World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished whiteford lighthouse, and the adjacent pill today. hour walk, to be greeted by this:

as daihook already mentioned in his earlier report, the mussel brigade were out in force.
travelled supposedly "light" today with a spinning rod and no rod rest. :crazy: caught a pre-school bass early on which gave a scrap on my micro tackle. safely unhooked and returned. no photo sorry. my camera was in my rucksack and i couldn't be bothered to get back to the shore and get it out.
moved back to the lighthose for a short while as the tide came screaming in:

cast into a deep gulley about 5 yards out and something kept knicking my bait immediately. :bounce: got cheesed off with wading in the gulleys, constantly stumbling as i went. :hammer:
so moved back around the pill for a few hours. not a sniff. and the wind was horrendous. must have been 30 mph. the waves were fun though:

rough as!
i've walked at least 6 miles today, and my rucksack remained on my back for over 7 hours! :wheelchai every part of me is aching. :cry: my waders don't work 'cause my trousers were soaked. drove home in just me undies!
might not go there for a while...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm now troubled with the image of you in your bundies Steve...and it's not nice!

Great report and pics and at least you avoided the blank.

I haven't found Whitford anywhere near as productive this year but it's still my favourite spot.

I can't get over the industrial scale of the mussel gathering you show in your first pic and which seems now to be a regular feature. What should be a spledidly isolated beach in a National Park was like a busy road on Sunday. The JCBs were loading dozens and dozens of jumbo bags onto trailers, each full of mussels, and whizzing them off the beach. The army of rakers seemed to turn up in a collection of clapped out cars and 4WDs. I don't think cockling is allowed on Sundays but it looks like open season on the mussels.

Now I like a good mussel to eat, but these aren't the smooth rope-grown sort. They are small and covered in barnacles and clearly unmarketable as they are. Makes me wonder what they are being used for? Growing on? Seeding elsewhere? Fertilizer? And heaven knows what damage the multi ton plant is doing as it drives over the rocks time and time again. It's really sad and I can't believe it can be licensed on that scale - if it is, the world has gone mad.

Well done again on the report anyway.

Cheers

DH

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm now troubled with the image of you in your bundies Steve...and it's not nice!

Great report and pics and at least you avoided the blank.

I haven't found Whitford anywhere near as productive this year but it's still my favourite spot.

I can't get over the industrial scale of the mussel gathering you show in your first pic and which seems now to be a regular feature. What should be a spledidly isolated beach in a National Park was like a busy road on Sunday. The JCBs were loading dozens and dozens of jumbo bags onto trailers, each full of mussels, and whizzing them off the beach. The army of rakers seemed to turn up in a collection of clapped out cars and 4WDs. I don't think cockling is allowed on Sundays but it looks like open season on the mussels.

Now I like a good mussel to eat, but these aren't the smooth rope-grown sort. They are small and covered in barnacles and clearly unmarketable as they are. Makes me wonder what they are being used for? Growing on? Seeding elsewhere? Fertilizer? And heaven knows what damage the multi ton plant is doing as it drives over the rocks time and time again. It's really sad and I can't believe it can be licensed on that scale - if it is, the world has gone mad.

Well done again on the report anyway.

Cheers

DH
i don't understand how they can be gathered anyway. there's a notice at the start of the beach saying there are high levels of toxins in them!

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
first of all,would like to say well done on the flounder.

secondly,is this even legal the quantities of mussel being removed.also,did'nt think vehicles were allowed on the beach.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first of all,would like to say well done on the flounder.

secondly,is this even legal the quantities of mussel being removed.also,did'nt think vehicles were allowed on the beach.
pat attention, al! it was a bass lol!
how do we find out if what is going on there legal?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It should be regulated by the South Wales Sea Fisheries Committee.:busted_co
Contact them on Tel (01792) 654466.

http://www.swsfc.org.uk/home.htm

Let us know what they say.
Saved you a job. I have rung them, they are fully aware of what is happening and apparently have the situation under 'control'. They have issued several permits vehicle and picking for the collection of the mussels. All the mucssels collected are to be relocated.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for that, dave. why would they want to relocate mussels?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
thanks for that, dave. why would they want to relocate mussels?
Some effort on aquaculture I presume. Take a small mussel (seeds) move them to deeper water with more food (sow) wait a while for them to get fat, harvest them and sell them to Tesco!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry to keep harping on here. but do you think the lack of fish (bass and flounder) might be the shedloads of rain we've had recently? (well not recently, but the last 5 weeks!) never faired so badly at this mark in the past, you see. and it is an estuary.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
sorry to keep harping on here. but do you think the lack of fish (bass and flounder) might be the shedloads of rain we've had recently? (well not recently, but the last 5 weeks!) never faired so badly at this mark in the past, you see. and it is an estuary.
Yes, is the short answer, but also the disturbance caused by these pickers could have an impact?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
big pat on the back for effort and think of all them calories you burned off!!! you not so fat , fat git!!!!..lol

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
big pat on the back for effort and think of all them calories you burned off!!! you not so fat , fat git!!!!..lol
hey KOL. long time - no hear! nice you can come back and slag me off haha!! seriously, if i was overweight, i would be well on the way to losing a stone. and the straps of my ruckie would not have cut into the bone like it did!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, is the short answer, but also the disturbance caused by these pickers could have an impact?
thanks Roger-Reg. i would be inclined to think that all those mussels being squashed under such heavy machinery would actually bring the fish in. so it might pick up there soon!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
hey KOL. long time - no hear! nice you can come back and slag me off haha!! seriously, if i was overweight, i would be well on the way to losing a stone. and the straps of my ruckie would not have cut into the bone like it did!
you know yer not meant to wear yer rucksack around yer waste!!!!!!
he'he!:bounce:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts