World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Freeloader
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a mustad fillet knife suppose to be stainless steel well its rusty and doesnt stay sharp long enough to cut anything i dont mind spending money if its a quality knife

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
ive got a mustad fillet knife suppose to be stainless steel well its rusty and doesnt stay sharp long enough to cut anything i dont mind spending money if its a quality knife
sounds like my knife.
will watch this thread with intrest

G

·
Hey Adey i've got one of them too, it'd be easier to sharpen a newspaper, and I think the paper would hold it's edge for longer

Ubd

·
Registered
747 Posts
i got 1 aswell. i have gone through 3 in the last year. wat a pants knife. the only thing were do you get a quality 1 from they are the only ones i see advitised??? were will i get 1 of those abu ones?????

·
Registered
184 Posts
The trouble with knives nowadays is the quality of the steel they use, on a lot of the not so expensive ones its crap,best filleting knife i have was given to me by an old boy years ago,it has the old bone type handle,i admit it aint the best looking knife,but it has the good old steel blade,when its sharpened its like a razor,and more importantly it stays sharp for ages,you can often see them in boot sales for pennies,not every one would want one,but im not a tackle tart and it does the job better than any modern one ive tried.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Go for a Marttiini - highly recommended.

Check e-bay for the best prices - though I got mine from a company called baconsdozen ( google it ) years ago- the guy was very helpful.

·
Freeloader
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just had a google search for the martini knife there 2-3 diff types of fillet or would any of them do

G

·
I have the Mustad one as well as half a dozen others. They are all rubbish. I finally bought a proper chefs filleting knife from the cash and carry and so far it is has stayed sharp and not gone rusty.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
MY uncle uses a normark knife and i use a martinni, both equally good, easy to sharpen, stays sharp longer than most other brands and sharper than Anne Robinsons tongue..
You get what you pay for when it come to filleting knives i have found

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
used a normak for years now great knifes that just work
still got its original sheath aswell , but if i lost it (dont think it would break )i would look at a martini if its judged as good or better

1 - 20 of 40 Posts