World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, here is my new project that I thought i'd share from the start.
I'm planning on this being the last one I do as i'm getting on now (but I did say "no more" after finishing the last one :BigGrin:).
Also i'm hoping that as I go on with it and start asking (probably) silly questions you can guide me in the right direction as I don't want to get it wrong :thumbsdown:

I'm hoping to acquire something around the 90 hp to go on here, depending on what's available at the time I have the funds (hoping for no more than about £1500 - £2000).

This "U" piece is going to be cut out and a piece of stainless tube of the same diameter going to be put back in. This will make room for a decent bow roller.

One of the gel-coat blisters I have to grind out and re-fill, there are a few others (not many tho).

This is the "net bar" or whatever it's called (the previous owner was a commercial fisherman).
This will go (probably on ebay lol).

The steering is going to be put port side, the cuddy is going to be raised to head height (approx 1.5' higher) and lengthened just enough to position the seats under shelter.
Also going to add side rails to make it feel "safer".

I'm hoping to put an underfloor fuel tank in as there is no splash well to hide plastic tanks under, and I will have to work out where the batteries will be going too (perhaps someone could offer advise on that please :smile2:)
There is lots of other "stuff" that will need doing and it's going to keep me busy for a fair while :roflmao:
I think this is going to be fun and I look forward to any comments, thank's for looking :thumbsup:
Dave.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
its got the making of a nice boat.im sure all the work will be worth ias you will have it just how you need it. good luck with your project. and keep us informed of the progress.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I bet that is a sturdy boat! A bit of work needed to tidy up the lash-up GRP work the last owner did though! Can't comment on the battery position because the only photo not posted was one inside looking astern. As near as possible to the starter motor, bearing in mind you also want to balance the weight fore and aft. Otherwise you will need very heavy cables running from the battery which is expensive and will need a conduit to keep them out of trouble. Looking forward to the story!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments back lash & Salar :cool2:
A bit of work needed to tidy up the lash-up GRP work the last owner did though!
Yes I agree lol, it was work the owner before the person I bought the boat from had done.
That will all be addressed as I will be re-painting the hull and top-sides (whole boat was painted VERY badly in the grey and the photo's just don't show how bad it is).
That brings up a question tho, i've not had a painted boat before (all been gel-coat) and don't know what it was painted with, so what would you remove the paint with ?? Mechanical ?- chemical ?
And what is the best paint for the hull and then the topsides ? Any info welcome :thumbsup:
He did tell me that the owner before him was running a 115 hp on that pod so should take anything I put on it after I add more glass :p
Can't comment on the battery position because the only photo not posted was one inside looking astern. As near as possible to the starter motor, bearing in mind you also want to balance the weight fore and aft. Otherwise you will need very heavy cables running from the battery which is expensive and will need a conduit to keep them out of trouble. Looking forward to the story!
Sorry about no pic of that area (I forgot that one), i'll do one and add it to the thread.
Electrics is probably one of my worst subjects unfortunately (I could probably blow the fuse's in the house just by changing a plug :laugh:) so any advise once I start will be welcome :thumbsup:
Can't start it at the moment tho as I spent up for the moment buying it :)
Dave.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I see quite a few boats being advertised as Taskforce Q18s and suchlike but from memory Q boats were built by a company called Q Boats International. Taskforce made a similar 18 footer called a TF550. Yours does look to be a Q18 rather than a TF550 as it has the strake on the centre part of the hull which the Taskforce boat does not. A nice reminder of the 1980s when there were many different dories in production.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Ian sea, I will try and look into that :thumbsup:
Now the question I have at the moment is ....... Do any of you knowledgeable people know what the "U" shaped bit in the bow rail is called and also the "lorry exhaust" looking item is called in the aft of the boat.
Reason is they are coming off and going to be for sale, but need to know what to call them and where to advertise them.
As to how much they may be worth I haven't got a clue :laugh:
The previous owner said the one aft was used for netting, but I don't have a clue.
Any help appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
the pipes on the back are called trunks. they are used for the self draining decks.they are tied up when not moving and let down when on the move to drain the decks.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
the pipes on the back are called trunks. they are used for the self draining decks.they are tied up when not moving and let down when on the move to drain the decks.
I think he means the net guides on the railings front and back. That's what they are but I don't know any fishy names for them sorry.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think he means the net guides on the railings front and back. That's what they are but I don't know any fishy names for them sorry.
Thanks you two and yes I knew about the "Elephant trunks" :)
I have talked to the previous owner now and he told me that the one on the front is called bull horns and the rear one is a shooting bar (the front "U" piece will be cut off and then the bow rail will be joined along the top, saves buying a new one).
Not sure where the best place is to try and sell them (any suggestions), hopefully will generate some funds to continue the boat with :BigGrin:
I think after reading another post on here I am going to paint the hull with a decent two pack paint, probably Jotun or something (unless any one can recommend anything else).

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Can't comment on the battery position because the only photo not posted was one inside looking astern. As near as possible to the starter motor, bearing in mind you also want to balance the weight fore and aft. Otherwise you will need very heavy cables running from the battery which is expensive and will need a conduit to keep them out of trouble. Looking forward to the story!
Hi all, as Salar has said I didn't include a pic of the inside back of the boat.
So here it is.
From out the "hatch" in the front over the top of the cuddy (already started ripping out lol).

As you can see there is nowhere to put fuel tanks or battery's as no splash well, so what I think I have decided to do is put a "shelf" across the width to the width of the tanks half way up (so tanks underneath).
Then the battery's can go on the shelf above the tank's, and I will laminate a "lid" to go on top that will probably be the bait table.
This idea gives me room to put other stuff (tubs of weights, knife, T bar ect,ect on the middle shelf as well.
Not sure whether to box it in with doors or just use a heavy canvas type material to "curtain" it off.
The only thing against this idea is it will be a struggle to reach the auxiliary when/if it's needed.
This is not set in stone yet tho and i'm sure some aspects will change as I go.
What do you think ??
I have got to start on the trailer first tho, so all this here is to be done as it comes up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi M, looks like you've got your work cut out!! Good luck, I am just starting my first "project" and will post pics etc just now as the work I have to do looks very similar to a lot of yours(but thankfully mine is a lot smaller!!) so I think we will be asking a lot of the same questions so can hopefully help each other out,

cheers, derod

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi derod, yes I have just posted on yours. Good luck to you too, nice looking little boat :thumbsup:
Just all I can say is "enjoy it" or else it will become a "chore". Meet every challenge individually before moving on to the next and then you will get there ( i've done a few over the years but no expert) :)
This one is going to be my last, that's why I will be asking "lots" of questions as the people on here are very helpful and knowledgeable and I want to get it right :thumbsup:.
And thank's pothunter :cool:, i'm pretty sure it's going to go down the "box" route for the tank's and battery's.
Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks manicdev, I have restored numerous motorbikes, cars, tractors and JCB's etc and as you rightly say, that has become a chore so the boat is to be my "stress-buster"!!

cheers, Roddy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had TF 550 Really good fishing/sea boat ..will try and pull up a picture or two if I can find them. My friend had the Q21 with a full stand -up cabin.. Bl***dy Heavy boat.

Good luck with your project. John

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi all, well just couldn't hold off any longer from this project :BigGrin: , and so I put my old boat on ebay to help fund it (hopefully it will sell) .
I started by taking everything off (bow rail, net bar, aux engine bracket, fender rubber ect) and then set about looking at the "board" that seemed to have been bonded to the inside on top of the transom, and I cut a hole into it to check the ply for rot.
Well the board was not exactly bonded very well to the transom and was quite easy to remove.
Pic shows the left side after removal with the hole I cut to check the ply.

After that I cut the inner skin out exposing the ply and as it's fairly damp and soft and I am able to "peel" the top layers off I have decided to take all the ply out and start again :(.
Probably would be ok once dried and re-bonded but as this is my last one i'm taking no chances and replacing it.
Pic of the transom once the inner skin is removed.
You can see the 18 bolts holding the engine pod on as well in the last pic.

I also cut a small piece out of the floor to check that and see what's under there as I had a sneaking suspicion if was soaking wet foam or full of water or something (the boat is so heavy on the trailer I can not move it by standing on the front of the trailer,releasing a foot of winch strap, and pushing ..... not a chance, not even an inch, so that's something I will have to look into.), but no, it was very badly filled with foam with plenty of "voids".
The old floor is very uneven and when it rained I had a puddle in the middle of the boat, also the floor ply is 3/4 inch thick with about nearly 1/4 inch of resin/matt and then a thick coating of gelcoat with sand mixed in (in my opinion huge overkill, what do you think ?).
So now to add to the "to do" list is a new floor as although it seems solid enough i'm not really happy with it as there is a lot of weight there that can be reduced by replacing it.
The floor is set about 4 inches up off the bottom of the hull so probably will put it back lowering it to the hull.
That will make for a higher freeboard when in the boat, and in doing so will feel safer.
Would you say this is a good idea, or is there a reason for the floor to be at least 4" up off the hull ?.
Any comment's welcome to keep me on the right track
I will add pics of when I have the floor out soon as starting it tomorrow.
Dave

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi all, just a quick update.
I now have most of the floor up and it turns out that "one" of the previous owners must have cut out the floor but couldn't be bothered to take it all the way back to the sides (left about 3" all the way round).
Then he put strips of ply on all the bearers to level (sort of) and put 25 mm ply straight on top of the remains of the old floor still left in :eeks:
This made it hard work to remove but nearly there now.
The transom at the bottom had a glassed in strip (in the pic below) for the floor and when I removed this it was foam filled and that was soaking. Hence that bit of ply is ruined/rotting so my thoughts of replacing it is confirmed :)

And the bearers are another thing I have never come across before.
They are "glassed in foam with a strip of ply to which the floor was screwed, so all this is going to come out and new ply bearers are going to be glassed in.

Have any one seen this type of construction before ??? I haven't :confused:
Question, would you say that two sheets of 18 mm marine ply bonded together would be ok for the transom, and would you put 9 mm or 12 mm ply down for the floor.
All responses welcome :)
Oh well, the sun's shining so back out to it to continue ripping out :D
Dave

1 - 20 of 312 Posts