World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share a little bit of cool techy stuff I've been using for the last few months, it's called sonar server it basically links the fish finder with my iPad and navionics.

Here is the standard navionics chart for a reef we fish on some long range trips - similar to what we see on our c120.

Here is the same reef in sonar charts by navionics - lots more detail!

On this day conditions were perfect so we were able to fish this reef for a brief period before everyone lost lots of gear or we started drifting towards the exposed rocks, here is what it looks like via sonar charts live through sonar server:

I know it looks a bit messy as the pinnacles are so incredibly harsh, dropping 20m in about 30ft in places, but gives you an idea of extra detail you get by going over and recording the ground your self, I.e you can see 4 distinct peaks where as the other charts only show one.

Here is a wreck I charted out also.

Again, a bit messy but show distinctly the bow and stern sections that sit highest above the sea bed... No bloody fish on the thing though!!

If any one else is using similar systems I'd be interested in seeing your results too,

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
that's a hell of a difference are the darkest parts big drop off's?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
amazing detail im thinking of going down this route my plotters one don't run navionics the other does but not the sonar charts so im thinking of getting a tablet for it. Much better for searching out marks

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
It doesn't have to be a dramatic feature - in fact the less dramatic features are the ones that are useful to find in an otherwise flat seabed. Here are two examples, a wreck in our harbour which is well marked but it doesn't show much

This is what you see after a couple of sweeps with Sonar Charts Live. As you can see the wreck is nowhere near the chart icon

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Here is an area of rock sticking up only a metre of so from a flat seabed (not so flat when you see the trail....

And with Sonar Charts Live...

The biggest challenge is getting the sonar onto the tablet without spending a fortune. All you need is a compatible on-board wifi, I used vyacht which is by far the cheapest but is a bit techy to set up. I have it linked to my Garmin network for the sonar readings over NMEA0183.

G

·
0 Posts
For those with Garmin kit, you can also do the same with Garmin 'Quick Draw' .................;)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I like the look of that I have a garmin that will run it I will give it a go. Is this quite new out?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are navionics dropping the app for tablets as a friend of mine tried to buy it but it's not available for android and I tried to update mine for the iPad and the app is saying no product to update

·
Registered
787 Posts
It will not update my version but tries to sell me the new version from the App Store for iPad £44.95

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
this year I think? cheers I have downloaded the latest update for my plotter and the quick draw onto memory card im going over to the boat soon to do it

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have got it up and running on my unit now, I had to update the software on it thanks for the heads up:)

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
My GPSMap4008 is not on the list :( Looks like I will have to live with Navionics on an iPad- not a problem!

G

·
0 Posts
My GPSMap4008 is not on the list :( Looks like I will have to live with Navionics on an iPad- not a problem!
Speak to Garmin Nev ... most sonars that support chirp seem to support quick draw ..............

The SV range in also not on the list, but mine has it as standard ........... works really well ............ You need a big (ish) sd card as IIRC it stores about 1GB per hour.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
On the GPSMap4008 there is one card slot and it holds the Garmin chart, so I am not sure how it could write to a card at the same time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A question about sonar charts live, can the live updates only be viewed on an ipad/tablet, or is it possible to update a Navionics + card with them for use in a fishfinder? Or would I have to share the logs with Navionics to do that?

G

·
0 Posts
On the GPSMap4008 there is one card slot and it holds the Garmin chart, so I am not sure how it could write to a card at the same time.
There is only one card slot on my 95SV and if you update the built in charts they sit on the memory card. However the memory card is read just like any FAT drive and any other info like software updates, Tracks, and all other user data is held in separate directories.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A question about sonar charts live, can the live updates only be viewed on an ipad/tablet, or is it possible to update a Navionics + card with them for use in a fishfinder? Or would I have to share the logs with Navionics to do that?
As far as I know its only on iPhone/iPad/Android - If the soundings are uploaded to the navionics servers then apparently they'll get rolled into the normal charts, but I'm not sure if that's happening in the UK.

Only exception is if you're using Raymarine MDF (Multifunction Display) units, they have it built in by the looks of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts