World Sea Fishing Forums banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 1.

After last week’s partial success I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone this week, in an effort to perform CPR on the North Wales Catch Report section :D and to press home my advantage by confusing the bass even more than they were already I hatched a cunning plan to venture out twice again. The first of those times was on Wednesday evening and for the first time in a while the conditions seemed perfect, with only light winds and some thin high cloud to partially obscure the warm evening sunshine :cool:. Like last Wednesday I was joined by Dan Eds but this time our chosen venue was a couple of miles away from where we found the schoolies last week and we were both looking forward to fishing a different mark where we were hopeful of catching something a little bigger.

After a mad dash to the island we met up about 90 minutes before high and after a brief chat with Marks R and F, who had the same idea as us, we were soon fishing. Personally I would have preferred high water a couple of hours later, once dark had completely fallen, but having caught at this particular mark on the ebb before the signs still looked good for some silver action.

While I started off with my usual selection of lures including the baby Patch, SF125 and Salt Skimmer Dan had brought mainly soft plastics so it would be interesting to compare techniques and to see which, if any, was the most productive on the night. Unfortunately and despite the conditions high water came and went without any signs of action apart from the odd leaping sea trout so Dan set off to explore further afield, while I decided to tough it out in the hope that the bass would pass through my ambush at some point of the evening.

As it happened Dan, Myself and the 2 Marks weren’t the only ones about as about as half a mile or so along the shore was a boat, it was an almost spring evening scene on the water with the peace only disturbed occasionally as the guys fishing on boats further along the shore motored back up tide to re-start their drift.

Dusk passed and despite several more lure changes and a dabble with some SPs myself there was still no sign of action. Dan eventually returned soon after darkness proper had fallen and he had just texted Mark, as it turned out that they were having a much more productive night than us with 3 bass and a couple of small pollack. This news was enough to spur Dan into another move so he headed off to a likely looking spot in the direction of the car while once more I decided to stay where I was. 20 minutes or so later I received a text from Dan, telling me that he was calling it a night but being a stubborn b****r I wasn’t about to give up just yet.

I decided on another change of lure and clipped on a Bay Ruff Manic in Joker, I hoped that being a bit more subtle it would tempt a take in the mirror calm conditions and sure enough after only 3 casts I finally felt the sensation of a fishy attack on my lure, it wasn’t big by any stretch of the imagination and after the first lunge it gave up rather quickly, from experience I knew exactly what it was and sure enough a small Pollack was soon laying on the shore. Though it wasn’t my target species I was still relieved to beat the blank :).

After a quick photo and release I couldn’t resist a quick text to Dan before I got back to the fishing, hoping that things were finally picking up. 2 casts later and I discovered that they were as my lure was hit again way out in the darkness. This time the fish didn’t give in straight away and I knew that I had finally got what I was after, though it fought all the way in there was never any danger of it winning the fight and I soon had it beached, yes it was a bass but unbelievably it was even smaller than the one I caught last week! :rolleyes: A bass is a bass though and I was still chuffed :cool:.

It looked like Dan had chosen completely the wrong moment to call it a night and that things could really kick off now but as soon as it had begun the action was over again and despite my best efforts I couldn’t buy another bight :(.

I carried on trying though and despite the lack of any further action I was still enjoying myself, standing waist deep in the oily calm water and listening to some truly massive sea trout leaping out in the darkness but it wasn’t to last and at around midnight the boaters from earlier in the evening returned and now, joined by a second boat, they decided to shatter the tranquillity of a beautiful early summers night by motoring across in front of me while talking / shouting to each other so loudly that everyone on the shore, whether they be interested or not, could hear every word they were saying above the drone of the outboards :mad:.

Eventually the racket faded into the distance as peace and quiet descended once more but 10 minutes later they were back and Motoring in the opposite direction! :eek:

That was it for me so I decided to call it a night myself, with another session planned for the following night I needed my beauty sleep so I headed for home at 00:30.

Part 2.

Following my partial success of Wednesday night I couldn’t wait to get out again but after the benign conditions of the previous 24 hours the weather gods struck back with a vengeance and the forecast was for strong south westerly winds gusting to force 5 or 6, this ruled out all of the marks where I’d been successful so far this year but I wasn’t about to let it stop me from wetting a line so I headed for a completely different type of venue, which though it hasn’t been particularly productive for me in the past, would be completely sheltered from the prevailing winds.

I arrived at my chosen mark about 2 hours before high water and I was pleasantly surprised to find flat calm conditions with good water clarity. Unlike the mark of the previous night the ground here was composed of medium to large boulders and due to the lack of depth I began by fishing top-waters in the clear water between the rocks, as the tide rose though I concentrated on fishing over the top of the largest boulders as they became submerged, hoping that the bass would be lying in wait to pounce on any bite sized morsels which might swim past, but my efforts were in vain and I didn’t see any fishy signs whatsoever :(.

With the approach of high tide I was forced onto a rocky outcrop where I was cut off for an hour or so but I used the time to try everything in my armoury from floating and diving hard plastics to several different types of SPs including senkos, Black Minnows and Crazy Sandeels but no matter what I threw at them either the bass weren’t hungry or they simply weren’t there.

I was thoroughly demoralised by now and so once the tide dropped sufficiently I made good my escape and headed back for the car. I wasn’t done yet though and with the time still at 23:30 there was time for one last throw of the dice so I headed for a beach mark which just happened to be on my way home ;).

Now you may be wondering if the night may end in glory, as I hoped it would, but though the mark was perfectly fishable, with a nice looking surf and clear water, the bass weren’t playing ball and I eventually had to admit defeat and head for home at 01:00.

So this week’s fishing has been almost exactly the same as last week, with some limited success on the Wednesday giving my confidence a boost in time for Thursday, but which sadly resulted in another blank. My bass are also getting smaller but on the plus side I’m still ticking over and I’m keeping them guessing as to what my next move will be :D.

·
Registered
x_posts
Another engrossing report Andy - great read as usual.
As you said, conditions looked ideal and Mark and I having all 3 still in the light gave high hopes for the sport after dark.
As most here will testify the only thing predictable in this game is the unpredictability!

Great to catch up with you again and well done on the well earned silver. It's bound to drop into place for us round here very soon!

Tight lines and all luck matey.

·
Registered
x_posts
Well done for hanging in there Andy, great read I was there with you. As already stated there's a big one out there with your name on it.

Reactions: andy1965
x_y_of_z_posts