World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only a mile from my house is a mark that can throw out some clonking flounders, especially during the summer months when the crabs are peeling and the sun is cracking the pavements. Tonight we had a good go at the N.E.T.M. record flounder which stands at 1lb 11 ounces and which was also caught from the Tyne.
N.E.T.M flounder record

Flounder fishing in the River Tyne is just kicking off, things should hot up soon.:)

Church bank, Hebburn, a good flounder mark and safe if you wish to take the kids.

For these fish at this time of year only one bait will do and that is of course peeler crab, any other bait will soon be stripped clean by the numerous crabs that inhabit the Tyne.
As it's just the start of the summer floundering in the Tyne things tonight were a bit slow but this will improve as the weather warms. Bigpaul caught the best of the evening at 1lb 7 ounces, it looked like a record beater when it first popped out of the water and we thought we had cracked it. The fish was covered in sea lice so I don't think it could have been in the river long.

Over the river on the North side is the now idle shipyard of Swan Hunter, once a famous name and who built many a proud ship. When I was a child in the 1970's it seemed to be a monthly occurence that a fine ship was launched down it's slipway and into the arms of the welcoming Tyne. Sadly the last launch I witnessed was way back in 1984 and she was named the Atlantic conveyor, a replacement for the original ship of that name sunk during the Falklands conflict.

If you look closely, there is a wall to the right of the picture, during the launch of the Atlantic conveyor a crowd had assembled on the river bank to wish her good luck but disaster nearly struck when a huge bow wave was formed as the ship entered the water and as it reached the point in the picture it was the same height as the top of the wall, many people were soaked to the skin and only the railings that were higher back then saved them from certain death. I know I escaped by the skin of my teeth! I bet the owners of the posh houses lining the river bank now at Hebburn are glad shipbuilding is finally finished.

The cranes in the picture have now been sold off to a yard in India.

Back to the fishing: A bit slow but I managed a flounder and a small coalfish. The N.E.T.M. record still remains intact.

If you want a good chance of some nice flounder and maybe claim the North East Top Marks records get your hands on some peeler. I left a cast or two before the biglad I wonder how he faired?...........................to be continued:clap2:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well done lads, weather looks good and the fishing. Up Northumberland from Friday for a week and hoping to get out once or thrice! hope it keeps up.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
nice report lads with a bit of history and nostalgia thrown in. this record will be easily broken as fish to 2.1/2lb are regularly caught with the odd one to 3lb.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Now that looks a nice place to fish :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Will a another go there shortly now the fish are starting to show. Its nice comfortable fishing and no walking miles:clap2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts