World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing rod that is ! New rod bought by my wife stuck fast on my first trip at the weekend. Any advice how to unstick it, I've tried WD40 and two big strong friends but no luck yet.

I needs it again on Friday so any advice would really be appreciated.

Cheers
MG :g:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi immortal,

I take it you mean tip section into the butt, if so pack frozen pea's or a similar item around the lower end of the tip section, this will shrink it enough to pull it apart( might take about 30 mins though)

Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hi mate, if you read the thread (help) on the general forum it seems the only way to go is borrow the missus frozen veg and place around the joint give it a while and it will come apart.
GeorgeM

·
Registered
252 Posts
it happened to me the day mate.
wrap a bag of frozen food round the joint and sello tape, leave for 10 mins then pull apart.

place the butt between your knees and twist and pull. it worked for me

best wishes
fluffy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
better go and find the frozen veg then ! She's agreed to come along if I can fix this one !

I'll let you know tomorrow

MG:clap2:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Fishing rod that is ! New rod bought by my wife stuck fast on my first trip at the weekend. Any advice how to unstick it, I've tried WD40 and two big strong friends but no luck yet.

Cheers
Rubber gloves as well as the cold peas to get a good grip of it.

Try also to get a friend to put one hand above and one below the joint. You do the same then pull. This keeps the rod straight. Some times if you just hold on to either side and pull it bends the rod making it harder to get a straight pull.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When you have it apart, go to an auto shop and get a few sheet s of 1200 grit wet/dry paper, wet it using wash up liquid and some water, and sand the male section down, taking care to sand evenly all around so you have no high spots, let it dry and put it together again, it should be reasonably tight (do it lightly each time so as not to take off too much) then get a 4B pencil, and rub the graphite all over the spigot, this will lubricate it, and it will never stick again.
Dave

·
Banned
820 Posts
When you have it apart, go to an auto shop and get a few sheet s of 1200 grit wet/dry paper, wet it using wash up liquid and some water, and sand the male section down, taking care to sand evenly all around so you have no high spots, let it dry and put it together again, it should be reasonably tight (do it lightly each time so as not to take off too much) then get a 4B pencil, and rub the graphite all over the spigot, this will lubricate it, and it will never stick again.
Dave
Ehhh!!! Be carefull make sure you know what you are doing here! Not something as a rodmaker I would advise.

Just don't put the rod together so hard in the future and use candle wax is a as a joint lubricant on the male end. If it does stick in the future hot water will soften or melt it to get it apart easily.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Have also found that taking the rubber bung off the butt of the rod and with your palm flat against it hit it a couple of times. This only works if you didn't have to grolly it in in the first place. Then the candle wax trick works a treat.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been building rods for 15 yrs, and the candle wax trick should, in my opinion, only be used for taking up the slack on a old spigot which is a bit loose, and it does work a treat.
if you have a new rod which is very tight, and you put candle wax on the male part of the spigot, you won't even be able to put the rod together. thats why i suggested very carefully sanding down the spigot and using soft graphite to lubricate it.
I actually rub all my spigots with a 4 or 6B pencil just to make life a whole lot easier.
If you were to return the rod to the manufacturer to fix it, they would sand down the spigot as well.
again just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Cheers

2 pairs of stilson,s should do the trick

"hope this helps":notworthy

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well all these advises are very usefull but it didn't help me a bit when I had my 5m beachcaster stuck! try to get that home to get the frozen peas around the joints.....

:hammer:

jan

·
Banned
820 Posts
Well all these advises are very usefull but it didn't help me a bit when I had my 5m beachcaster stuck! try to get that home to get the frozen peas around the joints.....

:hammer:

jan
I sympathise. I have had embarressed customers drive all the way from the north of Scotland to my workshop with 15ft salmon fly rods stuck out of the back window several times!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I sympathise. I have had embarressed customers drive all the way from the north of Scotland to my workshop with 15ft salmon fly rods stuck out of the back window several times!

thanks for the sympathy. I was actually joking. I always wax my new rods before use and never had real problems. but I just thought it was funny to hear all these comments on how to solve the problem at home...

jan

·
Banned
820 Posts
thanks for the sympathy. I was actually joking. I always wax my new rods before use and never had real problems. but I just thought it was funny to hear all these comments on how to solve the problem at home...

jan
Well when its stuck its stuck! Not a lot you can do if it happens on the beach and you can't get it apart except bring it home eh?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts