World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low Tide :- 07:30
Wind :- A damn sight more than the "Beeb" said it would be!!!!
Sunny
Bait :- Mackie & Lug

Had time for a quick 3hr flattie bash today, first sesh in a wee while.

I really have to stop using the Beeb for the forecasts, knew it was breezy at home but the forecasted 17knts was really a steady 30 gusting 45knts!!! Whipping up a right beauty on the firth!!!

Got the rods baited and in for 11:15, spotting bites was going to be a right nightmare from the off, a good few lunks of weed made things even more interesting.
No action in the first half hr but then one rod went ape, nearly coming out the stand, resulting in this wee fella.

Made 2 1/4lb on the digi scales, never had my seatbox today but thats my size 10 "trotter" for a comparison, very lean as its well spent (not my trotter), but it had the best chance possible as I use circle hooks for the flukies.
I know I've said it before but they really do make a difference, hooked in the scissors and off it went, it fell to "Butterfingers" best black lug, ignoring the mackie and cocktail on the other 2 hooks of my 3 hook flapper.

Blank off but still no sign of my intended target yet, didn't have to wait long as 5 mins after releasing the troot the other rod gave the tell tale rattle of the humble flukie.

No great size to it but job done.

Fished till 13:45 with no further action, off home, battered by the wind, but a happy chappie.

Cheers

Freck

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Great to see a few coming out still.
Nairn was like a fishless desert for me this time last year - maybe the milder winter has kept them closer in?
Cheers, Leo.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for the report Freck. Nice wee read there and not a bad 3 hours session. Well done on your 'troot' and flounder. The sea trout does look very lean in the pic for the weight, so must have been a fair weight in prime condition. Good to see it went back in no probs.

I used the circle hooks many years ago and wasn't a great fan of them (okay with peeler crab though), but only recently, I was thinking of giving them a go again, as I still have a few left. I was thinking about them being better for the smaller, more immature fish, that you unfortunately catch early in the season with your targeted fish. Doggies in particular can be a problem for me when there's a few 'pups' around. Naw, not just thinking about it now, you've convinced me mate, I'll definitely make up a few rigs with the circle hooks.

Here's a few links that may be of use to you. I find that you do need to check out at least a couple of sources for more accurate info. Thanks again!

Fishing weather and tides.

XCWeather - Forecast for Fort William

Current Conditions for Fishing with AccuWeather.com Weather Forecast for Fishermen

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the reply Eric.
I'm def a convert to circles, i can even put up with missing the bites on the lift, although I'm sure most self hook with the circles.
Esp around Nairn when going for the flatties, the trout at this time of year are hard on the feed and will wolf the baits down.
Not targetting them, just a chance of hooking one and back in the best of health if you know what I mean.
Only really use them for the flukies but will bear that in mind if fishing in a doggie area when the pups are on the go, good tip ta.

Cheers for the weather sites, have had the XC site reccomended to me elsewhere and is now on ma phone.
Thanks are all mine Eric.

Cheers

Freck

·
Registered
44 Posts
:thumbs:Aye good wee sesh....been battered by the wind before at spey bay.
What size circle hooks do you use? Think I will give them a try this year.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice fish matey...
fair play to you for venturing out....:bb:
Cheers Flappy

:thumbs:Aye good wee sesh....been battered by the wind before at spey bay.
What size circle hooks do you use? Think I will give them a try this year.
Aye Findus, ta for the reply.
The circles I use are Sakuma's, size 1 and 1/0's. Not saying they are the be all and end all, I like using them esp with the flukies and hungry troots. A bit fiddly baiting up though but you'll soon find a happy medium in doing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts