World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I thought i'd try and get out for my first trip before the winds got here. Got to the mooring at 06:45 loaded the boat up and off we went. After 30 mins of motoring we were at a mark off eastney with plaice as our target.
Anchored up and fished rag tipped with squid and limpet.
After an hour the tide turned and our stern was face onto the wind...most uncomfortable.
Just after H/W we'd had enough of bouncing around so i said to my bro a quick cuppa and we'll try drifting. With that bounce bounce went my bro's rod which ended up with a nice plaice about 1 1/2lb. 3 mins later mine went and resulted in another 1 1/2lb-er.
Decided to stay there for a while but nothing, moved to another 2 marks but still nothing. With that someone decided to turn 'the fan' on and it kicked up to a F6 abit ealrier than expected (very supprised with how the boat handled it, oh 17' shetland 535). After a slow and VERY wet trip back to the mooring we dried off, cleaned her down and home for a beer and a curry.
Not the best maiden voyage but it could've been alot worse.
Fish caught, boat dont sink and engine running sweet as!!
Looking forward to many trips to come.
Arron

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hi all, I thought i'd try and get out for my first trip before the winds got here. Got to the mooring at 06:45 loaded the boat up and off we went. After 30 mins of motoring we were at a mark off eastney with plaice as our target.
Anchored up and fished rag tipped with squid and limpet.
After an hour the tide turned and our stern was face onto the wind...most uncomfortable.
Just after H/W we'd had enough of bouncing around so i said to my bro a quick cuppa and we'll try drifting. With that bounce bounce went my bro's rod which ended up with a nice plaice about 1 1/2lb. 3 mins later mine went and resulted in another 1 1/2lb-er.
Decided to stay there for a while but nothing, moved to another 2 marks but still nothing. With that someone decided to turn 'the fan' on and it kicked up to a F6 abit ealrier than expected (very supprised with how the boat handled it, oh 17' shetland 535). After a slow and VERY wet trip back to the mooring we dried off, cleaned her down and home for a beer and a curry.
Not the best maiden voyage but it could've been alot worse.
Fish caught, boat dont sink and engine running sweet as!!
Looking forward to many trips to come.
Arron[/QUOTEwell done m8 at least you caught fish,and the biggest bonus at the end of a days fishing getting back in safe and sound finished of with beer and curry cant be bad:)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Arron you did 'perfik' mate. Particularly the trip back, nice and steady slowly does it, no panic, and using your head.

Well done.

Afishionado

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Great report Arron. Glad you caught as well, somehow even one plaice makes all that effort more enjoyable!

G

·
Nie pic shonzy.
I can see exactly where you were fishing from that!!!
It is almost the very spot that I used to pull them up from some 25 years ago with my uncle.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Nie pic shonzy.
I can see exactly where you were fishing from that!!!
It is almost the very spot that I used to pull them up from some 25 years ago with my uncle.
brings back many happy memorys of a misspent youth pottering about on my old 16ft dory, it was one hell of a long ride getting there as the boat was moored off hampers yard marina in fareham creek !!, but the fishing was well worth it, best plaice i had was 4 1/4 lb and was no doubt the best looking fish i have caught to date.
nice fish mate

krysb

G

·
Krysb
I have to agree, I don't know what it is about Plaice, but there is somethign really nice about a beautiful, fresh, shiney skinned spotty that beats almost any other fish.
Tom

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
tom
its just a shame we cant seem to find many where we are in lincs / yorkshire areas.
i think they are about, but its just persuading people that there MAY be another option apart from the ling & cod.
are ther many plaice showing off the south coast banks at the moment as im hoping to get a weekend back down home soon, or are they few and far between and showing the same profile as a razor blade?
krys

G

·
I had the option last week of going for them, but they will still have been very skinny.

I am having a proper go on Good Friday from Weymouth, but the fishing is a lot harder than it was back in the 90's and before.
Down here we do have a couple of "new" marks that we are experimenting with. They should be in locations that the commercials simply can't get to as no sooner do the Plaice arrive on the banks than there are several trawlers wipeing them out in a matter of days.

Tom

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
They should be in locations that the commercials simply can't get to as no sooner do the Plaice arrive on the banks than there are several trawlers wipeing them out in a matter of days.

Tom[/QUOTE]

i know what you mean by that one, many a day spent sitting off the blocks/ banks surrounded by trawlers, some within spitting distance,
it didnt even get a rest overnight, as they came well inside the limits towing their gear, c/w no lights!! only to reappear 1 mile off with all lights blazing when hauling time came.
when there was no fish left on those areas, we just had to make do with fishing in portsmouth harbour on the old admiralty bouys off hardway.
you didnt very often go wrong there.

krys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts