World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend JohnyP :kissing: is thinking about sailing from Brid to Whitby next month but his engine goes through petrol like its going out of fashion and he's only got 2 large tanks. Anybody got any idea of the approximate mileage between Brid and Whitby and the likely fuel consumption of a 2 stroke engine on a flat-calm day??? I don't think its such a good idea cos there's nowhere to call in for petrol. :g: Joanne

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
well you do have scrabough half way if thats any help. been into whitby on a many occassion, there is also a petrol station close to the quay at whitby.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Anyone advising JohnyP's girlfriend. This is a link to a P/Kingfisher

http://www.highwaymarinegroup.co.uk/cgi-bin/public.pl?action=detail&id=63

Gives an idea what it is. 75hp = 25kts

Good idea?? :g: Perhaps with another boat, a couple or three extra 5 gal jerry cans (per boat) and choose the weather very carefully. Local knowledge may be required to make it a successful fishing trip? There are lots of variables:unsure:

Why not book a place on a charter and let the skipper put you on the fish?

·
Registered
595 Posts
if its for a fishing trip i think i would tow and launch from whitby theres a concrete slip costs around £17 50 including parking for car&trailor its a long steam back if the weather were to turn bad, it is something we say were going to do but never get on with it , who knows maybe this season regards steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Done the Brid to Whitby thing myself a few times over the last couple of years and yes it's about 35miles to the harbour so roughly a two hour steam at 18kts.
Crossing Scarborough bay/Filey will probably the most dodgy for you this is where you will be the most exposed if sailing a stright line, of course you can hug the coast but this will increase milage. Whitby marina is a great mooring but fuel ie petrol is a pain you'll need transport to get to the neatest petrol station which is about half a mile away and all uphill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boyfriend JohnyP :kissing: is thinking about sailing from Brid to Whitby next month but his engine goes through petrol like its going out of fashion and he's only got 2 large tanks. Anybody got any idea of the approximate mileage between Brid and Whitby and the likely fuel consumption of a 2 stroke engine on a flat-calm day??? I don't think its such a good idea cos there's nowhere to call in for petrol. :g: Joanne
Hi Joanne,
I’m not sure what size your boyfriend’s boat or engine is, but it’s always a good thing to use the tide if you can. It will reduce fuel consumption when running at optimum speed.

Scarborough is approximately half way so you can stop off there if required.

Might I suggest you leave Bridlington after half ebb (three hours after high water). Be mindful of Flamborough Head, Filey Brig and Whitby Rock. (Get some local advice if you are not sure of these areas.)

If you are making the return journey, a good time to set off from Whitby is half flood - three hours before high water.

Keep in touch with Humber coastguard via VHF radio, making sure you report in on completion of your voyage.

Have a good trip!
Kind regards,
JB

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
sounds sound advice, didnt relise the petrol satation had gone it was well handy only being 25 yards from comercial quay, even with red diesel and un vat petrol on sail.!!

but p[ersonaly i would rather tow the boat there and go out than sail it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts