World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for an evening session at Tidemills on Thursday. Complete waste of time and bait to be honest.

Decided to fish just after HW down. Had two Bass of around 2LBs and then nothing for hours.

At about midnight, while bringing in to check bait, it looked like a small foul hooked Pout on the hook so went to grab it but pulled my hand away at the last second when I realised it was a small Lesser Weever of around 3 inches.

Managed to unhook it with pliers and returned it.

After many years of fishing and knowing the pitfalls, I still went to grab that fish by instinct. Just goes to show how one slip of attention could easily bring you trouble. (Anyone who knows Tidemills, knows the difficulty of getting back to any help when you are fishing alone).

In essence folks, be very careful, don't get too blasé and watch what you bring in before handling.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Went for an evening session at Tidemills on Thursday. Complete waste of time and bait to be honest.

Decided to fish just after HW down. Had two Bass of around 2LBs and then nothing for hours.

At about midnight, while bringing in to check bait, it looked like a small foul hooked Pout on the hook so went to grab it but pulled my hand away at the last second when I realised it was a small Lesser Weever of around 3 inches.

Managed to unhook it with pliers and returned it.

After many years of fishing and knowing the pitfalls, I still went to grab that fish by instinct. Just goes to show how one slip of attention could easily bring you trouble. (Anyone who knows Tidemills, knows the difficulty of getting back to any help when you are fishing alone).

In essence folks, be very careful, don't get too blasé and watch what you bring in before handling.
Well I'm planning Tide Mills myself tonight. If I get 2 Bass of 2lb then it will certainly not be considered a waste of time. I'll look out for the weevers though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
never caught a weever but know they got a stinger on there heads right?? whats the effects of getting stung by it??

·
Registered
407 Posts
A sting from a weaver usually results in severe swelling and pain in the affected area. Your whole arm can swell up twice its normal size. If stung in the foot (common in surfers and swimmers) you may not be able to walk only a few minutes after being stung. The recomended treatment is to immerse the affected area into water as hot as you can bear for 15 minutes. The heat breaks down the poison. A visit to hospital may be required to treat the toxins effects. Get to a hospital straight away is the best advice.

For certain people a sting from a weaver can be fatal if you do not get proper treatment. If you have a dicky ticker or have a severe anaphalactic reaction you could be a goner. In rare cases people have died due to respiratory failure and gangrene is a possibility.

·
Registered
489 Posts
shes a nasty bugger then!! keep my eyes peeled! thanks forth e warnings dudes

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm planning Tide Mills myself tonight. If I get 2 Bass of 2lb then it will certainly not be considered a waste of time. I'll look out for the weevers though.
Point taken Judge. I really didn't mean it to sound like it did. Guess I was just a bit disappointed that it started so well and then turned to cack. I know that I should be more grateful for whatever I get.

I've sentenced myself to at least 40 hours community service doing fishing surveys. :)

For Weever ID look here:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/lesserweever.html

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
No dig intended Vic, I know what you mean about catching an early fish and then it goes all blank. Same thing happened to me last year on the marina, pulled in a 2lb bass and one just less straightaway, then spent the next 4 hours with 1 8oz Bass. Went home dissapointed but if the fish had come on the last 2 casts I would have gone home so much happier.

I did visit Tide Mills last night and the surf looked spot on for some bassy action. Peeler, fresh out blow lug and Squid on the hook. I aslo ended up with 2 fish close to 2lb but was also a bit dissapointed as they were eels. Thought I was into a really decent Bass on the first one as it really struggled and ran hard when close to the beach, not the usual solid lump of an eel.

Point taken Judge. I really didn't mean it to sound like it did. Guess I was just a bit disappointed that it started so well and then turned to cack. I know that I should be more grateful for whatever I get.

I've sentenced myself to at least 40 hours community service doing fishing surveys. :)

For Weever ID look here:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/lesserweever.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts