World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught my first fish...........but it was either a weaver fish or a gobey but i didnt un hook as i didnt want to kill it , i thought i wudve killed it cos it was my fisrt time unhhoking a fish yer ne wayz how do u unhook a fish wiv out hurting them or damaging them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the best thing would be for you to fish with a more experienced angler who can show you the ropes, maybe join a club.

If you hook a fish in the lips or jaw take a firm hold of the hook and withdraw the point the way it has gone in.

If it is deep hooked or the hook has gone through bone, it can be a lot more tricky and experience will teach you whether to try and withdraw the hook or cut the point off the hook.

If your not planning on keeping your catch, use a file to take the barb off the hook. You will lose some fish on the retrieve but it makes unhooking a lot easier.

Finally, learn to recognise weaver, they have a barb on their back that is poisonous and cause discomfort and on rare occasions people have died from their sting. A generous sized towell is needed to protect your hands.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rite so what are the distinguishing features of a weever,
if i ever do catch one i will definately kill it lol im gona try and not kill ne fish when im fishing bcos my mum doesnt like it and there is no point if u aint allowed to take them home

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please don't kill the dreaded weaver,even something like this has a place in nature,i once heard stories of arse***** cutting the tails of sting-rays before putting them back,the knack here is to learn how to handle fish properly. :mad:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Look under fishing tips on the left hand side of the page there is an article on treating weever fish stings complete with a picture

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry m8 its just dat i really dont want to cathc one what do i do though if i want to hold it will i get stung, plus could u get stung if u wear gloves

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
If you don't want to touch the thing-and personally I don't blame you then cut your line as close to the fish as poss and let it drop back into the water

·
Registered
8 Posts
The advice above is best - find out before you go. But If you are not sure of the fish you have caught, try my method (I'm sure i'm not alone)...

This can work with plenty of fish - inc Huss/doggies, which can cause small cuts on your hand/arm as they writhe about, Bass with seemingly spines all over, even Ray etc, not to mention our weaver fiend... Try lowering your catch onto an old damp hand towel, it is easy to wrap it up and you just hold the spare (quite tightly) with a slight pressure on the ground, I have found that you don’t lose grip of the fish (and drop it! - which can’t be good), you maintain much more control, with a little practice its easy - mine seem to go back OK, that don’t end up on the plate anyway :)
I cant see how the spines of anything can touch you.
Not rocket science but it works until you know more about your quarry, and that towel will come in handy all night – Stinks the day after though so stick it with your rods under the hose after fishing trip. (And don’t let the missus find it as it _will_ go missing! – lost a few like that)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a good pair of pliers will also help,hold the fish by the line(3-4 inches)grip the hook by the shank and shake like your having a ****! works for me.!! :D :D :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol when i caught that fish yesterday i had so much adrenaline

1 - 11 of 11 Posts