World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just caught my first live prawns, cant beleive how easy it was, they just went into the trap while I had a pint across the road! 4 in an hour about 3" long so can't wait to see how many there are in the morning assuming trap hasn't washed away.
was just wondering how well they stay on the hook and how far they will cast before falling apart. Also for bass would I do better using them under a float or on the bottom tomorrow night in a river? am I right in thinking its best to hook through the tail?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Hi all
just caught my first live prawns, cant beleive how easy it was, they just went into the trap while I had a pint across the road! 4 in an hour about 3" long so can't wait to see how many there are in the morning assuming trap hasn't washed away.
was just wondering how well they stay on the hook and how far they will cast before falling apart. Also for bass would I do better using them under a float or on the bottom tomorrow night in a river? am I right in thinking its best to hook through the tail?
Funnily enough the prawn fishing has just switched on along our patch of coast. If you are fishing clear water, I would suggest the bass will take them more readily on the move, under a float. But when the water is clear, bass are at their most cautious, so to get a result you have to go a bit further than if you were fishing for mackerel.
Time for a mental picture.
Clear or natural mainline, thread on a bead. Thread on a float. I like to use heavy floats, as it gives you the option of casting harder, and maintaining excellent control even in a swell or headwind. I use 1.5oz floats. Next thread on a bead, and tie off to a swivel. Now attach four feet of 20lb fleurocarbon. THread on a 1.5oz egg, then a bead, then tie off to another swivel. Now tie on a three foot hooklink, again 20lb fleurocarbon. Now tie on a small but strong hook. I LOVE the Mustad Big Gun in size 4 for large prawns. Tie your stopknot above the top bead according to the depth you want to fish. You will need a twelve foot rod to cast this set up. This rig prevents the annoying wrap around the float you often get with the standard "magazine" float rig. For best results, trot the float and control it so that it goes down tide ever so slower than the tidal pace. Just like stick float fishing in a river.
Enjoy. Its ever so exciting!!

P.s. How many did you end up with?

·
TEAM FORESHORE
1,793 Posts
Hi all
you should get more than that mate.... use a shopping basket lined with scaffold netting and rope for dropping it in and cable tie a makeral in it but squish the mackeral with your foot whilst secured then lower it down .... leave it for 20 mins max as they get full and bu gger off... this method gets me about 10-20 a drop ...hope this helps tight uns ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Rob there were only four more (8 in all) not a huge amount but enough to try. I scaled down your set up and with river running at a couple of knots three hours before high water was hopful,but nothing at all. maybe due to going towards neaps?

Ryan, thats sounds much more effecient but i cant find enough weed,
only 10 inches or so under floating pontoons but i will keep looking,are you going down the side of weed covered walls?

·
TEAM FORESHORE
1,793 Posts
Thanks guys

Rob there were only four more (8 in all) not a huge amount but enough to try. I scaled down your set up and with river running at a couple of knots three hours before high water was hopful,but nothing at all. maybe due to going towards neaps?

Ryan, thats sounds much more effecient but i cant find enough weed,
only 10 inches or so under floating pontoons but i will keep looking,are you going down the side of weed covered walls?
i drop mine down the side of a boat slip..theres a little bit of weed but not alot... you tend to catch more prawns sep and october time bud as thats when their peak time is and more of them .. tight uns ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.