World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trialing my freshwater bite alarms in the sea and have finally come up with a way to use them succesfully. It has taken a bit of trial and error but I seem to have it cracked now. Why the trial? Well i like being different but am fed up with tip lights which work one day and not the next or getting snagged on them when casting and cracking off. I dont have to look at my rod tip all night now which allows for less neck ache and more comfortable fishing. I made a video of the system in operation and will upload it here soon.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Oh no!

Had it for years on stillwaters, beep beep, bloody beep beep, never liked them at all, they chased me to the rivers, and now they have chased me to the beach, how long before the bivvys and carp wheelbarrows arrive ?

:bleh:

Dave

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no!

Had it for years on stillwaters, beep beep, bloody beep beep, never liked them at all, they chased me to the rivers, and now they have chased me to the beach, how long before the bivvys and carp wheelbarrows arrive ?

Dave
Beeping alarms are a mare i hate them too but this is different dave. We are only fishing for one beep that has indicated a slack line. Of course people using alarms can always use more decorum when setting them but that is down to the individual. Take a look at the video and then let me know what you think. It should be ready soon half way through the upload process now.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Beeping alarms are a mare i hate them too but this is different dave. We are only fishing for one beep that has indicated a slack line. Of course people using alarms can always use more decorum when setting them but that is down to the individual. Take a look at the video and then let me know what you think. It should be ready soon half way through the upload process now.
I find the perfect setting for electronic alarms is about 100 yards out .... or as close to that as you can throw them. Set like that they never seem to upset other beach users :bleh::bleh::bleh:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I find the perfect setting for electronic alarms is about 100 yards out .... or as close to that as you can throw them. Set like that they never seem to upset other beach users :bleh::bleh::bleh:
The bells,the bells. The best alarm is one that's at the bottom of the sea bed. But each to their own.:nono::nono::nono:. Please don't fish near me cause people find my B.O very toxic.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Hi Mr Ex Carper, you have selected the option that does not allow your youtube vid to be played on mobile devices, as I use an Ipad, I cannot watch it .....and the wifey is using her Apple Computer, maybe I will get to view it sometime in the distant fuuture :g:

Dave

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Hope it works for you, maybe if you get a silent wireless version with earphones to hear the alarm going off I might try it, I do use Delkims for winter static deadbaiting for pike I must admit, but I only use them when on lonely lakes where the only person for miles is me.

Good luck and tightlines.

Dave

G

·
not for me not ever , this is for specimen carp hunters who may have to wait hours /days for a big run and thats fine , half the fun when seafishing for me is watching that rod tip , what else are u supposed to do ??? plain daft

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope it works for you, maybe if you get a silent wireless version with earphones to hear the alarm going off I might try it, I do use Delkims for winter static deadbaiting for pike I must admit, but I only use them when on lonely lakes where the only person for miles is me.

Good luck and tightlines.

Dave
Thats the plan wireless version and no one will know I am using them. THe bait boat idea may have some future...... hmmmmm na even I aint that mad:icecream:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not many positive comments and I do fully understand you guys not wanting to go the way of carp fishing. Sea fishing is totaly different. My reasons for trialing them are genuine. There are not a lot of fish left to be caught due to massive overfishing off our beaches by trawlers and nets. The few fish that do venture inshore are there to be caught and i would be gutted if a fish of a lifetime took anyones bait screamed off with it and that person was having a **** or tying rigs and never noticed having spent weeks in pursuit of a big shore cod or bass. The setup I used is like having a fishing partner tap you on the shoulder and saying you have a bite mate.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Not many positive comments and I do fully understand you guys not wanting to go the way of carp fishing. Sea fishing is totaly different. My reasons for trialing them are genuine. There are not a lot of fish left to be caught due to massive overfishing off our beaches by trawlers and nets. The few fish that do venture inshore are there to be caught and i would be gutted if a fish of a lifetime took anyones bait screamed off with it and that person was having a **** or tying rigs and never noticed having spent weeks in pursuit of a big shore cod or bass. The setup I used is like having a fishing partner tap you on the shoulder and saying you have a bite mate.
Make sure you have enough rigs tied before you head down the beach and there's no need for that problem. Yes, there's the chance you may be having a pee, but the chances are if it's something that's going to set off a bite alarm then it's probably hooked itself already and I never go more than a few meters for a pee anyway.

If you really want some form of bite alarm for sea fishing then just use a multiplier with a ratchet, that'll do more or less what you want. Other than that just get used to watching the rod tips (and this bit isn't meant as a dig) and you'll be fine.

More people seem to be joining us from carping, which is only a good thing. You just need to bear in mind that sea fishing is a massively different game from being sat by a lovely comfortable lake stocked with puddle pigs (again, not a dig, just my view).

The seas may not have quite as many fish as they once did, but there's still loads to be caught if you know what you're doing. I've blanked twice in the last 7 or so years since I got back in to sea fishing, have had some cracking sessions and a few lumps. There's nothing like standing by the rod when you see a tiny twitch that suddenly turns into said rod damn near being dragged out of your hands.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Oh no!

Dave
And camo bleeding flasks, and names for bleeding fish, bleeding bait alarms. Dave

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another nice bass using my alarm last night. Was just me two hours into the flood windy and rough sea. Different type of bite this time had a big pull round followed by a big slack line. The alarm indicated this perfectly. I had half an eye on the rod tip and the other was re wrapping wet lug in dry newspaper. Fish was a beauty but quite lean. Never named him like a carp as most of my bass are called dinner! HAve found the bobbin tight under the blank is the key to its great bite detection. It remained silent all night apart from the bass bite.THe heavier the bobbin the better as it just drops away like a stone on a slack line giving instant notification of a slack line. Will continue using this as well as looking at my rod tip but you cant be looking all the time and this is why i am using them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts