World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before Iget into this, I am thinking some of you may remember that Ihad a session at the beginning of January and posted up a report which lacked any bass in it.
You are quite correct but if you remember I caught that tennis ball sized sea urchin and its adjoining rock therefore avoiding the blank.......
Anyyhow....
Had today booked off for a few weeks as using up holiday before Ifinish my current job on Friday and the plan was always to get out fishing and see if a Kentish February bass could be on the cards.
As the weather was not good for any form of clarity in the water pretty much anywhere in Kent, I decided that my local backup mark (where Icaught my first Bass) was on the cards.
Turned up in time to start fishing at 11:30 till 3:30 and was happy to see mullet swimming in the tea colour water. There was only around 6" visibility but as Shaun recently pointed out, im new to this and still over eager(and therefore fish when I should go home and blank).
I fished the whole session without the sign of a bass but did get a good go on my new rarenium and ballistic pairing which Imust admit is a dream compared to my old setup.
I went through lures of all depths both soft and hard, surface and sub, but it was just not to be.
Idid however find that certain lures of mine have been given a new lease of life by my new outfit and both cast and perform better than they used to.
Would also like to mention that I tested out my Duo Spearhead Ryuki 80s today which I think is a treat of a lure. Its a sinking lure that has a nice and subtle (glass sounding) rattle and vibrates better than the zonk (more like the tight wobble of an x-rap). I was fishing it in very shallow water but was able to maintain a suitable depth and think as a halfway between jerk baits and vib lures its a nice addition to the tackle box.
Also tested out my "brat pack" lure from Hennie and will confirm it flies like its possessed. Gathered a lot of loose weed and grass so cant comment further yet but hope to soon with a fish attached to it on a photo.
Not worth talking about the rest of the session as it was quite uneventful but thanks for reading and sorry if you got bored.
Cheers
Steve

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Now before Iget into this, I am thinking some of you may remember that Ihad a session at the beginning of January and posted up a report which lacked any bass in it.
You are quite correct but if you remember I caught that tennis ball sized sea urchin and its adjoining rock therefore avoiding the blank.......
Anyyhow....
Had today booked off for a few weeks as using up holiday before Ifinish my current job on Friday and the plan was always to get out fishing and see if a Kentish February bass could be on the cards.
As the weather was not good for any form of clarity in the water pretty much anywhere in Kent, I decided that my local backup mark (where Icaught my first Bass) was on the cards.
Turned up in time to start fishing at 11:30 till 3:30 and was happy to see mullet swimming in the tea colour water. There was only around 6" visibility but as Shaun recently pointed out, im new to this and still over eager(and therefore fish when I should go home and blank).
I fished the whole session without the sign of a bass but did get a good go on my new rarenium and ballistic pairing which Imust admit is a dream compared to my old setup.
I went through lures of all depths both soft and hard, surface and sub, but it was just not to be.
Idid however find that certain lures of mine have been given a new lease of life by my new outfit and both cast and perform better than they used to.
Would also like to mention that I tested out my Duo Spearhead Ryuki 80s today which I think is a treat of a lure. Its a sinking lure that has a nice and subtle (glass sounding) rattle and vibrates better than the zonk (more like the tight wobble of an x-rap). I was fishing it in very shallow water but was able to maintain a suitable depth and think as a halfway between jerk baits and vib lures its a nice addition to the tackle box.
Also tested out my "brat pack" lure from Hennie and will confirm it flies like its possessed. Gathered a lot of loose weed and grass so cant comment further yet but hope to soon with a fish attached to it on a photo.
Not worth talking about the rest of the session as it was quite uneventful but thanks for reading and sorry if you got bored.
Cheers
Steve
How did u get on with the rod and reel Steve
Still think it's a bit early mate
End of March I'll be looking
Depending on sea temps and weather
Bazz

Reactions: sawnee and Repro

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Steve,
Sounds like a great 'gear testing' sesh..... time never wasted imho :)
You learned a lot more about your venue, your gear, your lures today today ..
... more I reckon than if you'd been smashed by a bass every few mins !

It'll all stand you in good stead when those spikeys start to show amongst those mullet!;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How did u get on with the rod and reel Steve
Still think it's a bit early mate
End of March I'll be looking
Depending on sea temps and weather
Bazz
Awesome bits of kit Bazz, both a completely different class to what I'm used to.
I agree with you on when it's likely to kick off but I have been walking the dogs around this mark and seeing the signs of the odd estuary bass in with the mullet and was hoping they would still be there today.

Reactions: andy barmby

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve,
Sounds like a great 'gear testing' sesh..... time never wasted imho :)
You learned a lot more about your venue, your gear, your lures today today ..
... more I reckon than if you'd been smashed by a bass every few mins !

It'll all stand you in good stead when those spikeys start to show amongst those mullet!;)
Couldn't agree more Chris, great testing the new outfit and a couple of new lures and great confidence builder in lures that my old rod didn't like.
As you say, I learned a lot more about the mark and can try to apply the knowledge when the bass turn up.

I don't mind blanking as the fishing is what I'm there for and catching is a bonus

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
its allways better out fishing than working steve even if the fish dont
take time out from there parential instincts .
i even had a look at the sea today myself , i normaly look every morning before work .
in the spring onwards ,but it,s first time ive been to have a look at conditions
this year .mind i knew it was no good to go though .
i think you will enjoy your season even more this year to steve better set up and more knowledge to use now .
i look forward to see how you get on

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its allways better out fishing than working steve even if the fish dont
take time out from there parential instincts .
i even had a look at the sea today myself , i normaly look every morning before work .
in the spring onwards ,but it,s first time ive been to have a look at conditions
this year .mind i knew it was no good to go though .
i think you will enjoy your season even more this year to steve better set up and more knowledge to use now .
i look forward to see how you get on
Cheers Andy, I hope to give it a much better go this season and hope your right.
As you say, 1000 times the day I would have had at work

Reactions: andy barmby

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
A shame you never found a spikey but those mullet need to be afraid!!
This year we will give them a good hammering when the coast is too dirty.
I'm building another rod just for the job (dirty bait type rod sorry) and we will get set up for a bit of fluff chucking too
Get your feet under the table at the New job and we will be after those thick lips ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm building another rod just for the job (dirty bait type rod sorry) and we will get set up for a bit of fluff chucking too
Get your feet under the table at the New job and we will be after those thick lips ;)
Sounds like a plan, do quite like the idea of learning the fly and targeting mullet when the bass fishing is off

Reactions: sawnee

·
13,191 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
13,191 Posts
Sounds like a plan, do quite like the idea of learning the fly and targeting mullet when the bass fishing is off
Can't teach u on mullet smelly things
But the fly I can do
But if I teach you that u could become a lost cause
As mullet are easy pmsl

Reactions: swansea Jack

·
13,191 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Hard line's mate, good gear testing session though, I had several of those the beginning of last season and the end lol. Definitely a bit early down here water resemble bournvile chocolate at the mo.

Reactions: Repro

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
Don't panic baz :)
The mullet are only a distraction when the coast is too dirty, as Steve has said "there are bass amongst the mullet" ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hard line's mate, good gear testing session though, I had several of those the beginning of last season and the end lol. Definitely a bit early down here water resemble bournvile chocolate at the mo.
Ours is more builders tea

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,571 Posts
Well done Steve...you got out there and gave it a go.

And with the Yammy and Rarenium to get used to.

Sometimes just being there can be fantastic....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts