World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i just started fishing with my dad and i have bin using a uptider rod and recec
untly tried a abussx with sports mag and was quiet comftable and conferdant in using it but due to my build im un able to bend the rod and gaining no distance can any one help me out with some information with rods for small build people?
all imformation would me greate tight lines:clap2:

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
hi all i just started fishing with my dad and i have bin using a uptider rod and recec
untly tried a abussx with sports mag and was quiet comftable and conferdant in using it but due to my build im un able to bend the rod and gaining no distance can any one help me out with some information with rods for small build people?
all imformation would me greate tight lines:clap2:
Hi sh*tbrake first of all how old are you mate because if you are young it will take time to be able to cast a good way stay with what you got untill you build your self up tight lines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi lads im 15 5ft4 but not alot of upper body muscle tride my dads penn surf rod and did ok with distance but for the ground around the marks on the channel ive fished its not raelly any good i need a light rod with good action and be able to take the tide run any ideas? tight lines:g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If its rough ground you won't want a softer more forgiving blank. Fish usually come closer over rougher ground anway. A few things you could try would be to use a surf rod or a similar style of rod. These are lighter and generally more friendly to cast. My advise is not to get to hung up on the distance issue though, its not the be all and end all of it mate. Just enjoy your fishing and get down the field to try working on a better casting style or technique, or better still call a casting instructor and arrange a session.

·
Banned
56 Posts
As bass-ic says you should try a casting instructor or go practice on a field

you dont need to be big or well built to cast m8 its all down to style and timing

Im 6 foot and big built up top but im no power caster

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I dont know why people get so hung up on casting. For normal fishing it is alot easier to use the high reel position, the reels magnets on a safe setting and a simple off the ground cast or overhead thump.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My only other suggestion is to try a longer 16ft rod such as the Shakespear K2 Red Metal, the Greys Triplex or the Century Ccc. These will help your casting and add a few yards on, but dont expect miracles. the downside is that these rods can get caught by wind more sitting in the trippod and are more disrupted by wave motion.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I dont normally recommend zziplexes [purely out of personal preference] but you could do worse than look for a second hand 2500-its an easy rod to cast but will allow you to grow into it as your skill increases.In fact unless you fish different types of ground it could easily be the only rod you ever need.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd agree with Sean or even suggest a 2nd hand Zziplex Dream Machine Special Match, over 15 years old but most of my PBs were landed on it including eels over 30lb and bass to almost 12lb.

I used it when I was 15 and was hitting distance not far from what I get now. I think the more you bend it rule applies especially for younger people or people with less upper body strength. Its the only rod I've kept for 15 years so its gotta be something special...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
it's not muscle that gets distance it's technique. a young friend of mine used to have the same trouble, he learnt a good pendulum style when he was 15. by time he was 16 he could put a lead over 200 yrds (further than me).

my friend was about 5ft 8 with no arm muscle when he could hit 200, and i was 6ft 3 with big arm muscles. now his got stronger and bloody hell can wind them up now. it's prob better to learn the technique when there isn't too much power to control.

you do need to find a rod that you can comfortably use now though. maybe get a second hand one that you can bend and upgrade as you need to.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You might like to look at some of the estuary rods or bass rods. These won't give huge distances but will smooth out your casting and for you probably give more distance. I definitely wouldn't recommend a long rod unless it's one of the very soft ones. All I've seen are fairly stiff but maybe fladen.
On bass many (pm dabcatcher) rate one of the shakespeare rods highly. It will handle big fish too.

John

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think you mean the Shakey Oddessa Bass mate, which is a good piece of kit for under £50. A suitbable rod fopr you may be the Greys BZe 3-5oz, a nice light rod which casts lighter leads well, but will handle general beachcasting to as well as estuary style fishing.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yep is was the odessa. By all accounts it's a good rod and should be ideal for a lightly built 15 year old.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts