World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from two weeks in the Melia. I had e mailed Dunesky and had fished with him before, but this time I think he had much richer clients than me on his waiting list. Anyway more of that later. It was a really windy couple of weeks, which meant only got out on the hobby cats once, and only got one Barracuda, about 8lbs to the boat. Had a go off the rocks playing around catching Sardines and fishing them under a float, had one good take but missed it. Tried walking down to the flats but the tides were big and with the waves it just made it too difficult. One tip if you are going to try to get to the flats get into the water at least a couple of hundred yards before the mangroves and wade out and then round. If you get too close the sand get very very soft. Fished for the Snappers in the lagoon, great fun, caught a few to about 1 ½ lbs, lost the biggest one I hooked, I was a bit too easily done on 8lb line. Back to the dream, a bone fish on the fly, I am a seriously sheeeeet fly angler, being a bit new to it. But anyway hooked up with a great guy from Canada and he got us booked up with a really fantastic guide, a really nice bloke and very patient, he had to be! Did the drive all the way to Paradon one morning and the guide had been saying that it was not a good day too windy and wet. He was right we just ended driving back. Re booked a couple of days later and what a fantastic day. The guide must have given us about 25 good chances and we managed 7 between the two of us, I lost 4-3. But if you have never hooked a Bone fish, you ought to change that, it is some experience. On top of that I had put in a light spinning rod, had a chance at a monster Barracuda, could get it to follow but not take. However going over flats put a popper out and had a fish about 10lb, on light gear great fun. I think I will remember my first days Bone fishing for some time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunny was in the lobby bar most mornings and afternoons and was in good spirtis, as always. I thnkhis customers were some Russians in the first week and a Sandivian the second. One chap from LOndon who thought he 6 days booked with hime ended with his side kick, Alex, he was not happy. I don't thnk his boat looked any different from last year, but can't say I took that much notice of the boat he came in on. The boat we were out on I thnk was better for the guide, for Bone fishing as it had a platform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts