'd had caught nothing else that night I still would have gone home chuffed to bits.
All of us then proceded to to catch plenty of whiting and pout and Mark showed his usual skill at tempting the dogfish to come out and play. Luke set out to catch a sole and was rewarded with a lovely little specimen.

About an hour or so before high, weed started to be a bit of a pain though it was still fishable. Despite it twice dragging my lines across Jay's (sorry mate).
Then whilst dealing with a double hook up of whiting, I noticed my other rod bending steadily and alarmingly in Jay's direction yet again! Cursing, I wound down to feel a solid dead weight but the clump of weed started swimming parallel to the beach and against the tide!
After a brief tussle and lots of heaving, I saw the fish for the 1st time in the beam of my head torch and realised i'd need a bit of help landing it. So I shouted over to Jay, who promptly looked over and then proceded to keep his arse firmly planted to his seat box! He claims he thought I was shouting over to let him know that i'd wiped out his lines......Again!
So I had to jump in the brine and managed to chin out my 1st ever cod, which took the scales around to 14lb exactly!! To say I was happy is an understatement, and I never imagined i'd ever get a cod that size for years to come, if ever.
I'd actualy swapped rigs and dropped the big hooks & bait combo for a 3 hook (2/0's) clipped down loop rig with lug on the bottom hook, rag on the top, and a raw peeled tiger prawn on the middle hook. out of all 3, the cod took a liking for the prawn (it was from the Tescos finest range). And rather than blasting my baits as far as possible, I dropped that one much closer in. I'm not a great judge of distance at night but it was only a steady over head thump that at best was 55-60 yards out.
Jay's going to post some pics on here later... Hopefully :thumbs:

I finished the night with 11 fish made up of 5 species, 2 of which were firsts. But most importantly, it was spent in great company, with guys that were genuinely happy for my success that night. And if it hadn't of been for their help in the first place, on here and on previous fishing trips, I would never had caught what I did. Thanks guys, Mark.

·
Premium Member
25,695 Posts
Been waiting for this to come up, congrats mate what a cracking fish, you can wait a lifetime for one of them to come out and still be disappointed.

had been hoping to join you guys (I regret it now jay :( ) so technically obviously it's my fish ;)

Can't wait to see pics well done again mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Was a pleasure seeing that one hit the beach Mark. You can see why I've started taking the extendable gaff. Just imagine that bucket of a mouth open in a backwash. That water was a beautiful colour for something very good and you got it mate. It must have homed in on the prawn scent and bypassed all the lug, rag and squid offerings that us mere mortals were offering. It just shows that experimenting and not following the norm, can, and often does produce something a bit special. You've been singing the praise for prawn every time I've fished with you, and now you've proved it mate. Well done, and here's a couple of pics. Mustn't forget Luke getting one of his target species, the Sole, using his Fishyrob inspired rig. Also well done. Can't wait for the next session.

Mark

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been waiting for this to come up, congrats mate what a cracking fish, you can wait a lifetime for one of them to come out and still be disappointed.

had been hoping to join you guys (I regret it now jay :( ) so technically obviously it's my fish ;)

Can't wait to see pics well done again mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a shame you couldn't have come along mate, it would have been good to meet you. It was a great evenings fishing and that was even before the cod showed up.

G

·
Well done Mark,great fish,gonna take a lot of batter or you going to have it wall mounted,......i`m sure i recognize that shingle lol......Alan

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was a pleasure seeing that one hit the beach Mark. You can see why I've started taking the extendable gaff. Just imagine that bucket of a mouth open in a backwash. That water was a beautiful colour for something very good and you got it mate. It must have homed in on the prawn scent and bypassed all the lug, rag and squid offerings that us mere mortals were offering. It just shows that experimenting and not following the norm, can, and often does produce something a bit special. You've been singing the praise for prawn every time I've fished with you, and now you've proved it mate. Well done, and here's a couple of pics. Mustn't forget Luke getting one of his target species, the Sole, using his Fishyrob inspired rig. Also well done. Can't wait for the next session.

Well it very nearly did get dragged back in to the surf, hence me jumping in after it. Thankfully the waterproofs kept the sea out of my wellies!!!
When Jay had his cod the other week and it's gut was loaded with shrimp, that made me think that prawn were worth trying again. That said, mine had a sea scorpion and a bunch of small crabs in its stomach.
Thanks for the pics Mark and I have to say, i'm just as happy about the rays as I am the cod. I think we had 3 or 4 mini thornies that night between us. It would be nice to meet the parents of the little uns sometime.

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done Mark,great fish,gonna take a lot of batter or you going to have it wall mounted,......i`m sure i recognize that shingle lol......Alan
Don't be fooled by the shingle, it took hours to wheel that stuff down for the photo! lol

Cheers for sticking the pics up Jay.

And they made me do the "hold the fish out at the camera" shot before anybody says anything!!:showoff:

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,040 Posts
I love reports like this... just a simple " I went fishing, caught a fantastic fish, now I'm over the moon" it's what this forum is all about... Well done and thank you for sharing

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
:thumbs: Well done, thank goodness....i really needed to read that today, roll on some more blows then, stuff summer, now where did i put my reuseable tesco carrier bags:g:

I have that feeling theres gonna be a rush on tiger prawns for a while...lol

Just had a thought.......I wonder what a Marks and spencers tiger prawn would have caught?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well done mate was a cracking catch chuffed for ya

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Well done mark cracker of a fish!!! (poor from u Jay though lol ;) )

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good report mate :thumbs: sounded like a busy session for you :D Congratulations on your first ever Cod and what a cracker :clap2:
Still waiting for mine (failed at Chesil yesterday) :wah:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.