World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start I would just like to say hello to everyone.

With that over, I am hoping you could offer a new fisherman some advice. I have only been fishing for a few months now and am having trouble catching any fish. My main problem seems to be missing the fish as they bite, so I was hoping, Can anyone tell me when is the best time to strike and what sort of technique should be used?

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this and not really had any luck, Most sites that offer advice seem to skim over this little piece of information.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi Ruby, sit on your hands, by that i mean don't be too quick to strike let the fish get stuck into it's meal before you introduce the steel, what sort of hooks are you using? if your into circle hooks you don't strike you just wind into the fish, the other thing is don't use too big a bait, remember your trying to catch them not feed them, and are the hooks your using the right size for the fish you are targeting. make sure the hook point is clear of the bait and not masking it. If I think of anything else I'll post it, keep trying it will come right.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
do you know what fish are likely to be biting?
you need to match the hook size to the fish aswell as the bait.
if you are fishing with 4/0 hooks and flounder are feeding you are unlikely to hook anything no matter how long you leave it.
if there are others fishing ask them for advice as most of us are decent folk and only to willing to help.
by the way where are you fishing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like good advice, mainly what I have been trying to do. Guess it will just take some practice.

I am using size 1 hooks, fishing mainly rag off the beaches of Southsea in Portsmouth and the beaches of Hayling Island not far away. Caught a few tiddlers but had nothing worth taking home. Been thinking of going up a few hook sizes and using some different bait, maybe Mackeral, not sure how well I would do at that though, seeing as I can't snag the littlens yet :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi ruby,if you ask gusangus nicely he might give you the local websites for your area as he fishes down your way , helped me out this week ,nice bloke. other than that ask your local tackle dealer i know when ive fished down your way the staff at alans marine tackle shop couldnt have been more helpful.stick with it it will all happen if you put the hours in and dont be scared to ask,another way is talk to any of the anglers that may be in compitions they used to have quite a few on the beach at southsea,good luck dont give up just yet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts