World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just been having a long conversation with the head techie honcho type geezer, Mark Parkin, down at Navman.
My call was about a separate technical issue, but I thought I would take the opportunity of finding the best way for consumers to get support following a number of people saying they needed a spare or couldn't get through over recent weeks / months.

Firstly, Navman has just been bought out by the group that also owns Simrad.
The two products will be kept separate, but that's useful info.

Right, how to get support, from the horses mouth:

Either:
1) email [email protected]
2) Or call 0870 751 4666 and ask for the Navman technical department voicemail

Both methods go straight to one of two guys (Mark and Paul) who sit in a little lab wearing white coats and holding soldering irons whilst wearing big goggle eyed glasses. These guys WILL respond to your issues, but they may not be able to answer them that very moment (they will be holding a soldering iron and may burn themselves).

If you follow the above route, you will be dealing directly with the two key brains behind Navman in the UK. They are top chaps, but with just the two of them in the lab, the are under pressure so give them the opportunity to respond.

Tom

· Registered
5,558 Posts
Nice one Tom, email sent.

This will be the 4th all so far unanswered.

Yesterday n the 7th call to Plastimo I got through to someone who told me to go to a website which lists their authorised service centres. Result? I rang the 2 closest to me.

First one has stopped repairing Navman as they can't get parts.

Second will not repair any unit if it was not bought from them, too much trouble trying to get the parts.

I will wait and see if the last email to the addy you have linked is answered but I think it is fair to say I will never use Navman / Plastimo nor recomend their products again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris

I was assured that using either the email or requesting Navman technical Voicemail will end up right on their laps and that they would respond.

Let me know how you get on as I do have a good working relationship with these guys and can bully them (nicely) a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris

I have also just spotted that I had put .com in the email address I wrote.
It should have been .co.uk

I have now edited it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have my fingers crossed.

If it doesn't work Chris let me know as I do have myb own way in (so to speak) and I'll go and whinge at them lots!

· Registered
1,075 Posts
When I needed a mic bracket, I eventually got an emailed response which showed they had been kicking the question around internally including in France I think. Unfortunately the answer was pretty unsatisfactory as they said that all Navman sets were supplied with mic brackets ...... derrr ! I think I guessed that. Thankfully ChrisP made me one out of S/S by copying his own ... and it works brilliantly.
Moral being, I don't think it's their willingness that's a problem ... just a sensible approach to spares stocks required.
Mike

· Registered
5,558 Posts
You were lucky Mike, I have been contacting them almost daily for 2 weeks now without any response at all. The did tell me their repairs were outsourced to approved service centres when I got through to actually speak to someone just the once. I was advised to contact the closest service centre to arrange the repair. One will not touch Navman as they simply cannot get the parts and the other will only repair Navman gear bought originally from them.

For a piece of gear 3 years old and costing £702 with the map cartridge their level of aftersales stinks. I know a lot of dealers are fitting a Navman package to their boats as an option, I hope they realise the grief they have in store when their customers start coming back with problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally,I would be more concerned with the Arvor! :unsure:
Couple that with Navman and you have a proper load on your hands!

Ron
Actually that really made me chuckle Ron!

I am going to try and get the Navman techies to take a look at this thread as you are simply a cross section of their customers.

· Registered
155 Posts
and can bully them (nicely) a little.
thats the confidence building hallmark and sign of a friendly efficient and quality customer service is it ??that a supplier/dealer or whoever has to resort to bullying them in an attempt to even get a response from them. :uhuh: Still if they do in fact see this thread, although there are others for them to look at elsewhere, they may make the big gesture with this little problem to make their service look acceptable which at least would be a result for one person.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the confidence building hallmark and sign of a friendly efficient and quality customer service is it ??that a supplier/dealer or whoever has to resort to bullying them in an attempt to even get a response from them. :uhuh: Still if they do in fact see this thread, although there are others for them to look at elsewhere, they may make the big gesture with this little problem to make their service look acceptable which at least would be a result for one person.
Someone got out of bed the wrong side didn't they :kissing:
Chill out mate! :giveup:

I was being tongue in cheek in as much as I do have a good relationship with them, and for what it is worth to someone like you, care about sorting out issues for my fellow forumites. Companies are not perfect and if they have a failing then it needs pointing out so that they can do their best to rectify a problem. All I am doing is to try and help point out the issue to Navman and subsequently help not just one person on here, but others who may be suffering similar issues.
....Hence the purpose of the thread in the first place!

Get a life, instead of trying to see a negative in anyone attempting to be positive.

· Registered
12,188 Posts

If this guy has had, or is having, the same sort of ****ty service/reponse to his enquiries, that I am experiencing with Silva, then I can understand how he is feeling p****d off with Navman!:g:
They manufacture this stuff the other side of the world, set up dealerships & franchises in this country, but all repairs are done in either USA or Taiwan, & the best they can offer you is a "service exchange deal", on something that has done f**k all hours, gone tits up, & the dealer wont respond when you try to get it fixed!:rtfm:
Maybe you are lucky, being "luvvy duvvy" with them because you are "in the trade", we aren't so lucky, & when we get ignored we get annoyed, & to be told that they "need a bit of bullying" doesn't help, we didn't have to bully them at all to take our money off us for the goods!:nonono:
blueskip

· Registered
1,528 Posts
I would advise anyone who buys a product from a RETAILER that their first resort if the seller trys to pass the buck on to the manufacturer/wholesaler is to explain in a calm assertive way that under British law the RETAIL SELLER is culpable for all faults in the first year and on a decreasing scale for a further 5 (yes a total of 6 years). Do not accept the "We didn't make it we only sell them" attitude. Or the " You have to send it back to the manufacturer mate" crap. The onus of repair/replace is very firmly on the SELLER.
A threat or actuality of a Small Claims Court action is usually suficient to concentrate their mind. However many many small retailers have absolutely no idea of the law and act in all innocence and ignorance.

The acts concerened are 'The fitness for purpose act' and the Disclosure of features that may alter the buyers desision to buy act. In other words if you are told when returning a faulty unit that "They all do that Mate" . You are perfectly entitled to ask for a full refund because you should have been told of that fault/feature BEFORE you made the desision to purchase. The onus of proof is on the seller.

Afishionado

· Registered
3,148 Posts

If this guy has had, or is having, the same sort of ****ty service/reponse to his enquiries, that I am experiencing with Silva, then I can understand how he is feeling p****d off with Navman!:g:
They manufacture this stuff the other side of the world, set up dealerships & franchises in this country, but all repairs are done in either USA or Taiwan, & the best they can offer you is a "service exchange deal", on something that has done f**k all hours, gone tits up, & the dealer wont respond when you try to get it fixed!:rtfm:
Maybe you are lucky, being "luvvy duvvy" with them because you are "in the trade", we aren't so lucky, & when we get ignored we get annoyed, & to be told that they "need a bit of bullying" doesn't help, we didn't have to bully them at all to take our money off us for the goods!:nonono:
blueskip
Well said that man. To the manufacturers that is. Not the Luvvy Duvvy bit!
We folks at the buying end get fobbed off with poor aftersales service far too much.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
The acts concerened are 'The fitness for purpose act' and the Disclosure of features that may alter the buyers desision to buy act. In other words if you are told when returning a faulty unit that "They all do that Mate" . You are perfectly entitled to ask for a full refund because you should have been told of that fault/feature BEFORE you made the desision to purchase. The onus of proof is on the seller.

Afishionado
Lots of info on the Sale of Goods Act etc here - http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/callist.cgi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fully agree that the consumer shouldn't stand for the rubbish hands they are sometimes delt. That was entirely the reason for starting this thread in the first place.

I didn't have to, but I took the time and effort to ask the techie bloggs (who now tell me they don't wear thick rimmed glasses, white coats and walk around with soldering irons... my illusion is shattered) at Navman for their own recommended route to get support.
Not of huge relevance, but software upgrades etc are handled at Navimo (Navman) in Hedge End whilst actual repairs are handled in Wareham.

Please note that whilst I appear to be supporting Navman here, I am actually supporting the consumer and trying to get better service for us all. The reason for my "bite" earlier in the thread is I felt that there was a personal dig being directed at me for even trying to get it sorted. I am actually only trying to help.

Tom

· Registered
1,528 Posts
I fully agree that the consumer shouldn't stand for the rubbish hands they are sometimes delt. That was entirely the reason for starting this thread in the first place.

I didn't have to, but I took the time and effort to ask the techie bloggs (who now tell me they don't wear thick rimmed glasses, white coats and walk around with soldering irons... my illusion is shattered) at Navman for their own recommended route to get support.
Not of huge relevance, but software upgrades etc are handled at Navimo (Navman) in Hedge End whilst actual repairs are handled in Wareham.

Please note that whilst I appear to be supporting Navman here, I am actually supporting the consumer and trying to get better service for us all. The reason for my "bite" earlier in the thread is I felt that there was a personal dig being directed at me for even trying to get it sorted. I am actually only trying to help.

Tom

Tom, there are always the type of people that when offered a bar of free gold will moan that it is all yellow.

I understand that you feel slighted as indeed you were. But for every negative person there are dozens here who appriciate your advice and efforts.
If the rather silly moaner thought for a minute he would realise that the sale of one electronic unit to a retail customer means nothing to the manufacturer. However if a major trade buyer and installer of their equipment says "Look guys I am worried about the continued use of your gear, because of your growing reputation for bad aftersales service"; They are going to sit up and take notice.

Now Tom did not have to take up your problems he is quite comfortable and able to accept the greatfull thanks of a manufacturer in the way of the odd jolly at some exotic venue. However he put himself on their wrong side by telling them with far far more clout than one insignificant retail moaner could muster, that they ought to shape up and give better service. He did this not on behalf of one of his own customers who may have spent upwards of £30000 with him, but on behalf of someone who is just a member of a public forum.

I think Tom is owed an appology.

Afishiondo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.