World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anybody give the best directions to ogmore deeps im coming from port talbot made it down be the estaury on sunday how far exactly was i away? any info would be great thanx

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi m8,
i hope this helps a bit.

OGMORE DEEPS

Ogmore DeepsOgmore Deeps is noteably one of the finest marks to fish in South Wales all year round. The deeps are a series of rock outcrops , and provide the ideal fishing platform.The best way to get to this mark is to follow signs for Ogmore by Sea. At the eastern end of the village is a small field come car park near one of the many cattle grids. Park here and don't leave any valuables on display in your car. Directly in front of the car park is a grassy path leading down to the coastline. Once down here walk to the west for about 300 yards and you will clearly see the ledges. Choose your spot, and fish. The groung is best fished over high tide, and a cast of 40 yards or more should see you onto clean ground. There are however a few small outcrops that will snag your tackle. fishing is easy and comfortable, casting into about 20 feet of water. This mark should not be fished during swells or an onshore blow, people have lost their lives being swepped off the ledges, and countless rods have been dragged seawards.Summer species include plenty of spotted, thornback, blonde and small eyed ray, conger, bass, smoothound and DOGFISH! Best summer bait at this mark for the ray is sandeel and squid, although mackerel and peeler crabs will catch most of the summer species. It is also possible to floatfish for Garfish at this mark, bewteen 3 and 5 foot in depth. A smal silver strip of makerel should catch the Garfish, which can be great sport on light tackle, whilst waiting for something a bit bigger on the beachcasters. In the winter this is a extremely popular cod mark, so get here early. Plenty of decent size whiting and pouting can be caught, and good cod are often caught here with the odd lunker. Mackerel and squid will catch the whiting, but the best bait for the cod is fresh black lugworm tipped with squid. All other worms and whole squid should also attract the cod.
HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT M8 I EXPECT OTHER MEMBERS WILL HELP AS WELL...CLIVE.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Come along that coast road from bridgend toward the estuary, instead of turning right down to the river mouth, where the car park and hut is, CARRY ON THROUGH THE VILLAGE.

Once through the village , you will go over a cattle grid, turn left here onto the grass car park.

To get to the deeps, cross this road down toward the sea, once you reach the sea, turn left and walk for about 5 minutes, the deeps are the ledges you will see here.

Fish here on a medium tide only, and avoid if there is any wave action.

Never fish here in the dark unless you know it and take your litter home, its a real problem here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This i a comment made on another fishing site about the deeps to back bluebeard's comments.

Went fishing at ogmore deeps, nice day, caught a few fish, but what a mess ! The place stinks. Smells like a toilet, covered in old bait wrappers, plastic bags, bottles, cans, you name its there. Carried there and left by anglers.
You carried it there when it was full, what's the problem with carrying it home when it's empty.
This area is fished by many visiting anglers. If you are a visiting angler reading this I suggest you save yourself a bad experence and fish somewhere else,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice one marcus, the ledges are a mess. I wonder how many people have placed a comment here about the rubbish and done nothing about it? We took 3 bags full of junk to the bins at the car park yesterday and there was still a heap of stuff down there. If everyone did a little bit, it would soon be a heap better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts