World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had a few issues with larger lures 13cm plus with three sets of trebles. Im trying to find a happy medium of fish hooking balanced against welfare, unhooking a fish with even two sets of trebles is hard enough.
What do you think is the best compromise ?
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 21.13.51.png

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I’ve changed all my 3 hook lures of that size to full singles.
On a 130 lire, I’d have a 2/0 rear, 1/0 and then a 4 or 2 up front just as an assist. I e never had a fish hooked up on the front hook of a 3 hook lure, not saying it won’t happen, hence the reason I’ve kept a small one on there but I reckon 99% of the time you’ll hook up on the rear or middle !

Alternatively you could try a stinger arrangement if you wanna stick with trebles but drop to 2 or 1.......
42387684-97A4-4276-865D-0BB0B69D0752.jpeg

.......like this, but I’d still have a hook at the back if I was to use this arrangement.
Tbh tho, I wouldn’t reckomfnd this as it could be a nightmare for snagging on rock, reef or weed !!!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Ive had a few issues with larger lures 13cm plus with three sets of trebles. Im trying to find a happy medium of fish hooking balanced against welfare, unhooking a fish with even two sets of trebles is hard enough.
View attachment 1123721
on that lure you would get away with ether just a tail hook or the middle hook only[my preference].
i think its absolutely insane to have 3 hooks on a lure..back in the 50's they had as many as 7 hooks and then some..
look at Sp's one single no matter the size,useless when they ad a stinger on the tail as it null and voids any action.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I`m really confused by this hook business.I do`nt have a problem with barbed trebles on decent fish but I do dislike getting small bass with hooks all over em.
Is there any solid advice on what lures work Ok with singles,how many ,size etc.
I`m tempted to believe that one single of the right size on the tail should be enough but others think you need a belly hook?
Then will the action be affected? maybe time more lure designers started to look at these issues and design lures especially for say two singles.
Hennie has got to be right-cannot be a need for three trebles on any lure in order to hook and hold.
I thought I saw a list somewhere of recommended singles with our most common lures but can`t seem to find it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
View attachment 1123721
for a long time now i have fished lures with just one single size 4 or 2 on the back end only (most of them barbless carp patterns) but would suggest micro barbed to start. i have fished like this for bass sewin trout and salmon (best this yr 34") in some big fast water with just as much success as when using a bunch of trebles. give it a go and the best of luck.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Imho...There is another way of coming at this issue of reducing treble hook damage to landed fish.

Use a good fish grip ...and use it quickly and properly!

In my experience.. wading or on the shore..in the boat... if I quickly 'fish grip' the fish on landing it... the chances of a flailing treble catching an eye or gill or gut/belly and causing major or fatal damage are all but eliminated!

e.g. when wading or on the rocks.....
Fish played and ready for unhooking / landed/beached.

Grip the fish immediately (fish grip on lanyard on life vest ...!)
Wedge rod butt inside vest.. now other hand is free to unhook fish with pliers (Pliers to hand on lanyard on vest ... )
Hooks out...no sweat
And back it goes!

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,468 Posts
I just take off the middle treble , on a three treble lure ............

If I had to go down to one treble ,,, it would be on the rear .Of every lure.

Singles I have tried hard ,,,,,,,, thought it would be great on a lure ,,, there great on soft s ......

But for me its 50/ 50 on getting the hook up ,,,,, to many hits for not enough hook ups ,,,,

Not for me , I'm afraid ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts