World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Anyone else on the forum have one of these and experienced problems with them linking to the GPS ???
My last one couldnt get the lats and longs from the gps so sent it back to Navman who kindly sent me another unit , this one worked for about 2 weeks then same thing happened , leaving me with no DSC function .
I have E mailed Navman but no reply yet . Anyone any ideas or similar dealings with this model ????

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Andy

I have a 7100, found it a bit hard to get to work correctly until I found the wiring diagram and info supplied on Navman's web site.

See this link http://www.plastimo.com/pdf/VHF_GPS_interface_en.pdf and see if it helps you, don't forget to switch on the right strings/language on your GPS.

It is also worth checking the plug that connects the GPS lead to the radio, I have found it needs to be pushed home well to make a good connection.

Dave
:giveup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could be the GPS is the problem.

Some GPS's use only one wire, assuming the power negative is the the same for all the equipment attached to it and therefore tie the return line to the negative. Not particularly clever and can be dangerous (starter motor finding the easiest route to ground through the GPS for example!)

Alternatively, how many things are you sending a GPS output to? Basically they aren't designed for more than one (two you can normally get away with) on the same output.

Or hopefully it's as simple as Dave says and the connector needs a good push home or you need to enable some NMEA strings (GLL and/or GGA usually) :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I brought a navman 7100 at the beginning of this year, (due to the advice given on this forum) I have connected it to a lowrance 332c GPS/Sounder and you do need the wiring diagram from the navman site. the cables show be marked with GPS + and GPS -.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replys . The vhf is connected to a Navman 5500 plotter so shouldnt be too much trouble there , I did consult with Navmans web site wiring diagram and even had a mate check the whole thing over .
Must try Daves solution and try and push the plugs home more , fingers crossed :g:

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have access to a digital multimeter you can check the voltage across the GPS output. You should see the voltage flickering between roughly 0V and 4.5V. Some meters (generally cheaper ones believe it or not) are better at this than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts