World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Herring can be a good bait, dogfish and dabs love it, conger and whiting eat it too.
If it is fresh it is as good as squid or mackerel, probably better for dabs and flounder. I don't know what is about in your area but most fish will take fishbait.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
2 years one of the big opens was won by a guy who put a lump of herring on as he was getting bored towards the end of the match. he won it with a 6lb cod.

in your local area dabs, whiting and coalies will all take herring but not as quickly as they will take other baits.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Herring is a superb bait, but it has GOT to be fresh, and I mean FRESH!! The things you see in fishmongers labelled "fresh" are in reality several days old. A herring straight out of the sea will be running with oil, and will be irridescent with similar colours to a fresh mackerels belly. If you don't live by the coast, you may find getting the fresh ones difficult to get. The best ones are the January longshore herrings from the river Blackwater, Essex, frozen straight off the beach with the hooks ready in the baits. They were called "Herring Lollies" when I lived in clacton, and were the bait for thornbacks around this time of year.

philtherod

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Herring is a superb bait, but it has GOT to be fresh, and I mean FRESH!! The things you see in fishmongers labelled "fresh" are in reality several days old. A herring straight out of the sea will be running with oil, and will be irridescent with similar colours to a fresh mackerels belly. If you don't live by the coast, you may find getting the fresh ones difficult to get. The best ones are the January longshore herrings from the river Blackwater, Essex, frozen straight off the beach with the hooks ready in the baits. They were called "Herring Lollies" when I lived in clacton, and were the bait for thornbacks around this time of year.

philtherod
Just to agree with Phil, and to point out that if the herring is red in the head when you buy it, you might as well fish with chicken bones, cos crabs are all you are going to get. (Before there is a flood of posts, I know SOMETIMES fish will eat red headed herring, but then I have also caught bass on chicken....)There is a guy sells these same Blackwater herrings fresh frozen, although if he is set up to send via mail order, I dont know. His name is Froggy, and he is one of a kind!! A nicer, more eccentric guy you are unlikely to meet. You can call him on 01621 741771 to find out. I also think that herring strips outfish mackerel strips on the float, as they are that bit more silvery and closer to the baitfish they are supposed to represent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to agree with Phil, and to point out that if the herring is red in the head when you buy it, you might as well fish with chicken bones, cos crabs are all you are going to get. (Before there is a flood of posts, I know SOMETIMES fish will eat red headed herring, but then I have also caught bass on chicken....)There is a guy sells these same Blackwater herrings fresh frozen, although if he is set up to send via mail order, I dont know. His name is Froggy, and he is one of a kind!! A nicer, more eccentric guy you are unlikely to meet. You can call him on 01621 741771 to find out. I also think that herring strips outfish mackerel strips on the float, as they are that bit more silvery and closer to the baitfish they are supposed to represent.
Thats right rob, you go and get froggy all sold out before I fill my freezer up why don't you! (edit) (edit)

OCB.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A good tipping bait for dabs and flounder. I like to cut 1cm squares of mackerel, herring, sprat and squid up and use it as a cocktial threading about 6-8 squares on a sive 1/0-2 hook. In the Northeast this method is known as the 'kebab', it was responsible for taking big bags of flounders and was a top matchmans secret for years. It still works well now, especially off flounder marks such as the River Aln, Embleton and Warkworth beach for flatties, coalies, codling and occasional small bass will also take it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Doing this and adding a few beads onto a coloured trace (red or green Amnesia) has accounted for some good flounders. In some regions such as ours fish baits can often outfish worm and crab baits at times of year for the flounders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts