World Sea Fishing Forums banner

need a new fillet knife

3K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  cupboardlad 
#1 ·
ive got a mustad fillet knife suppose to be stainless steel well its rusty and doesnt stay sharp long enough to cut anything i dont mind spending money if its a quality knife

#5 ·
i got 1 aswell. i have gone through 3 in the last year. wat a pants knife. the only thing were do you get a quality 1 from they are the only ones i see advitised??? were will i get 1 of those abu ones?????

#7 ·
The trouble with knives nowadays is the quality of the steel they use, on a lot of the not so expensive ones its crap,best filleting knife i have was given to me by an old boy years ago,it has the old bone type handle,i admit it aint the best looking knife,but it has the good old steel blade,when its sharpened its like a razor,and more importantly it stays sharp for ages,you can often see them in boot sales for pennies,not every one would want one,but im not a tackle tart and it does the job better than any modern one ive tried.

#16 ·
MY uncle uses a normark knife and i use a martinni, both equally good, easy to sharpen, stays sharp longer than most other brands and sharper than Anne Robinsons tongue..
You get what you pay for when it come to filleting knives i have found

#23 ·
they dont realy sharpen all they do is re-edge your knife if you watch when you use them you can see the old metal comming off
Eh I'd defy you to run the blade accross your hand after "re-edging", if it doesn't really sharpen.....I think you're being a little pedantic, the knife will be sharper after using the tool I named and a knife that won't sharpen by conventional methods would be extremely sharp after using it. I don't get your point.

#25 ·
I went through a phase of having "Fishing" knives. All started to go blunt when used on a significant amount of fish (Other peoples, mostly). Mustard, gerber, etc.

I now use chef's knives. Filleting or boning knives with a sharpening stone. Saved the sheaves from the other rubbish ones.

Don't buy hunting, or diving knives. Very macho. But useless for what we need.

#26 ·
I bought the Gerber Gator knife bought from the earlier TopTrout site - link below. I also at the same time purchased the pricier Normark folding fillet knife for filleting/cutting squid etc on the beach and it's fantastic. Early days though - I will let you know how they cope later, only had 'em a few months. The site mentioned gave me a very good service. The Gator slipped through a fat trout's neck on Sunday with no probs and having a travelling foldable knife when you're out is great.:clap3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.