World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Is Chesil Beach overrated ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I wondered should I write this report or not because this happened two months ago but decided to do it anyway. Ordered one pound of blow lugs from Abbotsbury Fishing Tackle on Monday for weekend fishing session. Collected bait around 11 am on Saturday and what surprised me how big, lively and fresh they were. I also bought a box of calamari squid and head up on the beach. Plan was to catch Cod or sea Bass. Arrived to Chesil beach car park, bough 2x parking tickets from beach cafe, planned to stay overnight until Sunday evening. Unloaded all my fishing gear from my van and placed them on trolley but after few minutes realized I carry too much gear, my trolley couldn’t get through sinking in the stones. I couldn’t even get to the top of the shingle. Went back to my van to take only minimum I may need. Before leaving the car park I had a word with local angled who caught 2lbs codling at 5 am. Climbed up on top of the shingle and to my eyes appeared curved nice looking huge beach on which every spot was looking fishable with so many anglers to my left and right I never seen on any beach before. NICE. Went to the east of car park towards dragon’s teeth, I read this is best fishing deep area. After 45 min walk, 10 stops, 5 almost heart attacks (was still carrying too much gear) I found a spot 10 meters away from the dragon’s teeth. I could finally start fishing. Set up my tent, rod rest and started to bait my first rod, used 2 hook flapper with blow lugs on each hook. Walked down the shingle to cast further than I could from the top, walked back up to place my rod on the tripod. Started setting up my second rod but couldn’t complete as 5 minutes later had a first bite. First fish: small pout.
DSC_1683.JPG

Recast first rod and continued on second rod but yet again couldn’t finish as 5 minutes later had another bite, 34 cm whiting this time.
DSC_1684.JPG
Abandoned to set up my second rod and fished on one rod only. The same thing happened every 5-10 mins for 2 hours resulted in 4 pout and 7 whiting.
Tired after walking up and down the shingle I gave up and changed my tactics to up and over pulley pennel rigs on both rods finally. Bait used was blow lugs wrapped in squid. I could finally have some rest and wait for big fish to arrive. Around 1 hours later after rigs change left rod tip started to rattle. Started to reel in, fish gives good fight and feels heavy, this resulted in 70cm long 2,64 lbs smooth-hound.
DSC_1686.JPG DSC_1687.JPG DSC_1688.JPG
Another few hours was a fight with crabs stripping my bait to bare hook giving fish no chance to find my bait. When Crabs disappeared fish started to come to play again, caught one more smooth-hound the same size but 2.83 lbs and three 50cm long dogfish.
DSC_1689.JPG DSC_1690.JPG DSC_1692.JPG DSC_1694.JPG DSC_1693.JPG

I was hoping to catch any Codling but none was about, giving me hopes for next time. After sleepless and chilly night started at 6 am to pack up and head up back to my van to have 2 hours sleep before driving back home.
I was just about to leave the car park when was approached by local angler telling me his thoughts about this beach, best spots, etc. but also said that this beach is highly overrated by many.
Overrated or not I did enjoy fishing there and will be back on 11th of January if weather is good.
Thanks for reading my post, tight lines.
All fish were returned alive.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Great post WA really good read, 45 minutes to reach the Dragons Teeth! Did you park at Cogdon :BigGrin:
In my opinion Chesil is not over rated. It’s an amazing beautiful place that can and does throw up the fish of a life time.
Even when I’ve not caught much I still enjoy my time on that beach, for those that think it’s over rated come and fish the Solent for Cod lol

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
lots of different anglers fish this beach with many different expectations & perspectives , I would not say it is overrated, i've fished it for 40 odd years, sometimes I've overrated my abillitys, others ive overrated the suitability of the conditions to produce fish, often I've felt cheated because everything feels right but there were few fish about, occasionally ive been completely hacked off due to finding no fish at all. chances are improved by research- when/where/what baits. and putting the rod/hours in to improve law of averages. outside of this its just pure luck. sometimes she smiles, others she ignores you. thanks for your report and im glad you enjoyed the trip, interesting read interspersed with pics. good luck on the 11th.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’ve fished Chesil a lot more this last two years as working nearer than before , I fish it probably once if not twice a week and I still get surprises from this beach every time I go , when you think the fish won’t play they turn up , then when you think it looks extremely fishy nothing turns up , that’s Chesil beach lol , and just for next time you walk to dragons teeth , if you walk down behind the shingle bank , there’s a solid path that leads all the way up to the teeth , only takes 10-15 minutes to walk ! Best of luck next time mate , great report

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I only get the chance to fish it a few times a year, mainly in the autumn for Cod and I think the fishing is getting worse as it is everywhere in the South, the same goes for the boat fishing, there are still far too many fish ending up in a trawlers net and it needs to be stopped, that said whether I'm beach fishing or fishing from my boat I enjoy my day out and fish are fast becoming a bonus :thumbsup:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Didn’t get your codling mate but still a good report u done better than my mate the other night it’s even worse when u blank

·
Registered
432 Posts
Cracking read well done, chesil as stated has great days and days you decide you would be better on a look lake!
I have experience both many times and am in no doubt keep trying and it will reward you, you just have to get lucky on the day with the right bait and you will get your fish.
May see you on the 11th enjoy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Chesil is NOT overated just like any other mark you have to get to know it or put the hours in. Also its like ladye bay near me ... there will always be good catch reports because of the numbers of rods out there each day.
I don't profess to know chesil but it's one place that excites me. If you were to fish it 7 days on the trot in the right conditions you'll have one or maybe 2 good days.
Its not a computer game where you know there will be loads of zombies to kill whatever ... you're now dealing with wild creatures!!
Musky
PS remember the guys that get the consistently good results put the hours in!!

·
Registered
15,336 Posts
Chesil is NOT overated just like any other mark you have to get to know it or put the hours in. Also its like ladye bay near me ... there will always be good catch reports because of the numbers of rods out there each day.
I don't profess to know chesil but it's one place that excites me. If you were to fish it 7 days on the trot in the right conditions you'll have one or maybe 2 good days.
Its not a computer game where you know there will be loads of zombies to kill whatever ... you're now dealing with wild creatures!!
Musky
PS remember the guys that get the consistently good results put the hours in!!
There are loads of zombies - they’re clustered around the car parks!
:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I’ve fished Chesil a lot more this last two years as working nearer than before , I fish it probably once if not twice a week and I still get surprises from this beach every time I go , when you think the fish won’t play they turn up , then when you think it looks extremely fishy nothing turns up , that’s Chesil beach lol , and just for next time you walk to dragons teeth , if you walk down behind the shingle bank , there’s a solid path that leads all the way up to the teeth , only takes 10-15 minutes to walk ! Best of luck next time mate , great report
I saw that path on my way back to car park. I thought it ends by the bushes. will definitely use it next time. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
If your prepared to do the long walks and put in long sessions then Chesil will reward you but it will also kick you when you're down. I rarely fish hooks smaller than 2/0 and rarely use worm. My fishing is for big fish or nothing. Rays, Congers and Big Cod are what get me exited.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts