World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few years I have been holidaying near the Lizard and had the odd fishing trip during my stay. This year I had my own car which meant more fishing and with the help of Newtown Angling and Cfish who had replied to my Pm's I was ready to fish for new species.

Porthleven
Okay this is an old fishing haunt of mine, the sort of place where float fishing is deemed normal (I'm from Essex where float fishing is left to the pond chuckers).
Setting up a float rig an old local joins me and says cast just in front of you and you will get wrasse and put your second rod between those buys andyou stand a chance of a decent fish. So flat rig casted out just in front of me while the second rod clipped down and casted some 40 yards out towards the bouys. Good casts he says and we sit and wait...and wait....and wait some more. Eventually I bring the float rig in, or I try to as its stuck on a rock and eventually the whole rig snaps off. The float stays where it is as the hook is stuck on a rock and the float just bobs up and down. The second rod is reeled in, or it would do as that is snagged and another rig is lost. The old man chuckles to himself and walks off.
Not being one to give up I carry on, with a few more rigs getting snagged and the icing on the cake was when my second float rig become entangled with the first rig causing two rigs bobbing up and down while waiting for low tide so some local can retrieve them. Oh well, fished caught 0, rigs lost 2 floats and a few cheap 3 ounce weights.
Mevagessey
My favourite venue, why you might ask, well my mrs loves quaint town and is happy to spend all day shopping in their quirky shops while I try and get to grips with float fishing. Now I know that wrasse love ragworm and float fished rag can whittle away the time. Not this time as the little buggers didn't want to know. Okay plan 2, short snood with sand eel and wait for the gar. While my float bobbled around I set up a 2 hook paternoster rig with rag and dropped that down the side of the harbour wall. No here is the trick, hold the rod and ensure the weight is on the bottom and the hooks are off the bottom of the sea bed and wait. Oh yes the wrasse loved this and hand size wrasse one after the other was landed. Then the float disappears and my first ever gar is landed. Both rigs set out again and more wrasse with one about 3/4 of pound, in no means big but the best one yet. A second gar is caught. By about now I'm in desperate need to spend a penny so I'm of to the toilet, ,on returning I speak to a couple of fishermen who says they have had a couple of pollock, so I reposition myself nearer to them. Some set up but with sandeel instead of rag, 1 small pollock later and I'm back to using rag. A bigger wrasse this one about a pound is landed and I'm one happy bunny.
Porthleven the return.
My last fishing trip of the holiday and this time I'm fishing the end of the long harbour wall. Set up on the first rod is a float rig with size 2 hook and slightly defrosted sandeel and the second rog is a size 2 Pompey rig. This time there is to be no lost float rigs and all the bottom fishing rigs are to have old weights on. This time it's a small pollock who take the float rig although I didn't even see the float go under. The other od starts nodding away and it's a small wrasse. Both rigs out again apart from its rag on the float and half a sandeel on each hook for the pompey rig. The Pompey rig is only cast 15 yards and the float rig is happy bobbling away. The pompey rig shows some signs of life, not with a gentle knock knock but with a thump. It strike and everything goes solid for s second, then movement. I'm not stuck on a rock, but it feels like weed with the weight of it. Then some movement, pollock I'm thinking as a black shape appears, no bugger me it's a conger. I have a bloody conger on a size 2 hook with 15lb breaking line snood at the bottom of Porthleven harbour wall in broad daylight. Now I know there is only one way this is going to end so why did I even think about trying to beach the bloody thing. With one twist of its head the line breaks the other hook comes flying at me like a missile and the conger is gone. After that it was. Back to little pollock although I did try and use one as a live bait this time with bigger hooks and stronger line but to no avail. With bait running out another local suggested I try casting straight out and put the other rig out the other side of the harbour wall. With nothing to lose apart from another rig I casted out with rag as bait and waited. The second rod was cast straight out with a float on and more small pollock. Eventually I released in the first rod and it was heavy. With no knocks I presumed it was weed but eventually a small wrasse appeared on the top hook and a much bigger one on the bottom hook. Neither attempted to fight a I hand lines rig up the wall. The biggest wrasse was 41cm no scales so I couldn't weigh it, but I was happy.
All in all a lovely holiday with some great fishing tales and the scenery was amazing. And a big thanks you to Newtown Angling Centre and Cfish.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I'll be the first to reply Jassyfa after 86 views ??

Sound like you had some fun there and that you were kept occupied most of the time,it's good to catch when on

holiday no matter where you are. :thumbs:

Tight Lines

Dave

As a kid we spent most of our holidays at Walton on Naze

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like you had a busy couple of sessions. Cornwall fishing is a whole new learning curve with all the rocky marks. I am not long back from 12 days near Tintagel and I must have left Lbs of lead amongst the rocks.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

·
Power to the peaceful
2,160 Posts
For the past few years I have been holidaying near the Lizard and had the odd fishing trip during my stay. This year I had my own car which meant more fishing and with the help of Newtown Angling and Cfish who had replied to my Pm's I was ready to fish for new species.

Porthleven
Okay this is an old fishing haunt of mine, the sort of place where float fishing is deemed normal (I'm from Essex where float fishing is left to the pond chuckers).
Setting up a float rig an old local joins me and says cast just in front of you and you will get wrasse and put your second rod between those buys andyou stand a chance of a decent fish. So flat rig casted out just in front of me while the second rod clipped down and casted some 40 yards out towards the bouys. Good casts he says and we sit and wait...and wait....and wait some more. Eventually I bring the float rig in, or I try to as its stuck on a rock and eventually the whole rig snaps off. The float stays where it is as the hook is stuck on a rock and the float just bobs up and down. The second rod is reeled in, or it would do as that is snagged and another rig is lost. The old man chuckles to himself and walks off.
Not being one to give up I carry on, with a few more rigs getting snagged and the icing on the cake was when my second float rig become entangled with the first rig causing two rigs bobbing up and down while waiting for low tide so some local can retrieve them. Oh well, fished caught 0, rigs lost 2 floats and a few cheap 3 ounce weights.
Mevagessey
My favourite venue, why you might ask, well my mrs loves quaint town and is happy to spend all day shopping in their quirky shops while I try and get to grips with float fishing. Now I know that wrasse love ragworm and float fished rag can whittle away the time. Not this time as the little buggers didn't want to know. Okay plan 2, short snood with sand eel and wait for the gar. While my float bobbled around I set up a 2 hook paternoster rig with rag and dropped that down the side of the harbour wall. No here is the trick, hold the rod and ensure the weight is on the bottom and the hooks are off the bottom of the sea bed and wait. Oh yes the wrasse loved this and hand size wrasse one after the other was landed. Then the float disappears and my first ever gar is landed. Both rigs set out again and more wrasse with one about 3/4 of pound, in no means big but the best one yet. A second gar is caught. By about now I'm in desperate need to spend a penny so I'm of to the toilet, ,on returning I speak to a couple of fishermen who says they have had a couple of pollock, so I reposition myself nearer to them. Some set up but with sandeel instead of rag, 1 small pollock later and I'm back to using rag. A bigger wrasse this one about a pound is landed and I'm one happy bunny.
Porthleven the return.
My last fishing trip of the holiday and this time I'm fishing the end of the long harbour wall. Set up on the first rod is a float rig with size 2 hook and slightly defrosted sandeel and the second rog is a size 2 Pompey rig. This time there is to be no lost float rigs and all the bottom fishing rigs are to have old weights on. This time it's a small pollock who take the float rig although I didn't even see the float go under. The other od starts nodding away and it's a small wrasse. Both rigs out again apart from its rag on the float and half a sandeel on each hook for the pompey rig. The Pompey rig is only cast 15 yards and the float rig is happy bobbling away. The pompey rig shows some signs of life, not with a gentle knock knock but with a thump. It strike and everything goes solid for s second, then movement. I'm not stuck on a rock, but it feels like weed with the weight of it. Then some movement, pollock I'm thinking as a black shape appears, no bugger me it's a conger. I have a bloody conger on a size 2 hook with 15lb breaking line snood at the bottom of Porthleven harbour wall in broad daylight. Now I know there is only one way this is going to end so why did I even think about trying to beach the bloody thing. With one twist of its head the line breaks the other hook comes flying at me like a missile and the conger is gone. After that it was. Back to little pollock although I did try and use one as a live bait this time with bigger hooks and stronger line but to no avail. With bait running out another local suggested I try casting straight out and put the other rig out the other side of the harbour wall. With nothing to lose apart from another rig I casted out with rag as bait and waited. The second rod was cast straight out with a float on and more small pollock. Eventually I released in the first rod and it was heavy. With no knocks I presumed it was weed but eventually a small wrasse appeared on the top hook and a much bigger one on the bottom hook. Neither attempted to fight a I hand lines rig up the wall. The biggest wrasse was 41cm no scales so I couldn't weigh it, but I was happy.
All in all a lovely holiday with some great fishing tales and the scenery was amazing. And a big thanks you to Newtown Angling Centre and Cfish.
nice to see a visitor reporting back to us all....
thank you...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts