World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just posted this in the shore angling section, as it was a reply to @Colin Chaplin in an old thread about being unable to save stuff in Rig sketcher, but I thought it might be better here too.

Laugh all you like, but here it is! My so called Cork rig. I guess (in my dreams) I was trying to create some sort of 'helicopter' rig with long snoods that wouldn't tangle. I'm thick skinned - make of it what you will! :D :D
No doubt there are other/better ways of doing similar, but I wanted to keep components to a minimum, and a bag of old wine corks was winking at me! You could make the rig body & the snoods as long or short as you wish - I think the one I made up was about 1 metre.

I got over the problem with not being able to log in and save stuff on Rig Sketcher by taking a screenshot of the basic rig in Firefox. I then found Inkscape - an excellent free bit of software, to add the text, arrows, and the magic Cork! I'm still looking for a source of downloadable fishing clip-art to bypass Rig Sketcher.

Fishing_cork_rig2.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also believe it may be only one cast per cork slice !
The 2-3mm hole was only a suggestion, and I used beads above the hooks in the drawing, but as stated, I used 50mm lumi rig tubing on the one I made, and the cork is just a gentle pinch fit over the tubing. It may well disintegate after a cast or two - time will tell, but trouble with a swollen foot has prevented any testing! It was only an idea that came to me, and part of it was to try out & solve problems with Rig Sketcher.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
The 2-3mm hole was only a suggestion, and I used beads above the hooks in the drawing, but as stated, I used 50mm lumi rig tubing on the one I made, and the cork is just a gentle pinch fit over the tubing. It may well disintegate after a cast or two - time will tell, but trouble with a swollen foot has prevented any testing! It was only an idea that came to me, and part of it was to try out & solve problems with Rig Sketcher.
Sniggle is right, that won't survive the G of the initial cast without sliding up.
Also, the resistance of a cork in the air will dramatically reduce your distance.

If I may, maybe better to use two 'canny clips', facing either way, so the hooks are kept in place on separate sides of your main trace?

Hard to explain, but imagine two of these clips (the one holding the hook), facing opposite directions. These release when tension reduces (on splash down) releasing hooks.
You'll get a much better cast without the cork.

IMG_0403.JPG

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sniggle is right, that won't survive the G of the initial cast without sliding up.
Also, the resistance of a cork in the air will dramatically reduce your distance.

If I may, maybe better to use two 'canny clips', facing either way, so the hooks are kept in place on separate sides of your main trace?

Hard to explain, but imagine two of these clips (the one holding the hook), facing opposite directions. These release when tension reduces (on splash down) releasing hooks.
You'll get a much better cast without the cork.

View attachment 1290131
Thanks Lipslicker! All input graciously received! It was something I dreamed up (must have had a few!) and mentioned to Colin Chaplin during a discussion on that RigSketcher thingy, so Colin insisted I put it up when I had got it drawn! It was more for lobbing a couple of small baits from a harbour or rock mark whilst lure fishing with another rod, as opposed to a "screaming reels" 100+ metre cast from a beach or similar. It was also a bit inspired from a thread saying people were getting their long snoods in a tangle!
On the one I actually made, I used luminous rig tubing instead of the beads, and the Cork is a snug sliding fit over the rig tubing, so for what I intended it for, I think the Cork will stay in place! My other thought was that once the weight was on the bottom, the Cork, having slid up to the swivels, would lift them up slightly encouraging the snoods to stream out without getting caught on the bottom! I could have used a couple of rig clips, but I was trying to keep components to a minimum, and with the cork, the snood length is not so critical. I see what you mean from your photo, but that wire loopy thingy on your hook looks like it would make it difficult to thread worm baits on? Thanks for the input! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Thanks Lipslicker! All input graciously received! It was something I dreamed up (must have had a few!) and mentioned to Colin Chaplin during a discussion on that RigSketcher thingy, so Colin insisted I put it up when I had got it drawn! It was more for lobbing a couple of small baits from a harbour or rock mark whilst lure fishing with another rod, as opposed to a "screaming reels" 100+ metre cast from a beach or similar. It was also a bit inspired from a thread saying people were getting their long snoods in a tangle!
On the one I actually made, I used luminous rig tubing instead of the beads, and the Cork is a snug slidng fit over the rig tubing, so for what I intended it for, I think the Cork will stay in place! My other thought was that once the weight was on the bottom, the Cork, having slid up to the swivels, would lift them up slightly encouraging the snoods to stream out without getting caught on the bottom! I could have used a couple of rig clips, but I was trying to keep components to a minimum, and with the cork, the snood length is not so critical. I see what you mean from your photo, but that wire loopy thingy on your hook looks like it would make it difficult to thread worm baits on? Thanks for the input! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Take no notice of the wired hook, that is for a different purpose - so that baits tied to the hook shank do not slip round the bend in cast or splashdown filling the 'gape'. Quite important with baits like crab and cart.
If using with worm, you just tie them on, as opposed thread them. Allows bunches of worms to be hooked without them sliding down.

The clips are just shaped with long nose pliers, in 1.6mm galvanised steel.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Incidentally, if you want to keep hook ends off floor (when there are crabs, say) thread your hook with Rainy's Float tube and tie bait on.
Bit more aerodynamic than corks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Incidentally, if you want to keep hook ends off floor (when there are crabs, say) thread your hook with Rainy's Float tube and tie bait on.
Bit more aerodynamic than corks.
Cheers dude! I've got some Lumi floating beads & I did wonder about a couple, but as I said, purely experimental. At least I've found a way around the failings of Rig Sketcher! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Sorry but I can't see the point of this rig. Looks like a tangle a cast since the 2 snoods arn't separated on the main body. Plus you will be fishing 2 baits right next door to each other which might affect your catch rate. Why would I want to use this instead of a simple 2 hook flapper?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Sorry but I can't see the point of this rig. Looks like a tangle a cast since the 2 snoods arn't separated on the main body. Plus you will be fishing 2 baits right next door to each other which might affect your catch rate. Why would I want to use this instead of a simple 2 hook flapper?
I'll give you a clue..............WINE CORK !

Sheeesh some people .
:wink:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeez, some folks just totally miss the point, or fail to read the whole thread correctly. This rig was the result of a discussion with another member about being able to design & save, on a computer, rigs that we had created or wished to illustrate. Nobody said you had to use it, or that it had any advantages over anything else.
The Cork is slid down to the weight & hooks before casting (short distance inshore, not pendulum or similar from a beach). As the Cork hits the water, it slides up to the swivels and allows 2 long flowing traces to do their thing. No tangles, no baits right next to each other. In fact, with 3ft snoods, the baits theoretically could be 6ft apart. Go exercise yer Flapper - I need another Cork, time to open another bottle! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D:D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
All input graciously received ? Just as well you are so thick skinned or you might over react.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Well done , its called experimentation.
I've just posted this in the shore angling section, as it was a reply to @Colin Chaplin in an old thread about being unable to save stuff in Rig sketcher, but I thought it might be better here too.

Laugh all you like, but here it is! My so called Cork rig. I guess (in my dreams) I was trying to create some sort of 'helicopter' rig with long snoods that wouldn't tangle. I'm thick skinned - make of it what you will! :D :D
No doubt there are other/better ways of doing similar, but I wanted to keep components to a minimum, and a bag of old wine corks was winking at me! You could make the rig body & the snoods as long or short as you wish - I think the one I made up was about 1 metre.

I got over the problem with not being able to log in and save stuff on Rig Sketcher by taking a screenshot of the basic rig in Firefox. I then found Inkscape - an excellent free bit of software, to add the text, arrows, and the magic Cork! I'm still looking for a source of downloadable fishing clip-art to bypass Rig Sketcher.

View attachment 1290063

1 - 15 of 15 Posts