World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing for white sea bream , when i got this surprise . At first i didn't know what it was , only when it surfaced did i saw that it was a thick lip grey mullet . Being to heavy the rod started to bend too much for me to pull it up so i tried to grab the line , it was to far then i went to upper ground to compensate the bending of the road . Eventually i got it in .

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Nice fish there mate
My friend Marc had a 12 lber
Gave him the right run around lols

·
13,191 Posts
We have one in our local estuary
We have named arnie he's a good twenty swims around with two or three others all over ten he's been visiting for the last two years hope he comes back this year
An amazing fish
Sometimes I just stop fishing and sit there and watch him
Mooching about
Every time they disturb the bottom small bass rush in and grab
Bits and pieces thrown up

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
12 lb is a monster :)

I hooked a 7 lb one in the back while lure fishing from my kayak, gave me the run around for 30 mins even pulling the yak.

JonD

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Also she's a very old fish (big fish are almost certainly female).

(you can tell the age of a mullet by counting the rings on its scales. I find it easiest to scan the scale at maximum resolution, then print it out expanded to A4 size, then pencil mark each ring)

In cooler UK waters mullet don't start to spawn until they are around 3lb, and it takes 10 years to get to 3lb!

A 8lb+ fish will be considerably older and a great spawner (older fish not only produce much more spawn, but the fry are more likely to survive than the offspring of early spawners).

There is plenty of evidence that mullet will come back to the same place every year, a little bigger each summer. She will probably have been a summer visitor to where she was caught for the last 20 years or more.

·
13,191 Posts

I hooked a 7 lb one in the back while lure fishing from my kayak, gave me the run around for 30 mins even pulling the yak.

JonD
Hi Jon it took my mate 45 mins to get it in
Milford haven docks

Reactions: JonD

·
13,191 Posts
Also she's a very old fish (big fish are almost certainly female).

(you can tell the age of a mullet by counting the rings on its scales. I find it easiest to scan the scale at maximum resolution, then print it out expanded to A4 size, then pencil mark each ring)

In cooler UK waters mullet don't start to spawn until they are around 3lb, and it takes 10 years to get to 3lb!

A 8lb+ fish will be considerably older and a great spawner (older fish not only produce much more spawn, but the fry are more likely to survive than the offspring of early spawners).

There is plenty of evidence that mullet will come back to the same place every year, a little bigger each summer. She will probably have been a summer visitor to where she was caught for the last 20 years or more.
God knows how old a twenty must be
Arnie may come back this year but I'm worried the netters may have got him
Will try and get a pic this year to put up

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do your mullet's like to swim on fresh water and salt water mixed togeter , where the rivers and oceans meet like the ones i have in my island ?

·
13,191 Posts
Do your mullet's like to swim on fresh water and salt water mixed togeter , where the rivers and oceans meet like the ones i have in my island ?
Yes mate they move from the estuary into the river blackwater and back
Normally there are thousands
But of late there missing
Who knows we're
Great place the Azores seen plenty of big tuna caught in magazines

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[QUOTE="
Great place the Azores seen plenty of big tuna caught in magazines[/QUOTE]

Now with the low cost air flyghts from ryanair and easejet anybody can plan a weekend of fishing here in Azores , i've see ticket's to london at 40 euros can you believe that , i almost wet to see the famous river thames we so much see in movies hahaha .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts