World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody who reads the UK FORUMS on international shore venues in the past year,or just takes an interest in worldwide shore fishing cant but have noticed Namibia.We all know about its famous Bronze Whaler Sharks caught from the beach,on out TV's and in the fishing magazines,Henry Gilby and John Wilson have well documented the shore scene.Only then for the area to have a below average season as normal results go last year,and the forums are all full of 'the place is finished',the place is fished out,would never go back doom and gloom comments from anglers whose hopes of a huge catch disappeared with unseasonal weather.

We went last season,end of November,early December 05 in the middle of the most barren period,and caught fish,not as many and not as big as usual,but we caught fish to 200lbs from the shore.Where else in the World produces results like this in bad times,certainly not my local patch in the North East of England.So the Hacks on the forums wound themselves up into a frenzy on how it was and what was to blame,Who was to blame even,and we will never go back and waste our money.

Well to the title of this Post, "BACK WITH A BANG",it has an interesting connection to Namibia.You see the local Guides and Shore Anglers when they have really special catch's and specimens in numbers have a saying,"Hey Man it was FIREWORKS here today! ".,And FIREWORKS is what Namibia's beach's have producing all season this year.,

Granted Im sure some guys have not hit the high spots this year,but the fish have been there,in incredible numbers and absolute top draw awesome size.January saw the best Big Cobb run inshore in ten years,to spawn as they do every year,in huge numbers,big strong and fighting fit fish in the 8/12kg class as an average size.Yes thats right 25lbs fish,and some specimens went well over 20kg and bigger.The kids were catching them at thirty yards distance.Makes you want to weep that you dont live on the beach here.

With the huge influx also of other edible fish,including species such as Big Steenbras,the local sea brean,thousands of small sting rays,the Big Apex Predators always follow.The Bronzies(Bronze Whaler Sharks)returned inshore to feed on the feast,and with the wind staying from the south west the conditions have been near good if not ideal.Most importantly the sea temprature has stayed down this year, with the cool currents running up along the West African coast the fish love so much.

As for the Sharks,well the small sharks if 60lbs is what you can call small,have also been around again.Spotted Gully Sharks,Smoothhounds,all to specimen size in numbers.What about the Bronzies that so did a vanishing act last season for most anglers,well thats the real story and when the Fireworks really got started.Big Numbers of smaller male fish have raced onto baits cast out,up and down the whole coast,fish in the 50kg to 80kg region.Then there was the Iceing on the cake for the lucky few Bronzie Anglers who managed to avoid these rampaging males.

Massive female Bronzies,in good numbers,Im talking 120kgs and bigger.Want specifics,a dozen or more recorded 150kg plus fish in only two weeks of fishing in February.Colossol fish of 160kg,170kg,190kg in one afternoon to some UK anglers,Roger Gates,being one,guided by local Johan Burger.Another top guide Henry Lubseer guiding regular clients from the Isle of Man,UK,Robbie and Michael Cowin,and their mate Barry had a great week,with 21 fish beached to over 300lbs.Including Barry,a first time client bagging quality fish of 140kg and 130kg.Then we are not finished there,because the Cherry on the Cake is always saved till last but not at all least.

My own Group,I joined up with two married couples from York for the first four days of my fishing trip,Glenn and Val Carey along with their friends Rob and Miriam Bachman,guided by top Namibian International shore angler Terence Clark of Mola Mola Angling Namibia.We had struggled with the Bronzies for three days,losing fish after fish,they were there but we lost so many I lost count.No real reason bar they were big fish that ran us ragged and put us on our knees.,but we managed five out eventually.After four previous years of fishing with Terence I could tell he was frustrated at our sorry attempts to land fish.So as it was the two York couples last day Thursday 22nd February 07,it was decided to fish a easy mark,open water,no reefs for Bronzies to smash us up on.This was to be Long Strand,a beach ten minutes drive south from where the couples were staying,in
Swakupmund the local tourist resort.

Terence and myself,met the rest of the party on the beach at 8.00am,baits were cast,no chum(ground bait)to attract the Sharks,but as they had been about the evening before we cast in hope they were still around.Ten minutes and Glenn was into a fish,only to lose it after a 15 minute fight.Robs rod went next all in the first half hour,we were into the fish and had the beach to ourselves.This fish stayed hooked and proceeded to drag Rob off down the beach at a rate of knots,Terence in tow giving advice and Glenn on the camera.

I was by my own rod,and the spare one in the meantime with the two ladies.When the spare rods tip bounced and pulled over hard in the stand toward the sea.In a split second line was screaming out against the set drag,so I pulled the rod out of the stand under pressure and gave the fish three hard strikes as the fish raced away..As the run progressed seawards steady the rod was handed over to a very reluctant looking Valerie.Custom and practice says this was not my rod,hence not my fish.The look on Vals face as she was told to hang on and not let go was a picture.This fish then proceeded to drag the Girls in turn,up and down the beach for the next 90 minutes.In the meantime Terence returned and took over the coaching,after Rob had landed a nice Bronzie of 80kgs.End to this story,well how big do you want it to be,well it is probably is the biggest shore fish any UK women have caught in history any where in the world.

Overall length was 3.75 metres,a female and estimated to weigh 220kgs and a new Mola Mola Angling Namibia record.The Shark was tagged,video and photographed before being released unharmed back into the water,where she swam strongly away back through the surf.It also is one of only five recorded fish over 200kg in Namibian Angling History by anyone,the first to be on video we think.

A happy ending,so as the story began,the truth is the fish are there on the beach in Namibia as they always were,they never went away,my thoughts for an Angling Holiday of a Lifetime at a reasonable price,seek out a top guide and go try for yourself you will not be unhappy you did.

Our pictures of the rest of our Trip and that 220KG BRONZIE can be viewed on

www.namibiasharkfishing.com

regards Davey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Davey

This sounds fantastic.

I was in Namibia in January. Unfortunately the water was very warm and the wind from the north for most of the week we were there but we still caught plenty of fish although not by the standards you mention.

I can't wait to go back.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
HI Again Davey - your pictures are all on ourfishing photos for you now. Great the fishing there is looking good. I prefer the east coast of Africa but when I next get to Walvis Bay I will have a few casts but I cant see this being before next year.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We went with sea ace charters before it was taken over by a chap from Weymouth.
we fished with Rudie and Bertie.

Had Stenbrau to 37lb, Kob to 57lb, Spotties to 70lb, Cows to 80lb and Bronzies to 200lb.
Also, went on safari to etosha for 3 days, superb!

after returning from safari to base camp to carry on fishing we had what they call Yellow sea or a Sulphur bloom. Suffocated all sorts of inshore dwelling creatures including Octopus which we spent one day picking up off beach and freezing down estimate 1-2 tons. Good job they had a walk in freezer. This is a natural event and got told to take advantage and fish as much as possible just incase it happended as this would kill the fishing for about 3-6 weeks. Luckily we were going home 2 days after it happened!

·
Registered
1 Posts
:fishing1:Whilst this looks like a very big bronzie, there is no way this fish is 3.75meters (over 12 feet long) – just look at the people standing next to it for a start. The bronzie is a very big one and is probably around 160kg and that is still an outstanding fish to be caught from the shore. :clap3: It’s a shame it only fought for 90 minutes as a fish of this size should fight in excess of 3 hours. :giveup:

Unfortunately, some of the guides like to over estimate these fish and it is a shame for the reputable Namibian guides who try to give accurate weights when estimating weights of fish. You cannot use the total length measurement to get an estimated weight. Rather you need the length from the nose to the per cordial notch, the tail length (from the notch to the tip) and the girth to give an estimate that is within 5kg. :oops:

:busted_co Every year there are Bronzies caught “over 200kgs” and these are mainly grossly over estimated. The current Namibian record is 176kgs. Whilst only members of angling teams within Namibia can weigh fish in for records there has been a couple of weighed fish (using proper calibrated scales) in excess of this, the best recorded ever being 191kg and that was 3.5meters (total length). :blahblah:

:fishing::busted_co With regards the fish populations; fishing is the same world over. Tides, weather water conditions and the fish themselves can be unpredictable. There are generally good numbers of sharks around from October to May each year and many caught during the winter months. If you are fortunate to be in the right place at the right time then all well and good – your guides will assist in this where they can. :fish:

I am not trying to provoke anyone. These are just a few home truthes that need saying.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OPPS yes your quite correct, never noticed that measurement as the author of the original post.Should have checked it and editted it correctly.

The Bronzie was accurately measured, as you say,from tip of nose to per cordial notch at 2.42m. Never measured the tail,but was in region of 1m long.These measurements and estimated weight were taken by highly respected Namibian International angling guide Terence Clark,how honest and reputable in Namibias angling circles would you like.I ve personally witnessed in my time with Terence,seventy days actually fishing on the beach in Namibia in past four years,or over 700 hours fishing, well over five hundred Bronze Whalers landed.He has witnessed well thousands I would say,and this fish was a 200kg Bronzie,with its immence girth being a very pregnant female fish.Resulting in a surprisingly short and sluggish fight duration.

I ve seen fish accurately weighed to 160kg on calibrated digital scales,and this fish was way bigger in all dimentions than those.As for 200kg fish getting caught every year they are not,only possibly five, documented/photographed in Namibia s Angling History.So dont expect to catch one or even see a fish anywhere near that big.Anglers should be honest and set their sights on a 100kg fish, the size at which a fish is considered a specimen.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
OPPS yes your quite correct, never noticed that measurement as the author of the original post.Should have checked it and editted it correctly.
Thanks for clarifying that Raptor.

Bronze whalers, aka Narrowtooth Sharks, are I understand found globally in that band of sub tropical water between 45N and 52S. The largest one I can find reference to, perhaps caught commercially, was 305kgs (672lbs) and 3.25 metres long. In terms of rod and line caught specimens the IGFA record one of 533lb 8oz (242kg) from New Zealand as their World All Tackle record.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately you will get a answer from the Main Man Terence Clark about the actual size of the Fish.Look' Anglers Net Forum' the man has put up a logical and factual ANSWER to what! Big Sharks from the beach are ALL ABOUT !

·
Registered
21 Posts
When are you off there mate ? I'll be there in a little over 3 weeks for the 2nd time this year and 4th time in total. Staying in Swakopmund and looking to have a crack at some big edibles as well as the bronzies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts